Two DVD Players Down [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Two DVD Players Down

Smokey
08-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Man, I can’t believe how finicky these DVD players are.

Have two 3 years old DVD players hooked up to TV (Koss, Toshiba), and in last couple of months they staring behaving erratically by sometimes not reading the discs or skipping.

So I said to myself that they probably need a cleaning. So took off the cover and cleaned (Q-Tip and Alcohol) the mechanical parts which had dust, and the laser head. And I was gentle.

Now both DVD players will not read any discs al all. One DVD player will not spin at all with a flashing NO DISC, and the other one -although it spins-with flashing BAD DISC sign. WTF??? :mad2:

Guess can’t complain since I did get my moneys worth out of them. But still........

atomicAdam
08-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Did I miss something or isn't that the theme of modern equipment? Low price and short life span? I mean, it appears that is where we are headed as a society and I thought electronics was leading the way. I'd expect speakers and a good amp to last 10-30 years, but I'm surprised when I see an iPod or cell phone still working after a year. Or a new MacBook from what I've heard.

Sorry for the troubles but I just thought that was part of "the plan". If things latest forever how is the stock market supposed to go up?

Smokey
08-07-2009, 11:37 PM
Sorry for the troubles but I just thought that was part of "the plan". If things latest forever how is the stock market supposed to go up?
How about another stimulus plan :D

I see your point also, but the way most common consumer electronics are made today are not only disposable, but un repairable also. I bet these players would be nightmare to a repair shop since one wrong touch or move, and player would go dead cold.

I use to do periodical nut @ bolt cleaning on CD players, VCR or Tape deck without a problem. But DVD players seem to be horse of different color.

markw
08-08-2009, 04:19 AM
I picked up a toshiba upscaling DVD/VCR combo and it worked pretty reliabily for about two years. From day one, some discs it wouldn't read at all, some would have to be ejected and reinserted, and some worked fine. Then it wouldn't read any. Now, we're not talking heavy use here.

I got a Denon 1940 for $90 from 6th Ave a few months ago and it's a world of difference in both picture antactile quality. ...and it plays whatever I put into it, except blu-ray.

Hyfi
08-08-2009, 06:23 AM
I have a Marantz SE67 that after sitting idle for a year does nothing when the disk is inserted. I did get good use out of it for many years. Not sure if the transport motor died or if something else tells it to spin. Any Ideas or if it's worth getting repaired? It was a super CDP in it's day.

I replaced it with a Rotel that has trouble playing disk 1 of Metalica S&M but that disk will play fine in any other cdp I have from $15 to $300. I made a copy of the disk and the Rotel plays it fine. So far, just that one disk.

pixelthis
08-08-2009, 11:22 PM
A lot of stuff today is like whiskey, made to sell, not use.
No offense Smokie, but I guess that both of those DVD players together cost les
than a C-NOTE, am I right?.
Things are made to be cheap and disposible, because thats what makes sense,
besides, with advancing tech somethings obsolete in a few years anyhow.
I have a high fidelity DVD player thats about eight years old, but it cost 700 bucks on sale. A 35 dollar DVD player? Good luck.
The tolerances on a modern DVD player are so tight, the pits on a DVD so small
that you just touch the wrong thing and its outta whack.
I know you were carefull but get a nanometer off...
I have had this "talk" with people thousands of times.
If you fix something chances are it will break again in a few months to a year,
I have seen this happen.
And repair is costly, labors expensive these days, and high tech gear taxes
a "traditional" TV service shop.
A lot cheaper to turn em out like sausages and toss em when they croak,
kep a few in the closet , new and boxed up, ready to go.:1:

blackraven
08-09-2009, 12:28 PM
I've had a Denon 1910 for several years and its still going strong. I also have an older Panasonic DVDP that is still kicking.

Smokey
08-09-2009, 12:56 PM
I went by couple of stores today (Radioshack, Sears) and they didin't have anything interesting in DVD player department. The low price DVD players looks more like a shoe box than a DVD player with no front display. Think I pass on them.

I had problem with Toshiba's DVD players before, so will pass on them too. That will leave Samsung and Sony to consider.

02audionoob
08-09-2009, 03:37 PM
I went by couple of stores today (Radioshack, Sears) and they didin't have anything interesting in DVD player department. The low price DVD players looks more like a shoe box than a DVD player with no front display. Think I pass on them.

I had problem with Toshiba's DVD players before, so will pass on them too. That will leave Samsung and Sony to consider.

I've seen some nice-looking DVD players by Denon and Harman/Kardon. I have H/K's DVD 101 and have always enjoyed it. It's in retirement under the bed, though...got bumped by an LG Blu-ray.

frahengeo
08-10-2009, 08:35 AM
[QUOTE=atomicAdam]Did I miss something or isn't that the theme of modern equipment? Low price and short life span? I mean, it appears that is where we are headed as a society and I thought electronics was leading the way.

Seems like a vicious cycle to me.

Quick scenario:

Consumer: "I demand high quality, lower prices, and I want it made domestically"
Marketing: "Research suggests that consumers are unwilling to pay $xx for our goods. Price target needs to be set at $yy and it needs to be available in zz days or we'll miss the boat"
Management: "We need the design to meet the price target, and we must improve our design-to-manufacturing timeline. But we need to improve revenues to satisfy the shareholders, so we will cut our costs by reducing our labor force and technical personnel, cut the wages and benefits of those still employed, and utilize cheaper materials. This activity will result in a bigger bonus for me".
Engineer: "We need improved: Processes, Materials, and less projects on our plate. Otherwise its Crap in, Crap Out. By the way, I want a raise!"
Factory Worker: "A happy worker is a productive one."(i.e. better pay/benefits/work hours&condition)

A few months later...
Consumer: "This new model is a piece of @#&*!!!"

