Considering Dynaudio Audience 62 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Considering Dynaudio Audience 62

YBArcam
08-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Hi all,

First post here. I can't believe I haven't discovered this place until now. Looks like an informative forum.

Anyhow, I am considering buying the Dynaudio Audience 62 floorstanders. I've got a couple of concerns.

1. Is my amp good enough to drive them? I have a YBA YA201, rated at 100w. I'm not too concerned about it but figured I'd ask, since Dynaudio has a reputation for needing lots of juice. However, I've read reviews that state that even though their speakers are rated at 4 Ohms, this is often misleading as their impedence curves tend to be smooth and over 5 most of the time. And the YBA is a pretty decent integrated.

2. Room size. My room is not large, it's 10.5 feet by 11.5 feet. Dynaudio recommends their speakers ideally be 2m apart, which I can do. And I would listen about 2 meters away. Would these towers overpower the room?

Just to give a bit of background info, I just bought a pair of Wharfedale Evo2-10, but I am now second guessing that choice and looking at floorstanders for a couple of reasons. I don't have stands for the Wharfedale's (they will go on a desk along with the amp/CD player, not ideal perhaps but it is a very heavy and stable desk and doesn't seem to negatively affect sound to me). Also, these speakers will ultimately see home theatre duty, and I'm thinking maybe floorstanders are better in that regard. But that is probably 2-5 years away, so I'd be living with them as my stereo speakers for some time. Thirdly, I won't have to use a subwoofer. I don't mind subwoofers, but they aren't always easy to integrate.

Or I could live with the EVOs for a while and always sell them in a few years, and buy a pair of Dynaudio Excite floorstanders when it comes time to do the home theatre. I'm considering the Audience now because of the good prices.

Feanor
08-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Hi all,

First post here. I can't believe I haven't discovered this place until now. Looks like an informative forum.

Anyhow, I am considering buying the Dynaudio Audience 62 floorstanders. I've got a couple of concerns.

1. Is my amp good enough to drive them? I have a YBA YA201, rated at 100w. I'm not too concerned about it but figured I'd ask, since Dynaudio has a reputation for needing lots of juice. However, I've read reviews that state that even though their speakers are rated at 4 Ohms, this is often misleading as their impedence curves tend to be smooth and over 5 most of the time. And the YBA is a pretty decent integrated.

2. Room size. My room is not large, it's 10.5 feet by 11.5 feet. Dynaudio recommends their speakers ideally be 2m apart, which I can do. And I would listen about 2 meters away. Would these towers overpower the room?

Welcome to AR Forums, YBArcam. (I like your moniker, BTW.)

Your room is quite small and, although there are other considerations, I suspect 100 wpc for a quality amp like the YBA ought to sufficient for the 86 dB sensitivity Dynaudio Audience 62.

I'm not specifically familiar with the 62, but it isn't a huge speaker of sort designed to fill huge rooms, so I doubt it will overwhelm yours.

Room set up is always a consideration. 6' apart and 6' from your listening position should be considered only a starting point and you should experiment. Distance of the speakers from the wall behind them will influence the sound. Also, the side walls and the rear wall behind your listening position might benefit from treatments to absorb reflections.

Tmankiller72
08-16-2009, 07:54 PM
I have 2 pairs of Dynaudio Audience 52se's and an Audience 120c ,they do an admirable job for ht/music. I'm currently running an Anthem MCA 3 amp for the front 3 channels and letting the Onkyo TX-SR805 handle the surround duties. I'm not sure if the what YBA is rated at 4 ohms but it should be sufficient fir the 62's , I'm sure you'll be happy with the Dyn's.

YBArcam
08-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll double check the manual for the YBA amp just to make sure it can handle a 4 ohm speaker, but I'm pretty sure it's up to the task. I'll post when I know the final decision, Evo2-10 or Audience 62. Right now I am totally undecided.

