How different are transports from Mega CD changers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How different are transports from Mega CD changers

pdhanwada
08-04-2009, 07:16 AM
Currently I have the Technics 110 CD changer bought more than 10 years ago. I am running the digital out into my B&K preamp --> B&K AMP --> Paradigm Signature S4 speakers.

I am considering to include a DAC between the transport and the Preamp preferable under $1000. Also I am not sure about the cd changer quality. Does it have any impact on the sound.

I like the convieniance of the cd changers because I feel they hold signicant number of CDs without we touching them and play them as and they want.

The ones I see under transport section in Audiogon are all different than what I have.

How different are hifi transports different from cd changers. How do each of them impact the sound produced.

Thanks
Pandu

pixelthis
08-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Currently I have the Technics 110 CD changer bought more than 10 years ago. I am running the digital out into my B&K preamp --> B&K AMP --> Paradigm Signature S4 speakers.

I am considering to include a DAC between the transport and the Preamp preferable under $1000. Also I am not sure about the cd changer quality. Does it have any impact on the sound.

I like the convieniance of the cd changers because I feel they hold signicant number of CDs without we touching them and play them as and they want.

The ones I see under transport section in Audiogon are all different than what I have.

How different are hifi transports different from cd changers. How do each of them impact the sound produced.

Thanks
Pandu

Not that much...IMHO.
I have a Sony 300 disc changer, and use it mostly for storage.
I had one of those technics you talk about, of all of the changers its the most "HI-FI"
due to the way it loads.
I recently re-aquired a DVD-A player (panasonic) that plays audio very well, and it sounds a lot better.
But mostly now that I HAVE ALL OF MY AUDIO loaded on my computer , I just use that.
The sound is great and you cant beat the convience:1:

Mr Peabody
08-05-2009, 05:34 AM
The way you are using your changer is basically a transport. You are using a digital connection so the B&K is actually doing the decoding. The question would be how much better would an external DAC be versus your B&K DAC built in.

If you have a DVD player you might try an experiment by dropping a CD in to see if you notice any difference from what you heard when it was in the changer.

I personally have noticed differences in transports effect on sound. I think much of it has to do with the clocking and handling of the digital content when passing it out of the digital output. I have a TDK CD recorder that did not sound very well through my Conrad Johnson DAC, when using my old Denon as transport the sound was very good. I also noticed when using an Audio Note DAC the sound was different when connected to a Krell CD player versus an EAD transport. I would think a stand alone player would offer more stability in playback over a changer but any difference may be negligible for you. I would try experimenting with some single disc units to see if you hear any difference.

noddin0ff
08-05-2009, 07:12 AM
The way you are using your changer is basically a transport. You are using a digital connection so the B&K is actually doing the decoding. The question would be how much better would an external DAC be versus your B&K DAC built in.

If you have a DVD player you might try an experiment by dropping a CD in to see if you notice any difference from what you heard when it was in the changer.

If you consider doing this comparison, make sure you connect digitally the same way to your B&K when you use the DVD as you did with the CD...