Hyfi
08-10-2009, 10:32 AM
I've seen some nice-looking DVD players by Denon and Harman/Kardon. I have H/K's DVD 101 and have always enjoyed it. It's in retirement under the bed, though...got bumped by an LG Blu-ray.

I have a Denon DVDP that is about 5 years old and was bought at the same time as a cheap sony DVDP. The Denon is now having all kinds of trouble with playing dvds that play just fine on the cheap sony.

Don't let "nice-looking' have anything to do with your decision.

02audionoob
08-10-2009, 10:46 AM
I have a Denon DVDP that is about 5 years old and was bought at the same time as a cheap sony DVDP. The Denon is now having all kinds of trouble with playing dvds that play just fine on the cheap sony.

Don't let "nice-looking' have anything to do with your decision.

One example doesn't swing the case one way or the other. I have a little DVD player that cost $30 at Target and it also has run for years without a problem.

frahengeo
08-10-2009, 10:56 AM
One example doesn't swing the case one way or the other. I have a little DVD player that cost $30 at Target and it also has run for years without a problem.

A few years ago, Denon moved all their DVD player manufacturing operations outside of Japan. I imagine that in the new location, employees are having to learn a new skill set that they are not accustomed to and as with anything new, there is a learning curve.

blackraven
08-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Smokey, why don't you buy the Oppo 980. Its a real bargain and a very good player.

pixelthis
08-10-2009, 09:35 PM

What do you need a front display for?
They leave these out to save money.
Don't expect much more in the DVD dept, its all going to go BLU ray.
WHY buy a DVD player when a Blu is going out the door for 96 bucks(the lowest price seen so far)?
DVD players will be around for a few years more, the older set with the 19"
Emerson TV sets need something to watch their westerns on, but for serious HT its
all over for DVD but the ridicluding of those that still use them(you're still watching DVDS'? how quaint.)
Meanwhile I watched my new copy of the Matrix on Blu over the weekend,
certainly worth the money.:1:

Smokey
08-11-2009, 06:49 PM
WHY buy a DVD player when a Blu is going out the door for 96 bucks(the lowest price seen so far)?

Sears had a sharp Blu-ray player for $150 which was a display model and it did look good. But since don't have a HDTV or Blu-ray disc, don't want to pay for something I will not use.

They also had GPX DVD player on sale for $25, and saleman said I can get 2 year extented warranty on it for $3 more. So pay $28 for DVD player that is guarantied for 2 years or money back.

JoeE SP9
08-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Sears had a sharp Blu-ray player for $150 which was a display model and it did look good. But since don't have a HDTV or Blu-ray disc, don't want to pay for something I will not use.

They also had GPX DVD player on sale for $25, and saleman said I can get 2 year extented warranty on it for $3 more. So pay $28 for DVD player that is guarantied for 2 years or money back.

That would have been one of the few occasions when I would have bought the extended warranty.

blackraven
08-12-2009, 06:57 PM
I wouldn't buy anything GPX made. Very poor quality! Get the BR player and you will be set for the time you decide to get an HDTV.

Smokey
08-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Blu-ray palyers and discs are still out of my league, so I probably stick with DVD for now since have alot of movies and TV shows on DVD.

I have read alot of horror reviews on GPX players and it seem not worth trouble even with extended warranty. But Sony’s $45 DVD player seem to be getting alot of good reviews in term of picture, sound and built quality.

pixelthis
08-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Blu-ray palyers and discs are still out of my league, so I probably stick with DVD for now since have alot of movies and TV shows on DVD.

I have read alot of horror reviews on GPX players and it seem not worth trouble even with extended warranty. But Sony’s $45 DVD player seem to be getting alot of good reviews in term of picture, sound and built quality.

I worked in a drugstore once, sold GPX stuff.
Whenever some of it went out the door we placed bets on when it would be coming back,
although the radios worked okay, no moving parts.
Anyway a HDTV is in your future Smoke, no way around it.
At Walmart I saw a SANSUI LCD for 178 bucks(around 20 ") while a tube 27"
was 188.
Your dino is going to break sooner or later, what are you going to replace it with?
True there are some thrift store bargains ( a PIONEER "snakearm " TT for 14 bucks)
but sooner or later you will have to upgrade.
EVENTUALLY THATS all that will be left at the thrift store, used LCD.
Heres an idea, one thing I did.
A 16" ACER computer monitor with DVI (or comparable) and a DVD/HDMI
converter dongle hooking it to a cable box.
A Acer monitor is 98 bucks, cant beat that, although you might have to sit close.
I did that with a 20" Samsung monitor, looked quite good even several feet away.
My first set was 19" and that was considered a good size.:1:

rob_a
08-13-2009, 01:59 PM
I think it's all luck! I bought a cheapo Samsung DVD player about 6 years ago and it's still gets regular use to this day. About a year ago I gave it to my girlfriends sister who has 3 kids and they are not so nice to electronics ;) it still works great, good picture and sound. Sometimes it's the player it's self rather them the brand.

pixelthis
08-15-2009, 05:32 PM
I think it's all luck! I bought a cheapo Samsung DVD player about 6 years ago and it's still gets regular use to this day. About a year ago I gave it to my girlfriends sister who has 3 kids and they are not so nice to electronics ;) it still works great, good picture and sound. Sometimes it's the player it's self rather them the brand.

Considering that Samsung makes most of the optical drives on the planet
its no surprize.
I have a four year old player thats still going great.:1: