hello I am new to audio review forums [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : hello I am new to audio review forums

harley .guy07
08-04-2009, 08:28 PM
I have just started tonight being a part of the whole audio review world and am very excited to get to know everyone and be able to talk about the wonderful world of audio and video electronics. I am an avid audiophile that loves to talk with like minded people with this interest. I have worked in the audio field by managing a mid to high end audio store and have installed home theater systems and high end audio systems. Have spent some time repairing speakers and amps and have even installed and tuned pro sound equipment for live shows and some dance clubs. My system is rather modest in regards to price point and high end marks but I am a big fan of getting the best sound without having to spend the fortunes that some people have spent to get the sound they have. I am by no way saying that the elite high end stuff is not in a league of its own but only certain people in this world are fortunate to be able to afford that kind of equipment but I have worked with some of the best equipment available by way of installation and working in a high end shop so In a way I feel like I have some insight to the upper high end as well as the affordable stuff. I look forward to what I can learn from people and to what I might be able to add to the forum as well. Thanks.

02audionoob
08-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here.

JoeE SP9
08-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Welcome to the forum.

harley .guy07
08-04-2009, 10:06 PM
thanks for the kind invite. Looking forward to talking with some audio fans like me. I do have one item I would like to bring up. I am currently in the market to replace my main speakers and have done some research. My question is I currently have Paradigms monitor 7 but do not like the new 7. Do like the 9 but I have read that for the money the Axiom m60 v2 is comparable to the Paradigm studio 60 or 100's. I have heard to 100's and do like the sound but I am always a fan of the thousand dollar speaker that outperforms the big dogs and from what I have read the Axiom M60 is that speaker. I know I can not go anywhere to hear them because they are online order only and there is nobody I know of in my area that has them. Have not heard the 60's but would like to but the Paradigm dealer in my area is small and does not keep much in stock. Any reply in this regard would be appreciated. And if there is another brand I should take a look at as well let me know.

I know I should be in the speaker forum to ask this question but I am new to this forum and did not think about changing to the speaker only section.

blackraven
08-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Welcome Harley! I've heard the Paradigm Studio 60's and they are a great sounding speaker. I can't help you with the Axiom's, but they do have a money back guarantee. It would be worth it to trial them in home.

I would add Monitor Audio RS6's and 8's to your list of speakers to consider. But just remember that speakers are so subjective.

harley .guy07
08-04-2009, 11:04 PM
I know I have several choices in my price range which is the very popular 800 to 2000 dollar price range and there are many products out there worth considering. Axiom does offer a good return policy and I have had a chance to hear their smaller m22 speaker and really liked the transparency that I heard. The Monitor audio line is one I have read about but have not heard yet. I am trying to stay with a floorstanding model for its dynamic capabilities but I also do know that there are many bookshelves in this price range that are very good. Dynaudio and bowers and wilkins come to mind plus many others but with my like for dynamics I believe a floordstander would serve me better with my music tastes and my love for full bottom end in the front. I do have a good sub but still I like my fronts to have good bottom end.

kexodusc
08-05-2009, 03:48 AM
I've heard the Axiom's. They're not quite as good as the Studio 60's or 100's, but I would definitely put them over the Monitor 9's. Probably the best "value" sweet spot of this mix.

If you've heard and liked the M22, you will really like the M60's, the added drivers really give more bottom end, better resolution in the midrange, and much lower distortion across the spectrum - these speakers play much better than the M22 as the volume goes up. For most people, Axiom's tweeter and treble presentation is a personal preference thing, but it's similar to the M22...again, if you liked what you heard, you should be good here.

They are a solidly constructed speaker, above what I see in most $1000 towers. Like most Axiom speakers I've heard, I found them very fussy with respect to toe-in and placement, but once you figure out where to put them they are quite capable.

Welcome to the Forums.

Hyfi
08-05-2009, 05:15 AM
I know I have several choices in my price range which is the very popular 800 to 2000 dollar price range and there are many products out there worth considering. Axiom does offer a good return policy and I have had a chance to hear their smaller m22 speaker and really liked the transparency that I heard. The Monitor audio line is one I have read about but have not heard yet. I am trying to stay with a floorstanding model for its dynamic capabilities but I also do know that there are many bookshelves in this price range that are very good. Dynaudio and bowers and wilkins come to mind plus many others but with my like for dynamics I believe a floordstander would serve me better with my music tastes and my love for full bottom end in the front. I do have a good sub but still I like my fronts to have good bottom end.

