pioneer pl-570 direct drive [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : pioneer pl-570 direct drive

harley .guy07
08-07-2009, 10:30 PM
I was looking at the technics but was told that it was not the way to go. To far down inthe line and I want something I can work with and make good.
I found a pioneer pl-570 direct drive turntable used and it looks good. Wood base and it looks well built. give me some pointers. Like some other people out there Turntables are my week point so anyone that knows this unit and can give me some pointers on it or tell me if it is worth my while it would be helpful. thankd

Mr Peabody
08-08-2009, 07:03 AM
I've never heard that exact model but I had a direct drive PL-51 which was totally manual. I told you my story of how it quit and I had to get it fixed because a new Technics model at the time didn't sound nearly as well. If the price was right I think this 570 would be a good move. The repair happened in the mid 80's and the PL-51 was from the 70's, the repair was something simple and it worked until I sold it some time, I'm guessing, 1999 or so. I sold it to a friend at work cheap and as far as I know it is still working so I feel the Pioneer are well built.

I wish you were in my area I'd hook you up with some vinyl. I have a pile of duplicates and things I don't listen to in the floor, about 150 LP's. I've been procrastinating on what to do with them. I sold a few to a guy who answered a CL listing. I used to ship a stack off to a store who consigned them for me but shipping is a bear these days.

harley .guy07
08-08-2009, 10:51 AM
I've never heard that exact model but I had a direct drive PL-51 which was totally manual. I told you my story of how it quit and I had to get it fixed because a new Technics model at the time didn't sound nearly as well. If the price was right I think this 570 would be a good move. The repair happened in the mid 80's and the PL-51 was from the 70's, the repair was something simple and it worked until I sold it some time, I'm guessing, 1999 or so. I sold it to a friend at work cheap and as far as I know it is still working so I feel the Pioneer are well built.

I wish you were in my area I'd hook you up with some vinyl. I have a pile of duplicates and things I don't listen to in the floor, about 150 LP's. I've been procrastinating on what to do with them. I sold a few to a guy who answered a CL listing. I used to ship a stack off to a store who consigned them for me but shipping is a bear these days.

I am noticing as I look around the used market that some of the vintage stuff is very cose in price to some of the pro-jest tables I have seen at the vinyl stores on the net. The pro-ject debut 3 is around $350 ot $400 and it is ready to role from the factory with brand new parts for just a tab above the vintage stuff as far a price is concerned. I lost my id for the pioneer 570 but I do have time to increase the bid but am not sure what is too much to spend for it. I would like to know between the rega,music-hall, and pro-ject tables which ones have the best affordable higher end models. They all look well built but I am starting to think that instead of the hassle of the ebay bidding wars I might be better to just spend a little more and get one of these brands beginner audiopile players. I would like one that I could put upgrades on in the future so I could possibly turn a beginner unit into something that would keep up with the better much higher costing tables.

the pro-ject debut 3 looks pretty cool and while I know it is very simple and does not offer the automatic options of other higher priced players i am more interested in overall sound quality than bells and whistles.

harley .guy07
08-08-2009, 11:48 AM
I know the technics sl-2000 is not the table of the same quality as most of the brands spoke of but if I could get it at a very cheap price then it might be a cheap way to get into vinyl and if I put a good quality preamp like a cambridge with it it might be worth it. And I could always upgrade later when I feel its time. Any feedback is welcome.

Mr Peabody
08-08-2009, 01:57 PM
I liked your former idea better. I just don't have any experience with those 3 entry tables, PJ, MH & Rega all offer entry tables at that $300.00 mark.

www.spearitsound.com has this http://nadelectronics.com/products/turntables/C555-Turntable

List: $599.00, they have a demo $399.00

I don't like NAD phono stages though.