One other question - if I don't get the Audience now I'll likely buy the Excite somewhere down the road. Being the Audience replacement I'm assuming it's better. How would you guys rate the two lines?

YBArcam
10-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Just posting an update. Plans have definitely changed.

When I created this thread I had the following:

Source: Arcam DV135, Marantz DV7001 (universal players because I have SACD/DVD-A discs)
Amp: YBA YA201
Speakers: Tannoy Mercury F2, Wharfedale Evo2-10
Sub: Mission MS-8

I also had a pair of Quad 12L active speakers and a Denon UDM-50 minisystem. I actually really liked the 12L, but have opted to go with passive speakers.

The Arcam was too laid back for me, it felt like music was moving in slow motion, the timing sounded really off. I tried the Marantz, things definitely improved.

So I traded in the Quad, the Arcam, and my Denon minisystem for a Rega Saturn. I used the Denon as a trade in to get $900 off the price (Rega promotion) and got a good chunk of change for the other two pieces. Now I had a Saturn and YBA amp, I felt that a solid amp and CDP were now in place. Things sound great now, but the speakers are obviously the weak link. I am back to my Tannoy's as I just do not like the Wharfedale sound.

I picked up a Cambridge Audio Azur 550T tuner.

Now I am planning on trading in the Tannoy (great speakers but the rest of the system is at another level), the Wharfedale, the Marantz and the Mission sub for a replacement for the Marantz, which will be a Cambridge Audio BD650. It plays Blu-ray, CD, DVD, SACD, and DVD-A. I'll have Blu-ray which I will take advantage of, and it'll match my tuner nicely.

I am also buying a Martin Logan Dynamo sub to replace the Mission. Good prices on these lately.

And as for speakers, that's the one part that is still undecided. It looks like it's coming down to Monitor Audio RX2, B&W 685, or the Paradigm Studio 20. I'll be doing some demoing in about a month's time. I find myself hoping the RX2 wins. Brand new design with an 8 inch woofer. We'll see how it works out I guess.

Hyfi
10-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Don't rule out the danes. Head to head, they will probably out perform the B&Ws although they are nice. I have a pair of 82s and a pair of 42s and love both. I helped a friend put together a system a few years ago using the 72s. With your room size, and the fact that you will use a sub, you could get away with the 52s and good stands.

Question, where are they still selling the Audience line. It has been replaced with Excite, smaller footprint, larger price.

YBArcam
10-28-2009, 08:48 AM
I could have got the 62's from World Wide Stereo. They still had that model in stock when I first created this thread. Now I think I'd have to buy used if I wanted the 52's.

It'll be tougher to demo a pair of 52's than the other models for me. I'd have to find someone selling used locally. I could possibly go for the Excite x16, but I think that retails for more than the other speakers on my list. The Paradigms and Monitor Audio's are already pushing it. I may try to seek them out, since I've always been curious about Dynaudio speakers.

Hyfi
10-28-2009, 10:25 AM
I could have got the 62's from World Wide Stereo. They still had that model in stock when I first created this thread. Now I think I'd have to buy used if I wanted the 52's.

It'll be tougher to demo a pair of 52's than the other models for me. I'd have to find someone selling used locally. I could possibly go for the Excite x16, but I think that retails for more than the other speakers on my list. The Paradigms and Monitor Audio's are already pushing it. I may try to seek them out, since I've always been curious about Dynaudio speakers.

Ah, sounds like we are neighbors as WWS is where I got my 52s. Did you demo the 62s? and with what gear? My guess is the 62s are pretty much a 52 with a floorstanding cabinet. I love the Audience line and have yet to hear the Excite.

YBArcam
10-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Actually I'm up in Canada (Toronto area). I would have ordered via phone from WWS. I would have had to buy without listening first but the price on the 62 was really good. After my experience with the Wharfedales I decided perhaps buying locally would be a better bet (at least for speakers). I bought the Wharfedales over the phone, found I didn't like them, and that ended up costing me money. So for this reason I decided not to pursue the 62's.

frenchmon
10-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Question, where are they still selling the Audience line. It has been replaced with Excite, smaller footprint, larger price.