Hello and welcome aboard.

I can vouch for Dynaudio speakers. I have both Audience 82s and 42s. As long as you have the proper amp, these speakers perform well. I am quite amazed when I hook my 42s up as mains. (they are my rears for HT) I'm assuming for a moddest room, the 52s would rock. I helped a friend with a system that included the 72s which are also very nice.

Dynaudio just replaced the Audience line with Excite. I have yet to hear them but all the speakers have a slightly smaller footprint so I am hoping cabinet loos does not equal bass loss.

Cheers and have fun. FA just bought a pair of Studio 60s she is waiting to arrive. Maybe she will chime in.

frahengeo
08-05-2009, 06:20 AM
I have just started tonight being a part of the whole audio review world and am very excited to get to know everyone and be able to talk about the wonderful world of audio and video electronics. I am an avid audiophile that loves to talk with like minded people with this interest. I have worked in the audio field by managing a mid to high end audio store and have installed home theater systems and high end audio systems. Have spent some time repairing speakers and amps and have even installed and tuned pro sound equipment for live shows and some dance clubs. My system is rather modest in regards to price point and high end marks but I am a big fan of getting the best sound without having to spend the fortunes that some people have spent to get the sound they have. I am by no way saying that the elite high end stuff is not in a league of its own but only certain people in this world are fortunate to be able to afford that kind of equipment but I have worked with some of the best equipment available by way of installation and working in a high end shop so In a way I feel like I have some insight to the upper high end as well as the affordable stuff. I look forward to what I can learn from people and to what I might be able to add to the forum as well. Thanks.

Its always good to have someone that's worked in the AV industry. I imagine that you must've come across many different brands and at various costs, so your take, your opinion, your experience would be invaluable to the community.

harley .guy07
08-05-2009, 07:36 AM
Thank you for the warm welcome that everyone is showing me now that I have finally became a member of what I believe to be the most comprehensive audio and video forums on the web. I think will take your guys advice and try out some of the Dynadio towers that you talk about. When I worked in the trade I sold Paradigm,Mirage,B@W, and we did sell Energy for a short time but dropped sue to sales dropoff. All these brands produced towers that were very good ut also made some W T H models that made you scratch your head and wonder what they were thinking. I did like the Energy Verita line of speakers with there aluminum tweeter,midrange combo. But I don't think they are built anymore. The B@W has various models in the different lines that are good and some that are bad. But in total I believe the brand is overpriced per performance. Not downing the brand in any way but they are expensive per peformance. I own the monitor 7's and they are fine but not quite the speaker I want anymore. Great for loud rock but not detailed enough for my tastes for jazz or acoustical music. The Axioms seemed to be the great mix of strikingly low price but with a performance edge that can hange with speaker double the price. I know there are better out there but I am always a price per performance audiophile and dig the whole high end without the second mortgage thing.

frenchmon
08-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome that everyone is showing me now that I have finally became a member of what I believe to be the most comprehensive audio and video forums on the web. I think will take your guys advice and try out some of the Dynadio towers that you talk about. When I worked in the trade I sold Paradigm,Mirage,B@W, and we did sell Energy for a short time but dropped sue to sales dropoff. All these brands produced towers that were very good ut also made some W T H models that made you scratch your head and wonder what they were thinking. I did like the Energy Verita line of speakers with there aluminum tweeter,midrange combo. But I don't think they are built anymore. The B@W has various models in the different lines that are good and some that are bad. But in total I believe the brand is overpriced per performance. Not downing the brand in any way but they are expensive per peformance. I own the monitor 7's and they are fine but not quite the speaker I want anymore. Great for loud rock but not detailed enough for my tastes for jazz or acoustical music. The Axioms seemed to be the great mix of strikingly low price but with a performance edge that can hange with speaker double the price. I know there are better out there but I am always a price per performance audiophile and dig the whole high end without the second mortgage thing.