02audionoob
08-08-2009, 05:29 PM
It would seem like the SL-2000 should come very cheap, so maybe it's a worthwhile deal if you're thinking very thrifty. I wouldn't want one, and I actually do own a Technics turntable. I think the better turntables from that era are cheap enough to not have to bother with the cheap ones from that era. Like Mr. Peabody, I prefer the former idea of the Rega, Pro-Ject or Music Hall. However, I still contend Technics is decent or even good if you just climb high enough on the totem pole to get a good one.

harley .guy07
08-08-2009, 06:21 PM
It would seem like the SL-2000 should come very cheap, so maybe it's a worthwhile deal if you're thinking very thrifty. I wouldn't want one, and I actually do own a Technics turntable. I think the better turntables from that era are cheap enough to not have to bother with the cheap ones from that era. Like Mr. Peabody, I prefer the former idea of the Rega, Pro-Ject or Music Hall. However, I still contend Technics is decent or even good if you just climb high enough on the totem pole to get a good one.

yeah I might just hold off of the 2000 and wait for a really good deal on a vintage model or make a move and just go ahead and pay the little extra for a pro-ject debut 3. It goes for about 370 and I know its not a higher end table but it has its worth and can be modified later to be better. Plus I think with the debut 3 I will have a descent resale value if I ever want to upgrade to a higher end pro ject or rega. Anyway I still like some of the vintage tables so if you see a good deal let me know. Right now my bid on the 2000 is only about 25 bucks so I will see what happens and if I get outbid over that I will probably just let it be.

harley .guy07
08-08-2009, 06:31 PM

I am looking around since the whole vinyl thing has been a recent thought and I don't know which tables to look for. I know I want to stay between 100 and 450 dollar range since I am new to it. I want something good and could be modified to be better later. And I want something that is worthy of running through a quality preamp. Since I don't have a phono stage on my Yamaha. But from what I've read most people use standalone preamps anyway for better quality. Give me some models to look for in the vintage world since I am not sure what to look for. I can usually tell if they are plastic based crap from a department store but other than that I don't know. And after taking another glance the 2000 looks like a table that sears could of sold. Sorry for my ignorance I am new to vinyl.

02audionoob
08-08-2009, 08:52 PM
You can certainly tell at least a little bit by the looks. For example, look at the Marantz 6300 or 6370Q, Denon DP-47F or DP-60L, Pioneer PL-530 or PL-550, Dual CS5000 or 731Q. They all look great. Of course, there are many vintage models out there that would serve well. If you like Technics, there's the SL-10 (linear), 1200, 1300, 1400, 1015, 1025 and many more.

vipersmasher
03-07-2010, 06:44 AM
hello
there are two models with the pl-570, if you can get a hold of a working older model that would be the wood grain table not the black one. I recently picked up the wood grain table, it is a direct drive, quartz lock table. It did need some adjustment to the tonearm rest and lifting lever after a good cartridge was installed. I must say that this is a great sounding vintage table from 1977-78. for some one getting into vinyl this is a great start as it has all the features to make listing easy and enjoyable. fully automatic start, stop, and repeat options, the automatic features are very smooth with a properly ballanced arm.
regards

vmsysprog
06-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Just recently came across this forum, hopefully someone here can help. I have a PL-570, later version, mid to late '80s, non-wood base (ok, plastic). This unit has played well for many years. I use it infrequently and don't abuse it. Recently, it has started playing on the left or right channel with a hum coming out of the other channel. I saw the comment about about being sure the phone is correctly grounded. Things I've tried: I have unplugged just the phono from the receiver (Pioneer, model?), plugged it back in and it works. I have also unplugged everything from the receiver, plugged just the phono back in and it works. However, every time I turn the receiver off and back on, as in it sets powered off over night, the phono reverts back to the left or right channel only problem. I don't think there is a problem with the receiver as everything else works just fine. It's been a great phono and has served my purposes. I have a fair amount of vinyl but don't play them that much. I'm looking into getting a tube amp/receiver/some combination there of but that's another story. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Can these phonos be damaged by plugging them into mic input on a pc? I was using it to transfer the vinyl to the pc. When I did this, I didn't ground the phono.
Thanks,
Steve

02audionoob
06-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Seems like bad connections, somewhere. Could be at the cartridge...maybe at the interconnects...maybe at the headshell?