take your time and buy it right [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : take your time and buy it right

nusiclover
03-22-2004, 10:21 PM
i was anxious to get sound in my home. and 2 months ago i only knew of B&W and Dynaudio. So i spent some time with the two and opted to go with Dynaudio. Then, after spending $3000 i found out that Dynaudio is not my speaker of choice. (i also discovered that i care more about 2 channel music then HT - different story altogether). I discovered that after i had already spent the huge $$$ (for me) that Dynaudio , though great in an HT setup, is not my ideal choice for 2channel. I found Von Schweikert VR1 paired with tubes to be way more of what i was looking for when i close my eyes and smile along with my tunes. However, i already am locked into the Dynaudio setup. So, please, please, if you are starting out take your time to do it well the first time. THere is no rush (and i strongly recommned that if you neeed music for the time being get a cheapo at best buy for under $150) take your time to get to know speakers at many different dealers before dropping your life savings on a system you could regret later. Anyway, i am torn between selling my new in-the-box stuff (dynaudio 52se and musical fidelity a3.2) or convincing myself that they really sound good before wednesday when i go to pick them all up and get home real excited to set it up. I am really hoping not to be dissapointed, after all they are $3000 (not including cables). I have learned that many here can tear up what are otherwise decent products, so if you would could you list your pros on the dynaudio/mf setup...or should i visit audiogon, take a small loss (they are still new in box) and start over with VR1 and tubes>?

thanks all. and remember, dont make my dumb/desperate mistake and take your time and buy it right.

03-22-2004, 11:47 PM
and dont forget to audition with your own music.
Use stuff that is well recorded, you will be able to find out more about the speaker that way. Badly recorded music will sound bad no matter what you do.
Test out the volume loud as well as soft. Good speakers should maintain good detail even at low volumes.
Most importantly, set a budget and stick with it. Last thing you want is the dealer trying to push you toward something more expensive.

markw
03-23-2004, 04:14 AM
When shopping for for speakers, always make music your main listening concern. virtually all speakers that sound good for music will sound good for HT. The converse is not always true. Speakers that sound good on HT don't always sound good on music.

...unless you don't plan on listening to much music. In which case, never mind.

pieterd
03-23-2004, 06:08 AM
"Pick them up Wednesday"...why can't you simply cancel the deal?

NickWH
03-23-2004, 06:34 AM
If you want a warmer sound with the Dynaudios, sell your MF and try a used Plinius or SimAudio. You should at least break even. Also, don't judge the 52's until they've been playing for at least 300 hours...

You could also use tubes in your source. CD players like the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 ($700) and Cary 308T ($1500 used) use tube buffered output stages, and can also do upsampling to smooth out the sound. The Jolida CD-100 is a full tube CD player (under $1000). These are ways to introduce tubes into your system without having to rebuild the whole thing. You have options...

Worf101
03-23-2004, 07:39 AM
or cancel the order... Live with them awhile. See what they actually sound like "in the room" with your equipment. Don't be in as big a rush to can them as you were to buy them. Do some room adjustments, maybe get a graphic equalizer or some other in-stream equipment. If in a a month's time you still hate em, sell em and get what you really want.

Da Worfster

topspeed
03-23-2004, 08:25 AM
convincing myself that they really sound good before wednesday when i go to pick them all up and get home real excited to set it up. I am really hoping not to be dissapointed...so if you would could you list your pros on the dynaudio/mf setup...or should i visit audiogon, take a small loss (they are still new in box) and start over with VR1 and tubes?

...you just don't know it yet. If you have to "convince yourself" that they sound good and are looking toward us to support and justify your purchase by listing "pros on the dynaudio/mf setup", nusic my friend, there's not a thing we can say or do to change your mind. It's already set in stone.

About your deal that you can't get out of: Hogwash. Posession is 9/10ths of the law and last time I checked, you were not in posession. You can cancel this deal. The shop may not be particularily happy about it but trust me, you can cancel the deal. From a legal standpoint, a bi-lateral contract is not deemed consumated until both parties receive some product or service agreed to within the contract. You haven't received your products therefore there is no contract. Period.