I to own a pair of Monitor 7'v3 and they are a fine speaker in my opinion. And like you, I hate the much smaller monitor 7's. It may not be the speakers detail but may be the way you are using them. I listen to a bunch of Jazz and some classical and blues and New Age. The 7's are in my hometheater system driven by a Marantz AV reciever and a Adcom amp in 5.1. When I go PURE DIRECT with them driven by the Marantz and the ADCOM only...the sound is good. But when I took the 7's down to the two channel room and slid them into the two channel systems 200 watts per channel it was a new speaker. I see you are driving them with a Yammie and ADCOM amp. Perhaps they will be a new speaker for you as well if you gave them a dedicated two channel home.

harley .guy07
08-05-2009, 12:43 PM
There might be a chance you are right. And allot of your audiophiles have two systems. One that is dedicated to music and one that is for home theater. I personally do not have the room in my home for this but it would be a very nice option. Due to room restrictions I am forced to do what allot of people do and combine my theater system with my music system which is not bad in most cases. My Yamaha is clean and my Adcom is very transparent and powerful but I do need to play with room placement. I need to pull them out from the walls a little bit more they are only about a foot now, and I need to get them away from the side walls a little more, they are about 16 inches. I would probably benefit from better speaker cables. Running Monsters cables better cables right now but I know theres allot better out there. These "little" things make a huge difference in the sound of a system. I have worked in the sales and installation of high end equipment and know better than to leave my system set up below par but I have been busy with other stuff lately and blew it off. I will get on that part asap.

frenchmon
08-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Well play around with your system. But I assure you, nothing wrong with those 7's. They sound much better than the new 7's IMO. I still cant understand why Paradigm did what they did to the newer 7's.

harley .guy07
08-05-2009, 01:30 PM
I truly believe that Paradigm is starting to get to the point where there performance for the dollar is not as good as it once was. The new Monitor series seems to look good but you have to spend more money and move up the line to get the same type of performance they use to give for for less money. I do know that our speakers were thought of as Paradigms pride and joys in those years but since the reference studios and signature series came out they seem to market the monitor series as the rock in roll loud for the money setup and not so much for transparency and quality of sound that they once marketed these speakers to be. I am by no means saying the new monitor 9 and 11 do not sound good but for the dollars spent I think you can do better with other products today. I do love my 7's but just like with cars or houses sometimes you just want a change. I will keep my 7's and possibly make either a music only system(if I can fit it) out of them or make some very synamic rear speakers out o them and start to look at some new mains. Have looked at the Axiom m60 v2 and I don't know if you have heard them but the press on them is great. They test better than the monitor series and from what Ive heard they are on par with the studio series at under half the price. At $990 a pair I think I will look at them. In the mean time I am going to do some long overdue placement and wiring experimenting to see what I can get the 7's to do. Who knows maybe I will end up holding off on the upgrade. Although I need some new rears, they are getting old and are starting to have driver problems.

harley .guy07
08-05-2009, 02:03 PM
I just want to ask what speaker cables are you running with these. I am currently running 10 gauge monster cable but I know there is better out there. I am just trying to get back to making these sound at their best before I decide to retire them for rear use and spend money on new mains. I know I've got good equipment for them but I do believe I could do better with the power transmission between amp and speaker. And how far away from the back and side walls do you have yours setup.

LeRoy
08-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Hello Harely,

Here are a couple of considerations for you. 1) Usher speakers. I have a local dealer very nearby where I live and have had the opportunity to listen to various models in their line up. I once owned the bookshelf S-520's and it was quite a performer. Of course the Usher towers are in another league over the bookshelf but what the Usher line has in abundance is a very dynamic presentation. I always feel assaulted by the music that comes out of the Usher speakers. 2) Speaker wire from Chord. I have a pair of 2 conductor Chord Carnival Silver Screen speaker wire and I think it's a component in it's own right. I am actually traveling this upcoming weekend to a dealer about 100 miles away to go buy some Chord C.C.S.S 4-conductor speaker wire...and to drink Stout malted beverages as well.

At any rate, the Chord is a slam dunk and try to find an Usher dealer near you and give them a listen. Take care.