They are selling them here with a lots of other speakers and other goodies.

http://www.audiophileliquidator.net/index.php?manufacturers_id=86&osCsid=89b8433c8e78c6fbc2f988cf1d607cef

frenchmon

Mr Peabody
10-28-2009, 04:52 PM
The Excite have a similar sonic signature as the Audience but the drivers were designed to be pushed easier by receivers and amps with less current output. The specs look similar but Dynaudio says the drivers have been redesigned to be less of a burden. They realize many people are having to compromise with using one system for both HT and music. Unfortunately, HT receivers don't have nearly the juice a decent integrated might have.

You are looking at some decent brands but I also feel the Dynaudio are the better speakers. Of course, notice the signature. I have a pair of 60's in a second system and they never sease to amaze me with their power handling and incredible response from a 6" 2-way. The Audience came with port plugs for placement close to the wall or if you wanted to tame the bass. I'm not positive if Excite do this but I'd assume so.

If you did happen to buy a brand new pair of Dynaudio they are a brand that positively need break in. So don't panic and think it's a Wharfdale thing. The tweets will smooth and the bass will eventually loosen up. Trust me, in this case "loosen" is a good thing. The drivers are so tight out of the box it's unbelievable.

Interesting comment on the Arcam. I haven't heard that exact model but if it's laid back it would be a first for them. Arcam is typically fast and articulate. It's really surprising you found the Marantz better.

Mr Peabody
10-28-2009, 04:58 PM
Also, our Dynaudio dealer used to sell Audience to folks buying larger Marantz HT receivers, I've driven my 60's with Yamaha and Sansui vintage integrated amps, so your YBA should be a good match. My second system with the 60's is also in a small room, maybe 12x12 and it's fine. If nothing on walls to stop reflections this may be something you'd want to address regardless which brand you end up with.

YBArcam
10-29-2009, 02:26 PM
I will probably look into some acoustic room treatments for the wall behind my listening position. Not that the room is all that lively. It's carpeted, furnished, and the ceiling has those bumps in it to help absorb sound. But still, I'll probably add some treatments if I find things a little too bright.

I might listen to some Totem Rainmakers this weekend. I'll have some time to kill on Saturday and I may stop by a dealer nearby.

razzbo56
12-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Not trying to highjack your thread,but I just bought the Focus 220II and the Focus 220C .I have a pair of 72's and the 122C in cherry that I am the original owner of that are only 4 months old. I am asking $1400.00 plus shipping if you are interested. You can see them at audiogon. They are flawless with no marks or scratches at all. Love those Dyn's !

ren9328
12-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Well, I stumbled upon the right thread here!

I actually owned the YBA YA201. I powered a pair of Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MkI's with it and it did very well. The YBA is definitely up to the task and is good enough sounding to sit in the company of very good speakers.It also doesn't hurt that it is gorgeously built.

Your room is a little small but I think with a little treatment it will be fine for the Dyns. I am currently using the Dynaudio Contour 1.3 SE model with a Krell KAV 300iL in a moderately sized living room (12.5'x18') and they are stunning. I have listened to the Audience 52s which are very similar to the 62s but in a smaller cabinet. They are fantastic speakers refined, svelte, accurate,yet they will easily knock you out of your room should you ask them. Dynaudios take a long time to break in but it is worth the effort. The sound of Dynaudio does not change as you move up in their product range either. All of their speakers are very neutral but moving up will get you refinement (lots of it!) As you may know Dynaudio makes ALL of their own drivers and the parts that they are made from. They take as much pride in the Audience series as the Evidence because they want you as a future customer.

