idiot question from New Boy [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : idiot question from New Boy

BrendanChandler
08-07-2009, 06:53 AM
How do I convert my MP3 files which play on my laptop to the correct format for CD player in my car.
What is the correct format

Thanks
Brendan:19:

mlsstl
08-07-2009, 07:24 AM
What software are you using for your laptop's CD burner?

Most current CD burner software gives you the option to make an "audio" format CDR from MP3 files. The conversion process should be automatic.

frahengeo
08-07-2009, 07:52 AM
What software are you using for your laptop's CD burner?

Most current CD burner software gives you the option to make an "audio" format CDR from MP3 files. The conversion process should be automatic.

If its not so "automatic", then its a .wav file that you need for your car cd player.

mlsstl
08-07-2009, 08:28 AM
...then its a .wav file that you need for your car cd player.
A point of caution. Simply copying a wav file to a CD does not make for a playable audio CD.

Audio CDs have a different format from data CDs regardless of file type.

dakatabg
08-07-2009, 10:09 AM
If you use Windows use Nero Express and make them audio format!
If you use Apple Mac use Toast Titanium and make them audio format!
Very simple!

pixelthis
08-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Not as simple as that!
A lot of cars have players these days that play MP3 files, and you can get hours
of music on one disc with MP3.
CHECK YOUR PLAYER in your car, see if it will play MP3.
I f not just go to Windows media player and hit the "burn" button and follow the instructions for burning an audio disc(IISO I beleive):1:

Mr Peabody
08-09-2009, 01:41 PM
That's what I was wondering, if the car player was mp3 compatible.

This does bring a question to my mind, if a person ripped or downloaded the music as an mp3 can it be upconverted to a full lossless song onto a CD? Is a mp3 just compressed and everything is there or is it just a remnent of what was?

Because if the music was downloaded or ripped as mp3 and the car isn't compatible then his problem isn't so simple if once a mp3 always a mp3.

02audionoob
08-09-2009, 03:24 PM
This does bring a question to my mind, if a person ripped or downloaded the music as an mp3 can it be upconverted to a full lossless song onto a CD? Is a mp3 just compressed and everything is there or is it just a remnent of what was?

With MP3, the music is lost forever in the ripping process. Taking it back up to CD format still sounds no better.

Mr Peabody
08-09-2009, 04:08 PM
With MP3, the music is lost forever in the ripping process. Taking it back up to CD format still sounds no better.

* But it is possible to make a regular CD from mp3? So if he had to do this you lose space on the disc and still sounds like crap, not the best direction I'd say. You'd be better off using one of those FM modulators and just keep the music on the mp3 player. Then at least you have all the storage. Draw back to that plan is I've yet to hear one of those things that didn't introduce noise at some point and the sound isn't nearly as good as what comes through the headphones. There could be good ones though.

JoeE SP9
08-09-2009, 04:44 PM
That's what I was wondering, if the car player was mp3 compatible.

Because if the music was downloaded or ripped as mp3 and the car isn't compatible then his problem isn't so simple if once a mp3 always a mp3.
MP3 coding is a lossy perceptual compression scheme. Once something is turned into an MP3 file whatever is discarded during the process is gone forever. MP3 files can be converted to CD Audio files but what was thrown away is not recoverable.