Sixty Four Bucks!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sixty Four Bucks!!!

pixelthis
08-10-2009, 09:52 PM
So the bloodsucking has begun.
I am a movie watcher, not a "game player" and dont care to listen to hours of "commentary" by some airhead starlet , or peruse the dozens of hours of
"documentaries" on the making of a certain movie.
So why cant the industry turn out a "bare bones" version of BLU discs
so that the movie watchers and economically embarassed can save a few bucks?
I spent 34 bucks on the MATRIX, wasnt proud of myself but I did, even leafed
through the fourty page booklet.
It was an amazing experience, even worth the money, but I paid for a lot that I wont use.
But when buying it I saw something even more astounding, yes, the favorite movie of
most movie fans, CASABLANCA, the new blu edition.
The price? SIXTY FOUR BUCKS, the clerk said with a straight face, while I gagged.
And then tried to stiff me on the 30% Diana Krall Rio concert discount.
It looked beautiful, had a cool blue and white case, I can only imagine what they stuffed
in there, looked nice, but sixty four bucks???
For a 64 year old B&W movie?
Sure its a classic, loved by all, but while BLU is great, I havent noticed that much
improvement in B&W movies, they look great, sure, but are closer to DVD than
newer titles.
Maybe they havent spent the time on those that they spent on, say, the new edition
of Casablanca, the Ray Harryhauser movies have been disapointing, and why do I have
to pay seventy bucks for a boxed set just to get" Invasion of the Flying saucers?"
ANYWAY I still love blu, but am not happy with the vampires in the industry milking
it for all its worth

Smokey
08-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Wher did you buy and see those expensive Blu-ray movies. At Barnes&Nobles?

You have to catch Blu-ray movies when they are on sale, or just like DVD discs you will pay too much. The name of game is being patient.

Auricauricle
08-12-2009, 06:23 AM
Yeah; what smokey said.

A garlic necklace might also be handy.

frahengeo
08-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Yeah; what smokey said.

A garlic necklace might also be handy.

What needs to be offered is a simple stripped down version of the movie. No extra disc with the "making of..." or Director/Actor commentary. Some titles include both the blu-ray and DVD. I guess that if you only have a DVD player in your bedroom and felt like watching in bed...

nightflier
08-12-2009, 09:44 AM
There should still be something extra in the DVD/BR release that wasn't in the theatrical release, IMO. I don't care for the featurettes, commentary, or previews for other movies either, but the one thing I do watch is the deleted scenes. The thing that irks me about them, though, is that they are almost always unedited. What kind of lazy dumb-a**, s.o.b. snot-job gotcha is that? I have to turn the sound way up, adjust the screen, and still sit through fuzzy scenes to watch those. For crissakes, just get off your lazy a**es and edit them already, and do away with the rest of the extras. Better yet, put them in the darned disk, and let us select at the start of the movie if we want to see it with out without the scenes - I'll bet 99% of folks will choose the longer version. That's something I'll pay for if I've already seen it in the theater. Jeezzzzz!

Auricauricle
08-12-2009, 11:14 AM
How about combining movies...? Like this blend o' 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Fifth Element?

*Keep outta the reach o' small children and little minds....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vxJQs6fhP84&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vxJQs6fhP84&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

pixelthis
08-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Wher did you buy and see those expensive Blu-ray movies. At Barnes&Nobles?

You have to catch Blu-ray movies when they are on sale, or just like DVD discs you will pay too much. The name of game is being patient.

You caught me.
They were impulse purchases from the Barn, I had a little cash, and that Diana
Krall was getting purchased anyway....
I will shop the CASABLANCA, but how much cheaper will it get?
Oh well, the Matrix was smokin, anyway.:1:

02audionoob
08-13-2009, 04:45 AM
Maybe the high prices are just being floated out there to test the market. Remember the early days of the consumer VCR, when some movies were around $30 and some as much as $80?

Hyfi
08-13-2009, 08:25 AM
Maybe the high prices are just being floated out there to test the market. Remember the early days of the consumer VCR, when some movies were around $30 and some as much as $80?

I think you hit on it. There are suckers born every day and many already born.

If people just stopped buying the stuff at ridiculous prices, what would they have to do? Yep, lower the price.

People who pay ridiculous prices for this stuff are the ones fueling the problem.

I just bought 3 DVDs for $27 and free shipping. 2 of them are old and include a trailer and the movie. (Wise Guys and Johnny Dangerously) The 3rd, In Bruges, has all the extras which were great to watch. The best extra is a clip called F**king Bruges and is all the cursing strung together in a few minutes. I was in tears laughing so hard because there is an enormous amount of F words in the movie.

pixelthis
08-15-2009, 05:37 PM
I think you hit on it. There are suckers born every day and many already born.

If people just stopped buying the stuff at ridiculous prices, what would they have to do? Yep, lower the price.

People who pay ridiculous prices for this stuff are the ones fueling the problem.

I just bought 3 DVDs for $27 and free shipping. 2 of them are old and include a trailer and the movie. (Wise Guys and Johnny Dangerously) The 3rd, In Bruges, has all the extras which were great to watch. The best extra is a clip called F**king Bruges and is all the cursing strung together in a few minutes. I was in tears laughing so hard because there is an enormous amount of F words in the movie.

Proud for ya, I got three (used) for ten bucks from a place called movie stop.
I also got a used version of Superman returns,a blu disc, which is now my demo disc, for 17 bucks.
No offense, but 27 bucks for three DVD's is no bargain, really, especially older titles.:1:

Auricauricle
08-15-2009, 05:57 PM
This all reminds me of urgings of friends and all who would warn me not to jump while the technology was still in its infancy and hop to it once it had settled in. Whether it's Miatas or CD players, if you wait it out a bit the risks are lower and you save apile o' cash...!

Okay I'm ramblin'....But with Little Fete in the background, being loaded with Jose Cuervo, and girls on the porch a man can be fergiven, can't he....?

Maybe not.....GIRLS!! Slide aside, I'm comin' in for a landin'!