Any Jack Johnson fans? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any Jack Johnson fans?

Mr Peabody
08-11-2009, 07:06 PM
He wasn't on my radar screen. I bought Songs & Lullaby's from the Movie Curious George for my daughter, it has that hit Upside Down. I had her on the treadmill and dropped Jack in for her to listen to, wow, very impressive sound quality. I haven't played it on the CJ system yet but I definitely plan to. I'd maybe be tempted to check out his vast catalog but all the samples I listened to were meeello. I'll try this disc I got her and see what it feels like, I know there's a couple songs on there I like. Think any of his other albums could grow on me?

3LB
08-12-2009, 06:03 AM
People buy Jack Johnson CDs for the same reason they bought James Taylor albums way back...meelllooowwwwing out maaaannnnn... and the sound quality was usually stellar. Everybody I knew back when who had a nice stereo rig had a couple of James Taylor albums.

Myself? I think all JJ albums sound the same. I mean I like the guy, but like James Taylor, how much do you really need? The first one Brushfire Fairytales is a good CD to get, maybe In Between Dreams.

If I had a critique of Johnson, it'd be that he only knows one gear. He doesn't go much deeper than the surface on any song, unlike say Five For Fighting's John Ondrasik, who wrenches way more emotion out of a song (too much for some). JJ was on the The Band tribute album Endless Highway: The Music Of The Band performing the tune I Shall Be Released in his usual mellow sing-a-long style and it was almost an insult. Its like he lacks the depth to do a really emotional song. I woulda picked John Ondrasik for that tune.

iffin you liked da Jack Johnson, try Five For Fighting or Ray LaMontagne.

ForeverAutumn
08-12-2009, 06:21 AM
My first Jack Johnson disk was On and On. I really liked it and still do. Then I got Brushfire Fairytales and In Between Dreams and both were just more of the same for me. I got bored of his sound very quickly.

I second the Ray LaMontagne recommendation. The same kind of mellow but much better written and a lot more diversity.

Josh Ritter is another similar artist worth checking out. Very acoustic mellow, but not quite as dark as LaMontagne.

Swish
08-12-2009, 03:18 PM
He has some talent, but I find very little interesting about his music or presentation. I never had the urge to buy anything from him and doubt I ever will unless he does a 180.

Mr Peabody
08-12-2009, 06:01 PM
You all affirmed my suspicions. I will check out the recs, Montagne sounds interesting, I tend to like dark.

ForeverAutumn
08-13-2009, 05:19 AM
If you're going to get a Ray LaMontagne disk, IMO start with Trouble or Till The Sun Turns Black.

Although his newest album, Gossip In The Grain, has what I consider his best song (Winter Birds), the rest of the album isn't as consistent as his first two. It's his weakest, IMHO.

Troy
08-13-2009, 08:53 AM
Jack Johnson's music is as interesting as his name.

Stone
08-13-2009, 09:06 AM
He's a good surfer.

very special guest
08-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Well, I think that Jack Johnson is wonderful. I love that when you a buy a person's music it doesn't surprise you - you always know what to expect. I don't mind experimenting (snicker :)) but only when it is some body I never heard of. I don't want artists I am comfortable with changing on me.

Mr Peabody
08-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Thanks, FA

Mr Peabody
09-20-2009, 05:42 PM
I finally got the Jack Johnson from my daughter for a moment and played it on my main system, like him or not this is an incredible sounding recording. Unbelieveable low end. This was the Songs From the Movie Curious George. It's not quite my cup of tea for listening but it's definitely a reference disc.

poppachubby
09-21-2009, 02:44 AM
Jack Johnson is great to put on when you're in the car, in a closed garage, with the car running, and a hose coming from the tailpipe into the window, and a.......

ForeverAutumn
09-21-2009, 05:16 AM
Jack Johnson is great to put on when you're in the car, in a closed garage, with the car running, and a hose coming from the tailpipe into the window, and a.......

lmao!

3LB
09-21-2009, 08:51 AM
and a.....nice cold 40...betcha can't finish it!

melloje
09-26-2009, 10:07 PM
I can co-sign for In Between Dreams. It's one of my favorites too, mainly because of the song "Banana Pancakes." (http://www.song-list.net/jackjohnson/bananapancakes/tracks) But "Breakdown" is good too. Jack Johnson has such an amazing voice. So soothing. I'd probably love an album of him just talking. Some people just have perfect vocal cords that make you feel.... better.... :smilewinkgrin:

bobsticks
09-27-2009, 08:09 PM
My first Jack Johnson disk was On and On. I really liked it and still do...

Me too. I think "On and On" was excellent in that Tayloresque way that's been described...then again, I like surfer girls and strippergirls...and if they're surfer/strippergirls then that's an added bonus.

It's pretty easy to argue that "innovation" is not his strong suit.