problem with Thorens td-240 turntable [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : problem with Thorens td-240 turntable

Angelus Novus
08-09-2009, 04:23 AM
hi everybody.

i have a Thorens td-240 turntable with TP21 tonearm and AT95E cartridge. Both are adjusted as indicated in the manual, tracking and the anti-skating at 1.5.
I was about 6 months without using it and now I've moved I've tried with my Denon pma-500 amplifier. When i´m playing an vinyl certain frequencies sound saturated, with a sound of "fried egg"

I changed the cartridge, I tried with another amp and speakers, and the problem continues. I do not know it is due. failure to adjust the arm? problem of turntable?

please can you help me?

thanks a lot

rhomanski
08-19-2009, 10:56 PM
it could be the interconnects from the turntable to the amplifier. try new wires. regards. ron.

02audionoob
08-20-2009, 04:55 AM
What is your level of experience with adjusting the tracking force? It's easy to misunderstand. I'd suggest acquiring a tracking force gauge.

In the meantime, could you confirm that when you set the tracking force you followed the procedure of rotating the weight to a point where the arm balances to exactly horizontal and then rotating the numbered dial to zero before turning the counterweight and dial to 1.5?