Economical (But Good!) 5.1 System [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Economical (But Good!) 5.1 System

sportsradiony.com
08-14-2009, 07:37 AM
After doing some research, I seem to like the following Axiom Home Theatre System set of SPEAKERS that I received an online quote for:

Axiom Audio Home

1 CENTER VP100 $255.00 USD
2 FRONTS M50 $780.00 USD
2 REARS QS4 $428.00 USD
1 SUB EP175 $560.00 USD

Total System Cost: $2,023.00 USD
5% Home Theater Discount: $101.15 USD
Subtotal After Discount $1,921.85 USD

As good a deal as this seems to be, it is still over my budget for speakers. So, my question is 2 part:

1. Of the different speaker components above, which are "most important". My guess would be the FRONTS and REARS. I especially like the QS4 multidirectional rears. If I were to incorporate one of the Axiom elements above, which would you reccommend?

2. This question is a bit more straight forward. Although I realize I am not going to be able to find the same quality system in the $500 range (for all 6 speaker elements)- is there a particular system anyone might recommend in this price range?

I have a Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K receiver that does 120 Watts/Channel.

02audionoob
08-14-2009, 08:43 PM
1. Of the different speaker components above, which are "most important". My guess would be the FRONTS and REARS. I especially like the QS4 multidirectional rears. If I were to incorporate one of the Axiom elements above, which would you reccommend?

It's interesting you say that. Most of the movie soundtrack comes from the center speaker.

Mr Peabody
08-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Emotiva was closing out one of their speaker models at $149.00 a pair with $10.00 shipping. A couple people have bought them and say they are exceptional for the money. You could buy 5 individual speakers and add a sub later.

A sub is more important in a good HT set up than even I originally thought, so try to get the best you can afford.

I also saw a monitor type speaker at Musicians Friend for $99.00 each, a 6 1/2 2-way with aluminum cone woofer. I think the brand is KRK.

Don't buy cheezy speakers just to get all at once. If you have to, decide on what you like, even the Axiom, then buy a set at a time. Like start with mains and center, then sub, then rears. Or, mains and sub etc. Your receiver I'm sure will fill in a "phantom center" if you had to do without for a while. Just decide which is most important to you, get them and build from there. I think if you bought really cheap speakers that didn't sound good or small ones that aren't capable of reproducing the full response, you'd end up regreting it. The Emotiva's would be a good deal though.

02audionoob
08-15-2009, 04:53 AM
Don't buy cheezy speakers just to get all at once.

Could not agree more. I'd rather just do without rears and even the center if they were cutting into my budget for the fronts. And I'd especially never want a lesser-quality center.

jvc
08-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Have you considered these: http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm?
They are excellent speakers, and most folks know that SVS makes one of the best subs on the planet........... :)

pixelthis
08-15-2009, 05:22 PM
I have a set of M80's, even tho several years old they are basically the same as newer ones.
Thing about AXIOM, make sure your receiver can run 4 ohm speakers.
Another, AXIOM IS EITHER a cheaper version of Paradigm, or the fact that they both
use the same subsidized Canadian speaker lab means that their speakers are very similar. I know (IMHO) that the M80'S sound really good.
I WOULD TRY TO KEEP EVERYTHING "matched" if I could, I have done it both ways,
and the sound is a lot more seamless with the same brand in every position,
which is why I am giving the Axioms back in favor of my former B&W system.
Tmber matching is important.:1:

sportsradiony.com
08-17-2009, 06:28 AM
Hi all, thank you for all of your responses.

I already have some Bose cube speakers that I think I can use as rears (not sure the model), as I focus on the front, center, and sub. If I use these are rears, how imporatant is "matching" speaker manufacturers?

I was considering the Polk TSi/300 front speakers, perhaps with a matching center and sub-woofer in Polks same class/category. Is this too much "skimping"? Any thoughts on these speakers?

Since my Pioneer puts out 120W/channel, should I be looking at front speakers that do about 150W? More would be overkill for both the romm I am using them in, and the A/V receiver. The room is about 20x14 feet.

The Polk front TSi/300 speakers spec out at 20-150W/channel, 8 ohms, and 90dB.

Thanks again to all for all of the suggestions....

pixelthis
08-18-2009, 10:51 AM

I already have some Bose cube speakers that I think I can use as rears (not sure the model), as I focus on the front, center, and sub. If I use these are rears, how imporatant is "matching" speaker manufacturers?

I was considering the Polk TSi/300 front speakers, perhaps with a matching center and sub-woofer in Polks same class/category. Is this too much "skimping"? Any thoughts on these speakers?