LeRoy

harley .guy07
08-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Hello Harely,

Here are a couple of considerations for you. 1) Usher speakers. I have a local dealer very nearby where I live and have had the opportunity to listen to various models in their line up. I once owned the bookshelf S-520's and it was quite a performer. Of course the Usher towers are in another league over the bookshelf but what the Usher line has in abundance is a very dynamic presentation. I always feel assaulted by the music that comes out of the Usher speakers. 2) Speaker wire from Chord. I have a pair of 2 conductor Chord Carnival Silver Screen speaker wire and I think it's a component in it's own right. I am actually traveling this upcoming weekend to a dealer about 100 miles away to go buy some Chord C.C.S.S 4-conductor speaker wire...and to drink Stout malted beverages as well.

At any rate, the Chord is a slam dunk and try to find an Usher dealer near you and give them a listen. Take care.

LeRoy

I just might have to do that. And the beverages sound nice to. What kind of prices are the chord line of cables running. I have heard of them but never have worked with them. Have used XLO and have had good results in systems Ive installed but that was years ago and I'm not sure they are still around. But you are right a good set of matched speaker cables can make or brake the soundstage and image of your system, and can tighten up your bass by a big margin. Ive read allot about the Usher speakers and they always rate high. If my memory serves me correct their designer lives in taiwan and produces his speakers there. If I am wrong please tell me but if this is right then form what I have heard he is a very good speaker designer.

frenchmon
08-05-2009, 03:46 PM
I truly believe that Paradigm is starting to get to the point where there performance for the dollar is not as good as it once was. The new Monitor series seems to look good but you have to spend more money and move up the line to get the same type of performance they use to give for for less money. I do know that our speakers were thought of as Paradigms pride and joys in those years but since the reference studios and signature series came out they seem to market the monitor series as the rock in roll loud for the money setup and not so much for transparency and quality of sound that they once marketed these speakers to be. I am by no means saying the new monitor 9 and 11 do not sound good but for the dollars spent I think you can do better with other products today. I do love my 7's but just like with cars or houses sometimes you just want a change. I will keep my 7's and possibly make either a music only system(if I can fit it) out of them or make some very synamic rear speakers out o them and start to look at some new mains. Have looked at the Axiom m60 v2 and I don't know if you have heard them but the press on them is great. They test better than the monitor series and from what Ive heard they are on par with the studio series at under half the price. At $990 a pair I think I will look at them. In the mean time I am going to do some long overdue placement and wiring experimenting to see what I can get the 7's to do. Who knows maybe I will end up holding off on the upgrade. Although I need some new rears, they are getting old and are starting to have driver problems.

I do agree with what you said about the performance/price issue with the monitor line. I will never purchase the new monitor line. IF I do purchase Paradigm it would be the Studio or Signature line. I will never part with the 7's I do have...I love them. They work fine in my hometheater.. I also have another hometheater in the basement that has a pair of Paradigm mini-monitors v'3 as mains and they to do a great job. From what I hear about the Axioms is that they are a very bright speaker tho I have never heard them my self. I would be very interested in your review of the m60's. You also may want to look at a speaker that has always been mentioned with Axiom...Aperionaudio...they also have great reviews, and they give you free shipping both ways if you dont like the speakers.

frenchmon
08-05-2009, 03:53 PM
I just want to ask what speaker cables are you running with these. I am currently running 10 gauge monster cable but I know there is better out there. I am just trying to get back to making these sound at their best before I decide to retire them for rear use and spend money on new mains. I know I've got good equipment for them but I do believe I could do better with the power transmission between amp and speaker. And how far away from the back and side walls do you have yours setup.

I am using only monprice 12 gauge speaker wire with banana plugs. Each run is about 8 feet long. I do have them bi-wired. Are you bi-wired? They do sound good in my hometheater, they sound even better when I run them in Pure Direct two channel with the Marantz and Adcom amp...but they do shine in my dedicated two channel system. Two Feet from teh back wall and 8feet from the side walls.

harley .guy07
08-05-2009, 04:16 PM
I am using only monprice 12 gauge speaker wire with banana plugs. Each run is about 8 feet long. I do have them bi-wired. Are you bi-wired? They do sound good in my hometheater, they sound even better when I run them in Pure Direct two channel with the Marantz and Adcom amp...but they do shine in my dedicated two channel system. Two Feet from teh back wall and 8feet from the side walls.