I feel that you would be very happy with your purchase of the Audience 62s and they are so good that they will be with you through many future upgrades. As a bonus when it's time for your home theater it is fairly easy to find Audience C120 centers and A42s for your surrounds reasonably on the used market. According to Mick Tillman of Dyn USA the newer Excite series has a better cabinet and more refined tweeter than the Audience series. Keep in mind though that these steps are small. For example the Audience 52 as compared to the Contour 1.3 was very good sounding it just had a little less of everything. Think about this though: The Audience 52s were $1000.00, the Contour 1.3s were $2400.00, the 1.3 SEs were $3600.00!:yikes:

I had never heard a pair of Dynaudio speakers in person before buying my first pair. It was the best move that I have made in audio. They have a loyal customer in me for life.

If you are not totally against used you can occasionally find a used pair of the Contour 1.3s used on Audiogon. Don't judge them by their size though they punch with weight that can shame many floorstanders and are capable of filling a good sized room with quality sound without the need for a sub.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

YBArcam
12-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Hey guys,

Plans keep on changing. A speaker upgrade to a $1500ish bookshelf is probably far into the future now. I purchased a pair of Monitor Audio RS5 speakers. As you are probably aware, the RS series is discontinued and deals can be had. I also snagged a center channel as I'm sure one day the RS5 will be used as HT speakers. I wanted to ensure I got a center since I figure that might be tough to get in the future, tougher than the rears at least (which I'll buy when I need them). For now the RS5 will be my stereo speaker.

Never heard them before, but I had the chance to hear the RS6 a couple of times and I really enjoyed it. So I'm expecting good things. At only $499 for the RS5 I just had to do it. I pick them up in a few days. It was a cost effective way to get a speaker I can enjoy today and one that I can use down the road for home theater.

I really think the Rega Saturn is an amazing player, but I can't shake the feeling that using it with the YA201 may not be optimal. Why? Well, when listening I just feel like something is missing. Maybe the new speakers will change that. But I feel like I need to explore getting an amp and CD player made by the same brand. Same brand = same sonic signature = synergy. That's the thought. Also, I'm starting to think that the smoothness of the YBA and Rega might just be more suited to genres like classical and jazz, which I don't really listen to. I need something that rocks but at the same time isn't very harsh. Enter Exposure and Naim.

This week I'm going to listen to the Exposure 2010s line and the Naim 5i line. If it's a revelation I will sell my gear and buy one of those. If not then I might stand pat. If I get the Exposure I'll probably even make some money out of this move, if I get the Naim I'll have to spend a bit more. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

I've got nothing against the Saturn or YA201 - they are great pieces. Just that for my tastes they possibly aren't the best options.

Mr Peabody
12-04-2009, 10:07 PM
In general, I believe that as well, same brand gear have better synergy together than mixing.

Before disposing of both pieces it might be wise to experiment to see if both units are too soft or if one is making the other that way. Maybe take the Saturn with you to an audition if you aren't bringing sometinghome or have a friend with gear to switch around. If you already know for sure both are soft, ah, nevermind. :)

YBArcam
12-05-2009, 11:03 AM
The dealer I'm going to carries Rega, so I'll listen on their Saturn. But I'll bring along the YBA. First I hope to listen to YBA/Saturn, just to get a feel for that in the dealer's room. Then switch it up for Exposure and Naim. I might, might, also listen to a Saturn/Mira3 system...but from reading about Rega, this is kind of the Rega sound. The only question I have is whether to bring the RS5 as well. Of course it makes sense to hear things through my speakers, but I'm trying to hear differences in amp/CDP combos, so in theory any good speaker should be fine.

Mr Peabody
12-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Even though a speaker may be good they can still differ widely in presentation. Before going through dragging your entire system in, you need to just have the store allow you an in home audition of the amp or CDP you are interested in. Room acoustics play a large part. Besides that an audition goes better when you are comfortable in your own home listening to music you like.

If you take one piece like a CDP into the store it's easy to A/B against another CDP in the same system. At least you can tell what difference it makes against the other player.

I've never heard Exposure but Naim is good stuff.