RIP John Hughes [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RIP John Hughes

ForeverAutumn
08-07-2009, 06:31 AM
Is it just me or does this seem to be the least publicized celebrity death ever?

I loved so many of John's movies. The Breakfast Club would still be one of my favourites if I hadn't watched it so many times that I made myself sick of it. lol. The same goes for 16 Candles.

Planes, Trains and Automobile is still one of my favourites.

Although, why he thought the world needed four Beethoven movies is beyond me.

John's talent will be missed but will live on in all the great movies that he wrote and produced over the years. So many classics from one man...what an amazing career.

nightflier
08-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Not to be insensitive or anything, but maybe because he made 5 Beethoven movies and none of them had anything meaningful to do with the greatest composer mankind has ever known.

3LB
08-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Not to be insensitive or anything, but maybe because he made 5 Beethoven movies and none of them had anything meaningful to do with the greatest composer mankind has ever known.

I kinda hafta agree. In Hollywood, its all about, "what have you done lately?". Fair or not, as a 'big name producer' he is associated with a lot of crap, unfortunately. But he did at least strive to elevate a genre he helped create, the teen comedy-drama. After he opened the floodgates by writing Animal House, teen movies turned into sketch comedies involving mostly sex and drug humor. Huges responded by making movies that showed teens were capable of a little more depth, focusing on the not-so-popular kids instead of rich brats and grand adventures.

For whatever reason he stepped away from directing and stuck to producing and screen writing, which after a decade tarnished his work of the '80s with a number of bad movies in the '90s. You have to think that at sometime or another he would've sat back down in that director's chair, since most of what he'd directed was actually pretty successful. Maybe his directing saved his writing - his writing alone produced some expensive flops.

ForeverAutumn
08-07-2009, 12:25 PM
I kinda hafta agree. In Hollywood, its all about, "what have you done lately?".

Um, HELLO! Farrah Fawcett?

Puleese.

3LB
08-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Um, HELLO! Farrah Fawcett?

Puleese.

Well...

1)She had a long, much publicized struggle with cancer, and before that...
2)She was tabloid fodder for her bizarre public appearences, all the while she was rumored to be a drug addict.
3)She was also pretty steady joke fodder for the late night talk show circuit.

Admittedly, not the best gigs in the world. I suspect much of the 'love' she got recently from the celebs and the media stems from the fact that they felt guilty for haranguing her for years.

but you do have a point

Worf101
08-09-2009, 01:47 AM
There are several other factors as well.

1. Mother Theresa Factor: She died the same week as Princess Diana, her big mistake. John Waters died during the same summer as Farrah, MJ and God knows who else.

2. His greatest success was almost 20 years ago and despite the millions his films made, he's no John Ford, Scorcese etc....

3. Tradgedy Overload. Seems like folks are dropping left and right these days. Sit still long enough somebody's gonna drop dead this week.

4. Summertime and the living is outdoors.

Da Chiming in on vacation Worfster

dean_martin
08-11-2009, 07:28 AM
John Waters died

Are you sure about this?

My bet is that you'll run into him while celebrating gay pride week in Amsterdam.

Worf101
08-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Are you sure about this?

My bet is that you'll run into him while celebrating gay pride week in Amsterdam.
LOL man you are sooo effin' right. Busted... Freudian slip o da tongue!!!!!

Da Worfster

nightflier
08-11-2009, 11:09 AM
LOL, are you sure you wana stay with that "tongue" statement - during gay pride week - in Amsterdam?!?

Have you forgotten some of the characters here?

Auricauricle
08-12-2009, 06:41 AM
Ah...a little lapsus of the cunning lingus, hm?

nightflier
08-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Case in point.

Auricauricle
08-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Presactly so, m'sieur! Anybody read Molly Ringwald's tribute in the NYT today?

nightflier
08-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Molly who?

Auricauricle
08-12-2009, 02:36 PM
:)
:)

nightflier
08-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks Auric, I learned how to create something new today:

:):):)
:):ciappa::)