Cosmos (Richard Davies/Robert Pollard collaboration) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cosmos (Richard Davies/Robert Pollard collaboration)

Slosh
08-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Am I the only one that knows about this around here? The album is called Jar Of Jam Ton Of Bricks. Although this is a collaboration Davies' fingerprints are all over it. It sounds much more like a Davies record with guest vocals than Guided By Voices, which would be my preference anyway. Davies does handle lead singing on some of the tracks as well.

All of the songs are concise and many have a raw, unfinished feel to them. That doesn't take much away though but I do at times wish they fleshed out the songs a bit more. Lots of catchy stuff here as per usual with Davies and it has been sooo long since he has released anything so I'll take what I can get.

Last I heard Davies' next solo album, Tonight's Music, is in the mixing stage. Hopefully it won't be too much longer and with any luck maybe Cosmos' label (Happy Jack Rock Records) will pick it up.

Swish
08-09-2009, 10:30 AM
...thanks to a friend. :smile5: I think it's pretty good so far, but I need to spin it a few more times. My Rotel is in the shop for the HDMI upgrade, so I only have my PC or my car player right now, and neither are my favorite way to evaluate new music. I should have my baby back in a week or so, and then I can crank up those Studio 100s.

noddin0ff
08-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Noddin likes.

I don't really have any preconceived notions about Richard Davies/Robert Pollard, so I suppose that makes me less prone to want more.

It's got a nice personal and intimate and lo-fi feel. Catchy but not hook laden. Nice talent. Known entities I would lump it together with kindly include Billy Bragg, Waren Zevon, and Pink Floyd for that story-telling with alt-indie-rock vibe.

I think this one will likely make it into the favored albums that I like a long time category.