DIY audio [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DIY audio

03-22-2004, 08:48 PM
Hi everyone,
I have seen some valve amp companies also keep the circuit diagrams uploaded on their site. If this is the case, couldnt anyone just go out and buy some parts to make exactly what they do? That way anyone would be able to skip through the retail, distributor and manufactor and the government dutys (if its an import).

mtrycraft
03-22-2004, 10:32 PM
Hi everyone,
I have seen some valve amp companies also keep the circuit diagrams uploaded on their site. If this is the case, couldnt anyone just go out and buy some parts to make exactly what they do? That way anyone would be able to skip through the retail, distributor and manufactor and the government dutys (if its an import).

Yes, absolutely. Tube amp building is not difficult at all. But, you may or may not miss out on volume part pricing :)
Many years ago, companies were selling kits, plans chasis and part for you to put together.

03-22-2004, 11:55 PM
Hmm...is that right...
bet its illegal though...(rubs hands together)

mtrycraft
03-23-2004, 12:52 PM
Hmm...is that right...
bet its illegal though...(rubs hands together)

Illegal to build your own amp from their schematic? Hardly. It is, however, to sell them using their schematic, unless it is public domain design.

Don't forget to report the manufacturing job it created :)

Mash
03-27-2004, 11:19 PM
Glass Audio may be Kaput but these guys have the 1997 series as well as some projects and parts. http://www.audioxpress.com/

Kursun
03-28-2004, 12:21 PM
Hi everyone,
I have seen some valve amp companies also keep the circuit diagrams uploaded on their site. If this is the case, couldnt anyone just go out and buy some parts to make exactly what they do? That way anyone would be able to skip through the retail, distributor and manufactor and the government dutys (if its an import).If I remember correctly, the quality of the output transformer in a valve design is very important to the end result. Also, the quality of the valves and capacitors, even construction techniques... In other words, even though you may have the recipe, cooking a delicious meal is something else!

03-28-2004, 02:01 PM
true, but I can always go to some websites to get parts. I really doubt that a 1000 tube amp uses the best parts in the market. I would use some midclass blackgates and jensens, alps pot, tantalium resitors, the works. I dont even think companies use these midclass parts, since they offer these components as part of upgrades. The problem is that I wouldnt be able to build my own solid base out of metal. Dont know anything about metal working. So then I would have to construct it outta wood, which is considerably lighter and may vibrate more.