Travel headphones [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Travel headphones

Payaso
08-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Any suggestions on travel headphones?
I'm looking for something at around $200 to get started, and since they will be packed in with my laptop, gps, iPod and documents.

The ideal parameters would be:
- High quality sound
- Comfortable since I'll be on planes for a few hours
- Sound reduction (whether they are noise cancelling or simply well sealed)

Of course I can get the default Bose noise cancelling headphones to fit in with the rest of the business travellers, but I think there are better alternatives.

dannydesiliva
09-05-2009, 02:51 AM
I'm looking for something at around $200 to get started, and since they will be packed in with my laptop, gps, iPod and documents.

- High quality sound

Of course I can get the default Bose noise cancelling headphones to fit in with the rest of the business travellers, but I think there are better alternatives.

So I was just at Circuit City looking at their choices and they also had Sennheiser noise-cancelling earbuds. Has anyone tried these? Would they work as well as headphones?

Happy Camper
09-05-2009, 01:07 PM
An IEM would be best for plane travel.

poppachubby
09-06-2009, 07:02 AM
Hey Camper, what'd this guy ever do to you?!? IEM's can feel like they are fused to you ear canals after a long flight, short flight, maybe. Payaso, even with the specs you've laid out your question can be infinitely answered. Check these out...

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/jvc-ha-nc250-noise/4505-7877_7-32515732.html

These are JVC HA-NC250. To me, the best price/performance in that range. Comes with the plane adator, etc. I haven't posted a review here at AR, so there exists none. If you throw in 100 more dollars, you will leave the Buick Regal and get into the basic features Cadillac. This is a fine set...hope this helps you...

Happy Camper
09-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Personally, I use two different sets. The IEMs give you isolation but you're right about long hauls. That's why I also like a small, closed set for the terminal or like 17 hr flights to Toyko or Seoul. 2-3 hr flights here at home I usually always go with the IEMs. Foamies for comfort (large jets), tri-flange for isolation (puddle jumpers).

poppachubby
09-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Ya I was just breakin balls Camper...I have a feeling the original poster is never going to come back here anyways. I am starting to realize that some people drop a post and that's tha last they're ever seen. I took a bit of time to reply to a portable device post, I still haven't seen the guy reply. A bit of a waste of time. Hey man, you're a headphone guy, check out my post in the General section for modding a pair of K66's, you ever done anything like that? I am gonna go to a craft shop for a suggestion on a good paint..I would love your 0.02...

Payaso
09-07-2009, 12:55 PM
poppa. thanks for the suggestion wrt the JVC headphones. In my experience, JVC is a solid brand, but not acoustically accurate.

You say that for around $300 I'd be able to get a better set of headphones. Sennheiser, Grado. Sony?

Just don't say Beats by Monster.

poppachubby
09-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Sony MDR NC500D...you should be able to rope a grey market set for AROUND 300. With shipping it may run a little more. If you're really worried about sound reproduction these bad boys will cancel noise and still sound good. Plus, they kill Bose so you can unstuff a few shirts at the same time. A good friend of mine is a professional archivist and travels the Americas by plane with a set of these, and has no complaints...hope that helps, there are quite a few different options as I said before. The problem is that there are more opinions than sets of headphones...tough to sort through, just grab a set and if you don't like it, onto the next one...

Payaso
09-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Sony MDR NC500D...you should be able to rope a grey market set for AROUND 300. With shipping it may run a little more. If you're really worried about sound reproduction these bad boys will cancel noise and still sound good. Plus, they kill Bose so you can unstuff a few shirts at the same time. A good friend of mine is a professional archivist and travels the Americas by plane with a set of these, and has no complaints...hope that helps, there are quite a few different options as I said before. The problem is that there are more opinions than sets of headphones...tough to sort through, just grab a set and if you don't like it, onto the next one...

Thanks for the suggestion :biggrin5: . I imagine everyone has an opinion on various aspects of each set of headphones.

I was just trying to get a solid recommendation since there are so few demos available. The alternative is to purchase a set, use them for a few days and return them if I don't like them.

Happy Camper
09-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestion :biggrin5: . I imagine everyone has an opinion on various aspects of each set of headphones.

I was just trying to get a solid recommendation since there are so few demos available. The alternative is to purchase a set, use them for a few days and return them if I don't like them.

Pretty much how you need to do it. Guitar Centers carry a lot of different maker's hps.

Payaso
09-09-2009, 07:51 AM
I heard that http://www.baybloorradio.com/headphones.html has a wall of headphones to demo. I'll check them out next time I go to Toronto, which is every 6 weeks.

poppachubby
09-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Its true, but they're WAY over priced. Good place to test out some stuff...

Jimmy B
09-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Here is a link for the Senns I got last year
http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/sealed-and-noise-canceling/sennheiser-pxc-450.php
I also picked up a total air head amp from them, well worth it.
Happy shopping, Jimmy B

winston
09-30-2009, 12:08 PM

- High quality sound

Payaso check this out the AURAL ACCESS KLIPSCH IMAGE S4i IN-EAR HEADSET
it's looking nice and it MAYBE the answer www.klipsch.com for a $100 bucks it looks interested for half of what you want to spend.

zinneken
10-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Interesting post, I have ER4 pro's for my long-hauls, but, after a few hours I have my earcanal starting to hurt with the flange thingies and the foams performance goes down after 2-3 insertions. Not very comfortable for extended periods of hearing, great sound though.

What non sound canceling but high performance sound isolating circum aureal earphones are out there? I heard about Sennheiser HD280 Pro being the best noise isolating (don't know from personal experience but from reading reviews). They are however reported to not being so great at isolating bass type noise (such as the plane mostly produces).

I prefer the highest performance in sound isolation. If it can come with good sound reproduction, great, (I will miss my ER4's) but sound isolating first.

Any suggestions?

Payaso
10-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Payaso check this out the AURAL ACCESS KLIPSCH IMAGE S4i IN-EAR HEADSET
it's looking nice and it MAYBE the answer www.klipsch.com for a $100 bucks it looks interested for half of what you want to spend.

Thanks Winston. I'll check those out since I've yet to purchase a set of headphones (been traveling too much)

Payaso
12-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Is anyone familiar with the Sennheiser CX-400 II Precision Earphones?
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/private_headphones_classic-line_cxseries_earphones_502743

They seemed to fit well and block out external noise.
I found them on-line for USD $69 shipped.

Marleyfan61
12-07-2009, 05:03 PM
I have the sennheiser cx500 which I believe are the 400's with an in line volume control. I quite like the sound from these. They have good punchy bass and very clear mids and highs. They are quite comfortable too but I have never worn them for longer than about 2 hrs. Still.....I highly recommend them.

Dilitor
11-17-2021, 02:48 PM
Hi, big cities to travel through barcelona, ​​in principle, they show the face of barcelona, ​​because all the culture and values ​​of this great country are concentrated there, however for Westerners it may seem harsh and without a smile, but it is n at first glance, the people there i am very hospitable and polite, check it out here fly to barcelona cheap (https://flyhalfprice.com/city/barcelona/) to find out more.