71 people in the Speakers forum. WTF?! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 71 people in the Speakers forum. WTF?!

Swish
08-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Since when are speakers more important than the music? I just don't get it. Are there that many gear geeks out there? I mean besides me.

bobsticks
08-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Since when are speakers more important than the music? I just don't get it. Are there that many gear geeks out there? I mean besides me.

Well, clearly none of us are a kewl as you but i think it's wise to remember something. Most of the peeps over there aren't members or have little interest in community. Most will post less than ten times. I know a few years ago when I first came around my first google search was "Audio reviews"...guess which site pops up first?

3LB
08-03-2009, 05:26 PM
most of these posters are just fishing - they ask such well thought out questions like, "what speaker should I buy?", or "are these good speakers?". I will never buy an assembled speaker off the web. I would never again buy my own speakers anyway (I'd build them), but if I was going to buy a speaker, I'd need to hear it first.

MasterCylinder
08-04-2009, 04:58 AM
I would never again buy my own speakers anyway (I'd build them)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WOW, dude............how do you get that black paper so tight ?

3LB
08-04-2009, 06:37 AM
WOW, dude............how do you get that black paper so tight ?

I could tell you

but then I'd have to kill you

;)

Hyfi
08-04-2009, 07:34 AM
It's not surprising. This place is all but dead except for us few old timers that just won't let them hammer the final nail.

I recently joined Progressive Ears but have the opposite problem. There are so many posts and members that nobody has time to read them all let alone reply. I see something interesting and say I will go back and reply when I have time. When I finally have time and revisit, there is already 4 pages of responses.

I have also been spending time in all the other forums learning and chuckling over the "Which mass market pc of crap should I buy" threads.

In between, there is lots of good info to be had. I may be as much a gear head as a music lover, but that may come with decent gear.

ForeverAutumn
08-04-2009, 07:45 AM
I recently joined Progressive Ears but have the opposite problem. There are so many posts and members that nobody has time to read them all let alone reply. I see something interesting and say I will go back and reply when I have time. When I finally have time and revisit, there is already 4 pages of responses.

After you've read the first page of any thread at PE, the rest is just rehash for the most part. I actually find the off-topic forum there far more interesting. It seems to me that if the topic isn't somehow within 6-degrees of Yes, it ends up in off-topic. There are lots of great music discussions there.

3LB
08-04-2009, 09:25 AM
After you've read the first page of any thread at PE, the rest is just rehash for the most part. I actually find the off-topic forum there far more interesting. It seems to me that if the topic isn't somehow within 6-degrees of Yes, it ends up in off-topic. There are lots of great music discussions there.

Actually, its 6-degrees of Yes, Genesis, ELP, King Crimson or Gentle Giant

Every now and then, there'll be a good thread on different genres, even discussion on movies and whatnot. Its a private message board for the most part, Sean (the uber mod) has final say as to what stays and what goes. Sometimes he'll feature an album from Lou Reed or Sonic Youth, and some member will chime in, "this isn't prog, why isn't this in the OT forum" or "I have no idea why this album is being feature when it obviously isn't prog" and Sean will simply reply, "Its my website - eat me" (or something like that).

And there is always a good argument thread. Any thread regarding Dream Theater or The Flower Kings will degrade into an argument twix two or more members. Same with a "what is Prog" or "what's wrong with Prog" thread. Fun stuff.

We could emulate them here - just like when someone said Coldplay is a U2 clone, you responded:

"I've heard the U2 comment before. I don't get it. I like Coldplay, but I've never been a U2 fan. I don't see the connection".

If you were on PE for example, you'd have to respond thusly:

"That's complete rubbish. How anyone can make such a statement is beyond me. Perhaps a hearing check-up is in order. If you don't like Coldplay you shouldn't respond. Your spelling and grammar is atrocious. I'm putting you on my ignore list!"

ForeverAutumn
08-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Every now and then, there'll be a good thread on different genres, even discussion on movies and whatnot. Its a private message board for the most part,

What I love about PE is how something on the off-topic board can be demoted to a Private Message discussion because it's off-topic.

Isn't that the point of an off-topic forum?! :lol:

It's certainly run strangely, that's for sure.

And we complain about OT threads being moved from here to the OT forum. At least they don't get moved into PM land.

3LB
08-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Most of the threads that get moved to PM land are the ones where two or more members are making personal attacks. The one IQ thread went PM because one of the band's managers actually was posting, defending the band's position (in which the band's management sequestered the first shipment of IQ cds for sale on tour, rather than honoring their pre-release commitments). Several members gave him a good ragging. He called them cry babies. It went downhill from there.

3LB
08-04-2009, 09:52 AM
It's not surprising. This place is all but dead except for us few old timers that just won't let them hammer the final nail.

Its not time for another Heywood post is it?:10:

ForeverAutumn
08-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Most of the threads that get moved to PM land are the ones where two or more members are making personal attacks. The one IQ thread went PM because one of the band's managers actually was posting, defending the band's position (in which the band's management sequestered the first shipment of IQ cds for sale on tour, rather than honoring their pre-release commitments). Several members gave him a good ragging. He called them cry babies. It went downhill from there.

I had three threads that I was involved in go PM. Two were about pets and one was about books and summer reading. They all pretty much died as soon as they were moved. The pets ones were ready to die anyway, but the summer reading thread was interesting.

Hyfi
08-04-2009, 10:49 AM

No, not really. Nobody here knows how to properly imitate the yuckster. I had enough interaction with him to spot an impostor a mile away.

I have no idea why this place died other than the software change. You can meter the downward spiral of posting from that exact day.

Rocky Road is pretty dead most of the time too. It seems like everyone posts at PE these days.

FA- I started several OT threads over there but they were all music related. They remained intact and got plenty of response for the most part. I assumed anything that was not prog related, music or other, was OT but I do notice non prog posts in the main board.

Heck, just talking here about PE got more action than a Coldplay post :)-

3LB
08-04-2009, 12:40 PM
I assumed anything that was not prog related, music or other, was OT but I do notice non prog posts in the main board.

I think its totally subjective - whatever mood Sean finds himself in. Like I say, it is his board, but he keeps it running through donator support, so I guess some members feel they should have some say. Maybe its "certain posters" whose threads are left alone.

But not all is prog - there's always a non-prog artist or two being discussed at any given time...most recently, Thomas Dolby.

ForeverAutumn
08-04-2009, 04:19 PM
But not all is prog - there's always a non-prog artist or two being discussed at any given time...most recently, Thomas Dolby.

The Thomas Dolby thread was moved to off-topic. How long until the Beck thread gets moved, do you think? :lol:

Edit at 10:20 est. The Beck thread has been moved. This is fun. We should pick threads and start a pool.

02audionoob
08-04-2009, 05:50 PM
I rarely even notice which forum a thread is in. I just hit the link for New Posts and look at all the latest without regard to category. "Off-topic" makes no difference that way.

bobsticks
08-05-2009, 04:30 PM

Sometimes I miss Heywood...sometimes I miss me....