March Music Madness: Yes vs. Fleetwood Mac [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : March Music Madness: Yes vs. Fleetwood Mac

newtrix1
03-22-2004, 06:37 PM
semi-final match #1:
Please vote on your more favorite artist between Yes and Fleetwood Mac.

Rules are loose with March Music Madness, but the idea is to choose the band (or artist) you enjoy more, rather than which band is “greater”, or more influencial, etc.

thank you.

notes:

Justifying your vote is not required, but....in the event of a tie, winning band will be determined by the voter who posts the best justification (explanation) as to why they like the band they voted for (or why they don't like the other band).

Previous winners of elimination matches (Yes, Flaming Lips, Wilco, Talking Heads, Fleetwood Mac, Bob Marley, AC/DC and Prince) will face off two at a time and winners will move into the “final 4” round.

semi-final match 1(in progress): Yes vs. Fleetwood Mac
semi-final match 2 (tba):
semi-final match 3 (tba):
semi-final match 4 (tba):

newtrix1
03-22-2004, 06:58 PM
I've always thought of Fleetwood Mac as casual entertainment. The discussion in the elimination round surrounding Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac has me interested in checking out some stuff of theirs from that period.

Yes, on the other hand, go much deeper than casual listening. During the time when my enjoyment as a fan was at it's peak, I would play something by Yes almost every day. Listening sessions were generally high volume headphone affairs (no one else in my family seemed to enjoy them), accompanied by energectic playing along of air instruments and gender questioning falsetto attempts at Andersons vocals. :o

Those were the days... :)

ForeverAutumn
03-22-2004, 07:27 PM
Looking at the eight bands still in the running, I cast my vote for Yes to take it all. Can we have Vegas odds on the remaining bands?

dld
03-22-2004, 07:46 PM
Tough choice. lately , nothing has been in my changer more often than Fragile. What an awesome album, from front to back. Prolly their best IMHO. Listening to Fragile and the Yes album bring back memories of grooving to those albums whilst under the heavy influence of green mescaline, orange sunshine, or some other near halluciogenic. As much of a, uhhh, fun and unique experience as that was, my heart really belongs to Fleetwood Mac. The variety of music they put out from the Peter Green blues days, to the edgy pop rock of the Spencer/Welsh/Kirwin days to the laidback So. Cal. rock of the Buckingham Nicks days, at least thru Tusk (tho Mirage is no slouch) just wins it for me. I really discovered them circa 1974 as a newlywed, although Oh Well definitely got my attn in 1969. I guess it may have been the times, but they were special to my lady and I and their 1974 concert at Mcfarlin auditorium in Dallas was one of the best rock concerts I've ever seen. I'm sure this will be a minority opinion but these guys deserve at least one vote.

NP-Yes, Fragile

Mr MidFi
03-23-2004, 06:49 AM
Yes. The "holy trinity" of The Yes Album, Fragile and CTTE are so freakin' definitive of their genre that they can't be denied. Their continuing output over the years (especially Relayer and Going for the One) is icing on the cake.

newtrix1
03-23-2004, 07:18 AM
Looking at the eight bands still in the running, I cast my vote for Yes to take it all. Can we have Vegas odds on the remaining bands?
I did a quick seeding, and this is how I see it:

1 Bob Marley
2 Talking Heads
3 Wilco
4Yes
5 Flaming Lips
6 AC/DC
7 Fleetwood Mac
8 Prince

just my personal opinion here. I was wrong on several prior matches, so we'll see how it goes... :)

Troy
03-23-2004, 07:25 AM
Of the 8 left, Yes is the most creative and colorful band.

Dave_G
03-23-2004, 07:46 AM
Two different bands but both have been very successful.

YES.

Dave

DariusNYC
03-23-2004, 08:09 AM
I like both bands but I think Fleetwood Mac has produced many more great songs, so they get my vote.

Yes was an extremely creative and impressive band at their peak.

Swish
03-23-2004, 11:12 AM
Ok, I'll go with Yes, but only by a nose. Like dld, I grew up listening to the Yes Album and Fragile, usually while under the influence of some sort :) . Those were the days (sigh). Anyway, they made me gag when I saw them on a tv special last year. Chris Squire in capri pants was too much to take, and Steve Howe looks pretty freaky, but he can still play like a mother. Of course, the thought of a Macwood Fleet reonion is even more horrifying, especially without that lovely creature Christie McVey (spellling???).

Anyway, neither band does much for me these days, so this was a choice of lesser evils.

Regards,
Swish Baby

jack70
03-23-2004, 01:23 PM
Fleetwood Mac is really 3 completely different bands. So that screws up this poll for me. The early one with P Green is one of the best bands anywhere. The next version of the band was very good too, although a little too smooth to get as high a mark as the early band. The Buckingham Nicks band never did anything for me.

Yes is typical of most good rock bands... they started well, reached a nice plateau, then hung around way too long.

3-LockBox
03-26-2004, 10:52 AM
Both bands started in the late 60's, both bands have seen majar personel changes, both band's apex in popularity ended in the late to mid '80s, and both bands have one thing in common...the same bass player throughout their existance. But, for my money, I go with Yes, simply because they've not tried to cater to changing tastes in popular music, but rather make the music they're most closely associated with, and they've done it without adoration from mainstream press or casual fans.