I do not have them bi-wired. And I have never tried that with these but I can see where you could get good results from this. I can do the 2 feet from the back walls but 8 feet from the side walls will not work since my room is not that size with the equipment in the way. I have tried them in bigger rooms when me and my friends get together and try different setups and in my friends rather large living room I had them about 7 feet from the side walls and they did sound better but with limited space in my home I could probably be good to get 3 feet. but I will continue to play around with them to try to get better results. Thanks for the input and I might even try biwiring them. At one time I thought about buying another 545 mk2 and bi amping them but it never happened. I think that might be pretty cool to try.

harley .guy07
08-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Hello Harely,

LeRoy

I just took a look at their website and looked at the x 718 speaker. Looks like a very well built speaker and the reviews are awesome. Have you heard this model? Its seems to be the model in my price range and if the dynamics could hold its own to a floorstander in this price range I might look at them very seriously.

harley .guy07
08-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Hello Harely,

LeRoy

I went to goodsounds website and they do a direct comparison between the usher x 718 and the axiom m60 v2. They did say that the midrange was slightly more transparent with the 718's and the soundstage was just a hint better but overall they were very close to each other in transparency and natural sound. What the Axioms gave up there they gained in bass extension and dynamics. So I am still on the fence with this one. I like the looks of both speakers equally but I do like Axioms finish options better. And the fact that the Axioms are towers means I don't have to spring for stands. The Usher stands were rather expensive even though they look very attractive.I do know I could get other stands at lower prices that would work so thats no excuse for me not to consider them. Both have a good warranty and good reputation so that would be no worry for me. I do enjoy a good movie from time to time and the fact that Axiom has allot more theater options to is appealing but not a decision maker. I guess I need to do more homework and think about it for a while. In the mean time I am going to try to make my paradigm monitor 7's sound better

LeRoy
08-06-2009, 03:41 PM
I just might have to do that. And the beverages sound nice to. What kind of prices are the chord line of cables running. I have heard of them but never have worked with them. Have used XLO and have had good results in systems Ive installed but that was years ago and I'm not sure they are still around. But you are right a good set of matched speaker cables can make or brake the soundstage and image of your system, and can tighten up your bass by a big margin. Ive read allot about the Usher speakers and they always rate high. If my memory serves me correct their designer lives in taiwan and produces his speakers there. If I am wrong please tell me but if this is right then form what I have heard he is a very good speaker designer.

The designer is in Taiwan and he consults with Dr. Joseph D'Aplolito in the USA for fine tuning of the crossover.

I paid $139.00 for an 8ft/pr of 2 conductor CCSS speaker wire. Once I get the CCSS 4 conductor I will post the price I paid for it. If you were looking for the possibility of improving the sound of your Paradigms then the CCSS is certainly an inexpensive option without having to buy a new set of speakers... Either way, good luck with your quest. :3:

harley .guy07
08-06-2009, 03:59 PM
The designer is in Taiwan and he consults with Dr. Joseph D'Aplolito in the USA for fine tuning of the crossover.

I paid $139.00 for an 8ft/pr of 2 conductor CCSS speaker wire. Once I get the CCSS 4 conductor I will post the price I paid for it. If you were looking for the possibility of improving the sound of your Paradigms then the CCSS is certainly an inexpensive option without having to buy a new set of speakers... Either way, good luck with your quest. :3:

I have pulled out some XLO cables that I had from years ago and they are better than the monster cable which I was running now I am using monster for my rears and XLO 600 pro cables for my mains which helped out quite a bit. I forgot I had them stored away after letting a friend use them to audition some used Infinity Crescendos that he wanted to by, Its amazing what you can forget you have stored away but I was working allot last summer and just stored them in my Extra electrical box in my garage and used some of the same monster cable my rears use and forgot to change it back. I have a lot more time now so I will be able to "play" around with stuff and dial it in. I don't think the XLO cables that I have will compare to the ones you have mentioned in 2 for 4 conductor but I have noticed soundstaging and imaging differences with these cables. Have had them on this system before but it was a while back.