Look, buying the VR1/Jolida rig that you want will not only satisfy your musicial sensibilities but also allow your subconscious to rest because trust me, if you buy ANYTHING that you have to convice yourself about, you will question that purchase till the end of time. Can't you hear it, "Man, this sounds really great...I wonder how much better it would have been on the VR1's?" AAAUUUGH! Plus, you get to pocket an addn'l $1K in savings for cables, tunes, whatever.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

TS

topspeed
03-23-2004, 08:29 AM
or cancel the order... Live with them awhile. See what they actually sound like "in the room" with your equipment. Don't be in as big a rush to can them as you were to buy them. Do some room adjustments, maybe get a graphic equalizer or some other in-stream equipment. If in a a month's time you still hate em, sell em and get what you really want.

Da Worfster

Brother your killin' me! I just saw Pulp Fiction on Sunday for the the first time since it was released on video and you took Jules away! I even thought of you during the final diner scene because of the quote.

Ah well, at least you're a SouthPark fan too.

Worf101
03-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Brother your killin' me! I just saw Pulp Fiction on Sunday for the the first time since it was released on video and you took Jules away! I even thought of you during the final diner scene because of the quote.

Ah well, at least you're a SouthPark fan too.

I love that Avatar and it will be back. I just like changing stuff. The Pu**ies that run this place didn't like my South Park quotation so I'm gonna have to change it.

Da Worfster

Woochifer
03-23-2004, 08:53 PM
Sorry to hear that you're investing all this money in components that you ultimately don't like all that much. I guess my question to you is what your goals are for your system. Your previous thread mentioned that you were looking basically assembling a home theatre setup, and have since shifted gears and decided to focus on two-channel. And if I recall, you started with a budget of $1,000 and you've invested $3,000 and counting. I guess it is an object lesson in taking the time, but it's also a case of buying without a set of priorities.

But, geez buyer's remorse doesn't usually kick in until a few months AFTER you bought something! Dynaudio's a damn good speaker and once you bring it home, you very well might be surprised how well it works out. I guess another question is why you kept on adding speakers to your system and configuring for home theater when your main priority was two-channel music. Also, what it is about your current system that you don't like?

Don't take it personally, but I think your whole conclusion of preferring the tube setup is nothing but a blind leap because a lot could also have to do with the demo room where you tried them out. You're doing listenings of completely different setups in completely different acoustical environments, and trying to draw conclusions about specific reasons for causal differences. With that many variables, my guess would be just as valid as yours. Even if you took that Von Schweikert/tube system home, it still might sound unsatisfactory if the room acoustics in your home aren't right.

Tube equipment has its backers and I've heard quite a few tube systems that sound quite nice. But, they have their own sets of drawbacks in that they're fussier to deal with on a daily basis and typically have a much more limited range of functions.

A home theater receiver and tube amp are very different devices with different missions. The HT receiver is a nerve center for wide range of devices, and they have tremendous versatility, flexibility, and functionality. A tube amp has a much more stripped down purpose. If you can live with that, then the tubes are a good option. But, if you want digital format decoding, bass management, multichannel capability, multiroom functions, video switching, or audio processing capabilities, then you have to go with the AV receiver. I fully realized that some two-channel separates might sound subtlely better than the multichannel receiver that I bought, but without multichannel functionlity and digital decoding, those two-channel options had zero relevance given that my priority was to play back 5.1 sources.

While I sympathize with your situation, I DO NOT agree at all with the advice of just grabbing a $150 BB system in the meantime and start saving up for some high end system. In actuality, I would recommend going with entry level components and finding the best pair of bookshelf speakers that you can afford. For a first timer, I would not recommend going straight to high end components. The whole purpose of a good entry level system is to develop how you hear things, pick up on subtleties, and learn how to properly setup an audio system. For a lot of consumers, this might be all they want. Once the ears get attuned to a particular type of sound that they like, then you can start prioritizing how much you're willing to spend to go up to the next level.

