Speaker switcher [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker switcher

hiphoprap
08-06-2009, 01:21 PM
I am currently putting some ceiling speakers in my living room for my hi-fi. I would also like to use these speakers for my television's surround sound. Is there a device that can easily switch between the two rather than having to unplug and plugin the speaker wires everytime I want to change from hi-fi audio to television audio?

Thanks for any help.

frahengeo
08-06-2009, 02:29 PM
I am currently putting some ceiling speakers in my living room for my hi-fi. I would also like to use these speakers for my television's surround sound. Is there a device that can easily switch between the two rather than having to unplug and plugin the speaker wires everytime I want to change from hi-fi audio to television audio?

Thanks for any help.

Assuming that your Amp doesn't have built-in A/B selector, Niles carries many units that may suit your needs.

harley .guy07
08-06-2009, 02:47 PM

Thanks for any help.

If Niles doesn't have anything to help you or they are to pricey for you you could try looking at Parts Express or one of the other electrical parts and speaker building sites. Most of them have speaker switch boxes and they might have one that will also allow inputs from different sources as well. Good luck

luvtolisten
08-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Sounds like you want to switch between sources, rather than speakers. I just ordered a speaker selector from the following website. Doesn't have the Niles name, but still would do the job and a lot more inexpensive.

http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/speaker-selectors.html

If you want to switch between sources, this one would do the trick:

http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/dsduso4zosps1.html

hiphoprap
08-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Sorry, I should have been clearer, I need to switch between sources.

Many thanks for all your replies.

harley .guy07
08-07-2009, 02:54 PM

I checked out the sites luvtolisten said to look at and there are products on there that are multi source as well. They might have something that will work for you and they don't look like they are very expensive either.

luvtolisten
08-07-2009, 03:07 PM

No need to apologize, you were clear, (to me anyway:D) And by the way, Welcome!
I made one of those boxes to do what you're talking about, using a 4 pole relay, with a 120vac coil. I used one of those plug in the wall on/off remotes to activate it. The parts were accessible and free to me at the time, I just had to buy the on/off plug& remote. It was like $10.
Rat Shack does sell a switchbox, but not much cheaper than the one I suggested, just very cheaply made and it DOESN'T have any type of protection. Niles is good quality, but I think you are paying a bit more for the name.

blackraven
08-07-2009, 08:52 PM
www.nilesaudio.com consider the SAS-1 or the SPK-1