Please help... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Please help...

jdee1948
08-10-2009, 06:57 AM
Can someone please help me out? :)

Hi guys,

I'm new here. Just wondering if anyone can help me with a problem I'm facing with my TEAC VRDS 25 CDP. I had sent my CDP to an authorized service centre in Singapore to fix the tray which was jammed and subsequently, while testing the set, they encountered a new problem with the Micro-P and as a result, there was no power. The service centre is unable to get the part and cannot even contact the parent company regarding this matter. The set is in mint condition and I feel sad to just let it go. Does anyone know where I can get a hold of TEAC spare parts or can anyone fix the problem for me?

Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Thanks

blackraven
08-10-2009, 11:09 AM
You are better off buying a new CDP.

Mr Peabody
08-10-2009, 07:40 PM
I agree, buy another one, to be straight with you the TEAC is an entry level player. The company should have had parts for it which is another strike against them, unless you bought the thing in the 80's or something.

rob_a
08-11-2009, 04:11 PM
TEAC has never been at the highend of audio as far as I know, but I did check out this player a little bit. I have to say it looked nice. BUT, a new CD player might be the way to go. There are many affordible choices out there that will sound as good if not better and last you another 10 years.

A few brands off hand: NAD, Marantz, Denon, Rotel, Emotiva, Jolida.

luvtolisten
08-11-2009, 05:13 PM
I agree also, buy a new one,time to cut your losses. Even if you were to buy another entry level player, chances are it would give you better performance as opposed to 10 years ago.

frahengeo
08-11-2009, 05:21 PM
TEAC has never been at the highend of audio as far as I know, but I did check out this player a little bit. I have to say it looked nice. BUT, a new CD player might be the way to go. There are many affordible choices out there that will sound as good if not better and last you another 10 years.

A few brands off hand: NAD, Marantz, Denon, Rotel, Emotiva, Jolida.

Well, to be fair Teac has its Esoteric brand that's ultra high-end. Too expensive for me anyways.

Auricauricle
08-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Don't know where you're writing from or the model no. Can you be a little more specific?

Mr Peabody
08-11-2009, 06:23 PM
I knew at one point Esoteric & TEAC were under the same umbrella but I wonder if they still are. Nothing like being at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Mr Peabody
08-11-2009, 06:29 PM
I bought a TEAC cassette deck in early 80's that got a lot of use, a few years back I sold it and all my cassette tape to a friend. Can you believe that thing is still going? I'm in shock the heads lasted. The TEAC stuff that was built back then in Japan was good stuff. The TEAC stuff tolday that I've seen is very entry level. So I wonder if the name was sold at some point.

JoeE SP9
08-12-2009, 08:21 AM
Unless your CD player is a "high end" player what others have recommended is the way to go. I would suggest an Oppo universal player. If you are unsatisfied with the sound on normal CD's get a decent external DAC. By doing this you will be able to play everything on CD and DVD (Blu-Ray excepted) with the added benefit of a decent DAC for red book playback.

frahengeo
08-12-2009, 08:41 AM
Don't know where you're writing from or the model no. Can you be a little more specific?

He listed the model as TEAC VRDS 25 CDP. Our very own Audioreview.com states that its original MSRP was $2700.00. Its no cheapy and it resembles an Esoteric unit. Appears to be worth repairing, if that option exists.

Jdee,

Other than contacting Teac yourself, I don't know what else to recommend. It is a nice looking unit. Good luck.

basite
08-12-2009, 09:34 AM
I agree, buy another one, to be straight with you the TEAC is an entry level player.

No, it's not.

the VRDS 25 was (and still is) a very decent cd player, definately worth repairing. The VRDS drive mechanism/theory is now still used in their Esoteric line btw...

there's some more info, and detailed shots over here:
http://www.lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/REFERENCES/TEAC%20VRDS_25/TEAC_VRDS%252025_CD_player.html

I have no idea where to get replacement parts, but maybe call teac, or find out what part exactly is defunct, and try to look it up on the internet.

Good luck,
Bert.

rob_a
08-12-2009, 11:43 AM
He listed the model as TEAC VRDS 25 CDP. Our very own Audioreview.com states that its original MSRP was $2700.00. Its no cheapy and it resembles an Esoteric unit. Appears to be worth repairing, if that option exists.

Jdee,

Other than contacting Teac yourself, I don't know what else to recommend. It is a nice looking unit. Good luck.

To buy? or, not to buy???

If you love it, then it's worth fixing. Good luck finding a service man who will charge a fair price and wont have your unit sitting in his shop for a year (personal experiance :)), there out their. If your curious about the new players on the market, a $1000 will get you a fantastic player!!!