$150 is about what I would recommend as the minimum price point just for acceptable speakers. The typical bundled systems below that price point make huge compromises in the sound quality. By going with an entry level receiver and some basic bookshelf speakers, you've got the full audio range covered, except the deep bass. Mini systems typically cannot cover that kind range at all, and the sound suffers. I went for 16 years with a pair of $150 speakers and a $250 receiver, and it suited me just fine for that duration. I was still into the hobby, going to high end stores and trade shows and listening to six-figure systems, but that still didn't detract from my basic enjoyment at home.

nusiclover
03-24-2004, 10:32 PM
Sorry to hear that you're investing all this money in components that you ultimately don't like all that much. I guess my question to you is what your goals are for your system. Your previous thread mentioned that you were looking basically assembling a home theatre setup, and have since shifted gears and decided to focus on two-channel. And if I recall, you started with a budget of $1,000 and you've invested $3,000 and counting. I guess it is an object lesson in taking the time, but it's also a case of buying without a set of priorities.

But, geez buyer's remorse doesn't usually kick in until a few months AFTER you bought something! Dynaudio's a damn good speaker and once you bring it home, you very well might be surprised how well it works out. I guess another question is why you kept on adding speakers to your system and configuring for home theater when your main priority was two-channel music. Also, what it is about your current system that you don't like?
Well,the fact that it just doenst sound good. And, the fact that it has gone far beyond my initial budget.

Don't take it personally, but I think your whole conclusion of preferring the tube setup is nothing but a blind leap because a lot could also have to do with the demo room where you tried them out. You're doing listenings of completely different setups in completely different acoustical environments, and trying to draw conclusions about specific reasons for causal differences. With that many variables, my guess would be just as valid as yours. Even if you took that Von Schweikert/tube system home, it still might sound unsatisfactory if the room acoustics in your home aren't right.
However, I did compare VR-1 with Dynaudio at the same store with the same amp.Tube equipment has its backers and I've heard quite a few tube systems that sound quite nice. But, they have their own sets of drawbacks in that they're fussier to deal with on a daily basis and typically have a much more limited range of functions.
True, but not a problem for a person that likes to fuss about tweaks and such.
A home theater receiver and tube amp are very different devices with different missions. The HT receiver is a nerve center for wide range of devices, and they have tremendous versatility, flexibility, and functionality. A tube amp has a much more stripped down purpose. If you can live with that, then the tubes are a good option. But, if you want digital format decoding, bass management, multichannel capability, multiroom functions, video switching, or audio processing capabilities, then you have to go with the AV receiver. I fully realized that some two-channel separates might sound subtlely better than the multichannel receiver that I bought, but without multichannel functionlity and digital decoding, those two-channel options had zero relevance given that my priority was to play back 5.1 sources.

While I sympathize with your situation, I DO NOT agree at all with the advice of just grabbing a $150 BB system in the meantime and start saving up for some high end system. In actuality, I would recommend going with entry level components and finding the best pair of bookshelf speakers that you can afford. For a first timer, I would not recommend going straight to high end components.
Yes, but my first system comprised of Bose and Nakamichi
My second system was built around B&W and Yamaha
My third system (once it is) will be better than those above!The whole purpose of a good entry level system is to develop how you hear things, pick up on subtleties, and learn how to properly setup an audio system. For a lot of consumers, this might be all they want. Once the ears get attuned to a particular type of sound that they like, then you can start prioritizing how much you're willing to spend to go up to the next level.
Being a musical afficionado, having been part of the recording industry, and being a guitar player and having attended a music school all make me a person that does have a good ear for the sound i like.

$150 is about what I would recommend as the minimum price point just for acceptable speakers. The typical bundled systems below that price point make huge compromises in the sound quality. By going with an entry level receiver and some basic bookshelf speakers, you've got the full audio range covered, except the deep bass. Mini systems typically cannot cover that kind range at all, and the sound suffers. I went for 16 years with a pair of $150 speakers and a $250 receiver, and it suited me just fine for that duration. I was still into the hobby, going to high end stores and trade shows and listening to six-figure systems, but that still didn't detract from my basic enjoyment at home.
While i understand your point, I still in full posture, stand by my initial advice which is that If a person is out to buy good sounding music, but hasto have music now(since i had no other music playing source at the time i began looking for my ideal system) ,then i very strongly advise to get the cheapest radio/cd played you can find. Even less than $150 is strogly recommened. This will give you music in the house now and more patience to find the ideal system. However, i do agree that if youve never had a hifi system, and you dont know a violin from a cello, then by all means, start out with a starting point low end hifi system. So, where you have a point on that point, it isnt compatible with my point.