The Decemberists - a concert review. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Decemberists - a concert review.

ForeverAutumn
08-04-2009, 07:16 AM
Well, to be honest, this show was a bit of a bust for me.

I was curious to see the opening act, Heartless Bastards. The doors for the show opened at 7:00 so we figured the opening act would hit the stage around 9:00 (based on previous experience at this venue). We arrived at the venue about 8:35 thinking that we’d have time to grab a beverage and find our piece of floor for the evening. We were just in time to catch the last 30 seconds of Heartless Bastards who started their set at 8:00! Oh well.

The Decemberists started their set at 9:15. This was good. I thought that we were going to have a really late night and I’d be a zombie at work the next day. But now it was looking like we’d be home much earlier than I had anticipated (I’m old…I know).

This is a band that I've been wanting to see live for a while now. Everyone that I know who has seen them has told me how great they are live so I've really been looking forward to this show.

They put on a great show, but the first set was their entire new album, Hazards of Love. It's a concept album so I guess it makes sense to play the whole thing, but it's probably my least favourite album of theirs. So, to be honest, I was kind of bored.

The second set was better. They played quite a bit off of their last album, The Crane Wife, which is one of my favourite albums. They also played three new songs, which were pretty good. They had two guest female vocalists which were needed to play the characters from their new album in their first set. They came out for the last half of the second set and they all did a rockin' cover of Heart's Crazy On You. I'm not sure what it says that the cover got the largest applause of the evening.

Despite not loving the first set, overall it was a really good show. The band was excellent. I think that I just picked the wrong tour and album promotion. I would have much preferred to see them when they were supporting The Crane Wife. But, having said all that, I would definitely go to see them again.

MasterCylinder
08-04-2009, 08:52 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
But, I would definitely go to see them again.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you make all the critical decisions at your house ?

ForeverAutumn
08-04-2009, 09:35 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
But, I would definitely go to see them again.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you make all the critical decisions at your house ?

I'm not capable of making any serious decisions. Hubby makes all the important ones. I flip flop too much. :D

3LB
08-04-2009, 09:44 AM
How many people were on stage. I remember seeing them on (I think) PBS (Austin City Limits???) and I think they had 8 or 9 people on stage - they looked like freakin Lynyrd Skynyrd or sumpin...

Did they have any kind of video presentation behind them? I wondered if they'd have anything like that, especially if they were going to perform an album in its entirety.

Too bad you missed Heartless Bastards - I hear they're the most awesome live band ever and many people feel as though they've had a religious experience after seeing them.

ForeverAutumn
08-04-2009, 10:08 AM
How many people were on stage. I remember seeing them on (I think) PBS (Austin City Limits???) and I think they had 8 or 9 people on stage - they looked like freakin Lynyrd Skynyrd or sumpin...

Did they have any kind of video presentation behind them? I wondered if they'd have anything like that, especially if they were going to perform an album in its entirety.

Too bad you missed Heartless Bastards - I hear they're the most awesome live band ever and many people feel as though they've had a religious experience after seeing them.

There were the five band members and two guest singers. That was all.

As for Heartless Bastards, the crowd seemed to enjoy them. They got huge applause as they left the stage. I don't know if anyone had a religious experience though.

Swish
08-05-2009, 04:02 AM
Well, to be honest, this show was a bit of a bust for me. They put on a great show...So, to be honest, I was kind of bored...overall it was a really good show. The band was excellent. But, having said all that, I would definitely go to see them again.

You did more back-flips than the Flying Wallendas during their last performance. BWAHAHAHAHAHA. I did see them during 'The Crane Wife' tour and it was a top-notch show. I'd probably feel the same about your show since their latest isn't cutting it for me, at least not very much.

ForeverAutumn
08-05-2009, 05:12 AM
You did more back-flips than the Flying Wallendas during their last performance. BWAHAHAHAHAHA. I did see them during 'The Crane Wife' tour and it was a top-notch show. I'd probably feel the same about your show since their latest isn't cutting it for me, at least not very much.

There are a few really good tracks on the new disk. I love The Rake's Song. But overall, it's probably my least favourite disk of theirs.

I'm not really doing back flips here. The band was great. They just could have had a better set list for my taste. I'd like to see them again when they have made some better song choices (IMO).

Swish
08-05-2009, 06:21 PM
There are a few really good tracks on the new disk. I love The Rake's Song. But overall, it's probably my least favourite disk of theirs.

I'm not really doing back flips here. The band was great. They just could have had a better set list for my taste. I'd like to see them again when they have made some better song choices (IMO).

...Malibu Beach. Yeah, that would have been funnier. I put the F.U. in funny.

ForeverAutumn
08-05-2009, 06:33 PM
I put the F.U. in funny.

You sure do. In fact you put the F.U. in everything you do. :)

Here's a picture of the show for you.

Mr MidFi
08-06-2009, 07:32 AM
I'll be seeing both bands this weekend... and quite a few others as well. And with any luck, I'll remember more of the experience than I did last year. :3:

(If anyone knows a good anti-rain dance, please project some mojo to Grant Park in Chicago. Thanks.)

tentoze
08-14-2009, 03:41 AM
They're coming to this area in October, and I hope I'm in town to catch them. Also hope Heartless Bastards get lost between now and then- worst band I've seen in years.