Infinity SM 152 home speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Infinity SM 152 home speakers

Mr. Zimmy
08-05-2009, 03:50 PM
I love my Infinity SM 152 home speakers.
I have 4.....driven with 2 Carvers.
I blew a woofer recently and am having trouble finding a replacement,

I tried Harmon group but they didn't help much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(Im jonzin for some loud jams again)

Mr Zimmy

harley .guy07
08-05-2009, 04:08 PM
I love my Infinity SM 152 home speakers.
I have 4.....driven with 2 Carvers.
I blew a woofer recently and am having trouble finding a replacement,

I tried Harmon group but they didn't help much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(Im jonzin for some loud jams again)

Mr Zimmy

These are when Infinity made their 15" woofer floorstanders and they have been around awhile. I will think you will have problems finding a exact replacement woofer for these in the fact that they have not been made in a while unless you luck out and find someone online that is parting one of these out and has good woofers for sale. Besides that the only option that I know of is to measure the internal volume of your cabinets and find out how big and long your ports on the cabinets are and call parts express or some company that sells woofers that might have a replacement woofer that would work in your size of cabinet with the port it has. The only kicker is that if it was me I would want to change all the woofers so that I would have exactly the same drivers in every cabinet. That might come into some dollars but that is the only way I see you remedying this problem. But I would exhaust every option to try to find someone selling a woofer from a original Infinity 152 first. It will save you money and time trying to find a new woofer to work in all your cabinets because it probably won't be a infinity brand woofer you will find at a speaker repair company. Good luck with your search.

Mr Peabody
08-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Depending also on what "blew" means it may be possible to have your woofer rebuilt. You'll have to check with a reputable service shop. They will need to be able to find a kit for that woofer or one that matches close.

How big is your room? With four of those at 101dB efficiency driven by Carver amps, I'd say you like it loud. I'm not much of a Carver fan but most of those amps had lots of watts. I thought 152's had protection circuits, or relays, for the mids & highs, I wonder how the woofer blew, unless you didn't notice them go into protection.

Mr Peabody
08-05-2009, 08:52 PM
If you do get your 152' up and running again you might want to try a sub if you don't already have one. The 152's though sporting 15's still only had a mid bass thump for Disco or Rock, no true deep bass like a Kappa or RS would do. Carver's aren't exactly bass amps either being more voltage based than current. I may be assuming too much but I'd bet you blew the woofer because the bass was turned up or loudness control on in order to get the type of bass response you are wanting.

Good suggestion though to look around for used 152's either as parts or a replacement. I've never looked on Audiogon for Infinity but you might try, also Craigslist and Ebay.
Best luck.