Replacing sub for Cambridge Soundworks [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Replacing sub for Cambridge Soundworks

sushiboy21
08-15-2009, 07:03 PM
I have a Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble II system I purchased in 1994. It has been simply fantastic and I had hoped it would last me for life.

Then along came Rock Band.

With my 10-year-old on drums, and me on guitar, we blew out the bottom playing Rush's Tom Sawyer. Now I can't get a peep out of the sub.

I'm not sure if I've blown the drivers or the crossover in the sub. I opened up the enclosure and found the rubber rings around the cones were falling apart, but the cones themselves seem to be moving okay.

The system has two satellite speakers and one passive subwoofer with two drivers (6.5", I think).

A couple of questions:

Is it worth trying to replace the drivers and/or electronics? Could I do it myself? Or should I just buy a new sub?

I'm not really looking for an upgrade, just want my system to sound the way it did before by kid went Neil Peart all over it.

Also, if anyone can point me to specifications for the Ensemble II, I would be grateful. It might help me match up a sub to the satellites if I decide to buy a new one.

My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V590 surround sound, with 75W per channel.

Mr Peabody
08-16-2009, 05:22 AM
From what you say a new sub would be in order, one with more power and larger woofer so it can take more abuse or fulfill your user demand. It sounds like that system may have been a matched set where they usually run the crossover a bit higher than a typical sub but most new subs will have a variable crossover for a fairly smooth integration with your satelite speakers. If you watch movies through this system a sub is in order but you might want to also think of getting some larger tower speakers for the front as well. With both larger mains and a larger sub you should be able to rock with Rush without incident. Well, as long as you don't run your receiver beyond what it's capable of doing.

What size is the room and what budget would you be in? Check out the SVS website.

N. Abstentia
08-16-2009, 06:47 AM
Is this one of those systems where the satellites actually connect to the subwoofer?

yogo
08-21-2009, 04:46 PM
http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/pdf/manuals/new_ens2.pdf

Cambridge Soundworks has always had excellent customer service. Send the sub to them for repair assuming you don't plan to use this system for Rock Band. It wasn't built for the musical dynamic power you are using.

You can use the speakers separately from the sub that came with the system.
If you want to keep using your system for Rock Band I would buy a separate powered subwoofer. If you liked the passive (non-powered) sub that you had before I believe you would be very impressed with a powered sub for your purposes.

A good, relatively inexpensive powered sub can be bought from Parts Express. For $100 you can buy a 8" powered sub that would do you well.
They also have excellent customer service. Give them a call if you have any questions on sub choice.

http://www.parts-express.com/home.cfm

yogo
08-23-2009, 05:14 AM
http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/pdf/manuals/new_ens2.pdf

Cambridge Soundworks has always had excellent customer service. Send the sub to them for repair assuming you don't plan to use this system for Rock Band. It wasn't built for the musical dynamic power you are using.

You can use the speakers separately from the sub that came with the system.
If you want to keep using your system for Rock Band I would buy a separate powered subwoofer. If you liked the passive (non-powered) sub that you had before I believe you would be very impressed with a powered sub for your purposes.

A good, relatively inexpensive powered sub can be bought from Parts Express. For $100 you can buy a 8" powered sub that would do you well.
They also have excellent customer service. Give them a call if you have any questions on sub choice.

http://www.parts-express.com/home.cfm