Since my Pioneer puts out 120W/channel, should I be looking at front speakers that do about 150W? More would be overkill for both the romm I am using them in, and the A/V receiver. The room is about 20x14 feet.

Polks arent as good as they used to be.
Mostly you dont have to be concerned with overpowering speakers, five to ten watts
actual power will be plenty loud, actually. Receiver manufacturers depend on this ,
they know that their overstated power ratings will never be tested.
I doubt very seriously if your receiver can actually put out 120wpc, maybe for a few minutes
before it melts.
On a five channel receiver that would be a huge power supply,
and trust me, your Pioneer doesnt have that.:1:

Hyfi
08-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Polks arent as good as they used to be.

You got that one right. Just a week ago I got to hear a friends system of the top of the line Cambridge Azur Integrated and CDP through Polk LS-15s. I thought they sucked but am having a hard time finding the words to tell my friend what I really think as he loves his system.

The bass was mush and undetailed as was the midrange. No clear separation of instruments that I am sure the Caimbridge gear is capable of.

RoadRunner6
08-18-2009, 03:02 PM
I just replaced my beloved Axiom 5 speaker system (plus Outlaw LFM-1 Plus sub ... I like the Outlaw, SVS and HSU subs much better than the Axiom subs) with the Emotiva 5 speaker system, 3ea ERM-1's and 2ea ERD-1's surrounds. The price is simply amazing and they are a significant step up from the Axiom's. Very clean, defined, ultra smooth silk dome tweeter with huge power handling capability. All for $716 plus $10 shipping. You can add a sub from the above for $400-$700. The ERM-1' for left and right need stands. I got two Bello Sp-300 for $109 from RacksandStands.com and Emo SS-6 center stand. Don't be put off by the modest size. These speakers play very big with excellent dispersion and super natural sound. Both my wife and I think the understated satin black finish is classy looking. The build quality is extremely high.

I run my them with an Emotiva XPA-5 amp (350 watts per channel with all 5 ch/operating into 4 ohms) using my Sony ES receiver as a pre-pro. You might consider the same with your Pioneer as you have the funds. The XPA-5 amp would be a big improvement. Emo speakers plus XPA-5 amp plus Outlaw LFM-1 Compact sub = $1904.

http://emotiva.com/xpa5.shtm

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/bookshelf/emotiva-er-5-0-speaker-system-review

LeRoy
08-18-2009, 06:46 PM
After doing some research, I seem to like the following Axiom Home Theatre System set of SPEAKERS that I received an online quote for:

Axiom Audio Home

1 CENTER VP100 $255.00 USD
2 FRONTS M50 $780.00 USD
2 REARS QS4 $428.00 USD
1 SUB EP175 $560.00 USD

Total System Cost: $2,023.00 USD
5% Home Theater Discount: $101.15 USD
Subtotal After Discount $1,921.85 USD

As good a deal as this seems to be, it is still over my budget for speakers. So, my question is 2 part:

2. This question is a bit more straight forward. Although I realize I am not going to be able to find the same quality system in the $500 range (for all 6 speaker elements)- is there a particular system anyone might recommend in this price range?

I have a Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K receiver that does 120 Watts/Channel.

This might fit your budget and and possibly also your tonal and special effects preferences.

Velodyne VX-10 Subwoofer ($299.88), or Velodyne Impact-10 ($299.00), and Mirage
OMNI 150 ($119.88/pr).If you want to add a center channel then the Mirage OMNI C150 is $69.88. Note, since the Mirage are Omni speakers you might want to consider simply omitting the center channel?!?

Good luck.

LeRoy

bfalls
08-19-2009, 05:00 AM

You may want to check the specs on the Bose---If you can find them. Many Bose systems are proprietary and require the "base module" (can't call it a subwoofer) to drive them. They may not fall within the average 4-8ohm load you're used to seeing. I've seem at least one set of their auto speakers with an impedance of less than 2ohms. Especially if you're wanting to use them in the rear where some receivers provide less wattage.

Btw, I second the suggestion for the Emotivas. I have three ERM-1 I use as front speakers in one of my HT systems. Kudos to Emotiva for providing a great economical, well-rounded speaker and not gouging you on shipping.

LeRoy
09-17-2009, 06:23 PM
I discovered the site accessories4less.com last night and today I ordered a pair of Mordaunt Short Avant 902i speakers.

While checking out the site further I was surprised to find a quite a few great price/package deals on HT speaker systems. Just thought you might want to know.

LeRoy