Moving to a small apartment [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Moving to a small apartment

DavidFrey
08-06-2009, 06:42 AM
I currently own a pair of Energy C-6 (aka Connoisseur 6) floorstanding speakers. I like them both for their looks and their sound.

In a couple of weeks I will be moving into a small apartment with hardwood floors. Because of that, I think that my Energy speakers 36" x 9 5/8" x 14 7/8" (91.4 x 24.4 x 37.8 cm) will be too large for the room.

I have been looking around for used speakers and a couple of pairs caught my eye.

Boston Acoustics VRB - CAD$ 300 including stands
Paradigm Studio 40 v2 - CAD$ 800 including stands

When I put those speakers on stands, I realized that I won't really be saving much space over my current speakers. Another option I have is putting the speakers without stands on the back corners of my computer desk. The desk was made during the CRT era, so it's fairly deep.

So my questions are:
What do you think of the speakers I have listed relative to what I have now?
What do you think about putting either of the new pairs of speakers on the desk? Is there something I should put under them to soak up vibrations?

Thanks!

harley .guy07
08-06-2009, 07:07 AM
I currently own a pair of Energy C-6 (aka Connoisseur 6) floorstanding speakers. I like them both for their looks and their sound.

In a couple of weeks I will be moving into a small apartment with hardwood floors. Because of that, I think that my Energy speakers 36" x 9 5/8" x 14 7/8" (91.4 x 24.4 x 37.8 cm) will be too large for the room.

I have been looking around for used speakers and a couple of pairs caught my eye.

Boston Acoustics VRB - CAD$ 300 including stands
Paradigm Studio 40 v2 - CAD$ 800 including stands

When I put those speakers on stands, I realized that I won't really be saving much space over my current speakers. Another option I have is putting the speakers without stands on the back corners of my computer desk. The desk was made during the CRT era, so it's fairly deep.

So my questions are:
What do you think of the speakers I have listed relative to what I have now?
What do you think about putting either of the new pairs of speakers on the desk? Is there something I should put under them to soak up vibrations?

Thanks!

I think that both the speakers mentioned are good and it would be more of a personal preference to which you liked. Personally I would go with the Paradigms due to the fact that I believe they would be a little cleaner in the midrange dept. and probably have more low end. The idea of putting your speakers on a computer desk will probably have negative affects in the overall sound of these speakers. Your soundstaging and imaging would definitely suffer due to the cabinet disrupting the natural flow of sound waves coming from these speakers. They do make stands that have floor spikes and pads that isolate the sound from resonating onto the floors and I believe this would give you a better solution to your problem. The less furniture or items you have close to your speakers almost always will give you better results.

DavidFrey
08-06-2009, 10:21 AM
I think that both the speakers mentioned are good and it would be more of a personal preference to which you liked. Personally I would go with the Paradigms due to the fact that I believe they would be a little cleaner in the midrange dept. and probably have more low end. The idea of putting your speakers on a computer desk will probably have negative affects in the overall sound of these speakers. Your soundstaging and imaging would definitely suffer due to the cabinet disrupting the natural flow of sound waves coming from these speakers. They do make stands that have floor spikes and pads that isolate the sound from resonating onto the floors and I believe this would give you a better solution to your problem. The less furniture or items you have close to your speakers almost always will give you better results.

I realize that the Paradigms are probably better sounding speakers than the Boston Acoustics. The question is really whether they are worth the extra $500 when compared to the $300 Boston Acoustics speakers.

I think that both of these sets of speakers probably sound best mounted on stands, but the main reason that I am considering replacing my Energy C-6 speakers is to save floor space. That was why I asked about putting the new speakers on a desk. I'm guessing that some really short stands on my desk might do the trick.

What do you think?

Hyfi
08-06-2009, 10:38 AM
I realize that the Paradigms are probably better sounding speakers than the Boston Acoustics. The question is really whether they are worth the extra $500 when compared to the $300 Boston Acoustics speakers.

I think that both of these sets of speakers probably sound best mounted on stands, but the main reason that I am considering replacing my Energy C-6 speakers is to save floor space. That was why I asked about putting the new speakers on a desk. I'm guessing that some really short stands on my desk might do the trick.

What do you think?

If you have the amp to drive them, you may want to look at some Dynaudios. The Audience 42s or the new Excite line replacement.

harley .guy07
08-06-2009, 12:54 PM

What do you think?

You could try the small stands on the desk and see how it works. If you can position them right you might get some descent results.

As for the 500 dollar deference well these two speakers it all comes down to what you want. The Bostons might be fine for you especially with the cheaper price but I would try to here them to make sure that you are not going to buy something that you will not be satisfied with. The Energy's you have now I know are pretty good sounding speakers and if you are wanting something that will sound as good in a smaller package then you might have to spend a little more. But I also have never heard anything bad about the Bostons when compared to like priced speakers. There are allot of bookshelf speakers out there that are in the 300 to 500 price range to look at. I would be open minded and look around and see whats out there. You just might like the Bostons well enough to save you some money and go with them.

DavidFrey
08-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks for all of the replies so far.

I have found a pair of Paradigm Studio 20 v1 for $325. I think that might be the most promising option right now.

harley .guy07
08-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks for all of the replies so far.

I have found a pair of Paradigm Studio 20 v1 for $325. I think that might be the most promising option right now.

I have heard them and they are very good. At that price they would be a awesome addition. I don't think you would be let down.

DavidFrey
08-07-2009, 01:33 PM
I ended up buying the Paradigm Studio 20 v1 speakers. Does anyone know where I can find a user manual PDF? There is a catalog on the Paradigm site, but it only covers their current models.

henery21
02-15-2021, 09:10 PM
I know that my wesbite (https://www.nyrentownsell.com/blog/what-is-an-efficiency-apartment-studio-vs-efficiency-apartments/) will help you with something based upon Home Theatre / Music setup for oddly-shaped apartment. In case you are ready to learn this through then contact us through mail. We all are looking forward to this at this stage for a good enough way as this can be nice for all of us now.

good post i like

jomM0923
08-09-2021, 05:45 AM
Great article, I found it both helpful and interesting. Thanks for sharing. I was thinking about new construction
and how sometimes technology packages catch a buyer’s attention and they forget about looking for energy-efficient
homes too. Utility savings can pay for those features. Electrician Chilliwack (https://www.electricianchilliwack.com/)

yammy man
02-23-2022, 08:58 AM
I'm not trying to be a wise guy but I don't know what you mean by small apartment. I once lived in two rooms without soundproof walls, floor, or ceiling. I used a pair of Koss Pro 4 headphones, as my only other option was eviction.

jamison42166
03-22-2022, 07:28 PM
Your a f*ucking qu*eer

jamison42166
03-22-2022, 07:31 PM
Whats the difference between a jew and a pepperoni pizza?
A pepperoni pizza doesnt scream when you put it in the oven.
Kill the jews

jackslesly19
06-18-2022, 10:15 PM
This is such an amazing useful resource that you’re providing and you give it away for free.

Jacks from www.tejadosgijon.com (https://www.tejadosgijon.com/)