Hooking up Double Advents [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up Double Advents

mrspike
08-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Well now that I've ordered the parts to foam and cap my Large Advents, I've been thinking about getting another pair as there are quite a few on Craigslist in my area going for a song.
Here's my question for the pros: The tech at the speaker repair shop that was going to do the re-foam for me 'till I got his estimate told me If I stack Advents I should wire one set if tweeters out of phase. Anyone else heard of this, or tried it? Speaking of tweeters, do they ever need re-foaming or are they good for a lifetime?

hifitommy
08-01-2009, 01:11 PM
as for stacking them, i think the best bass will be if you stack then woofer to woofer and of course hook them together in parallel. the woofers will be away from the floor and sound less muddy AND they will couple and reinforce each other for deeper and tighter bass.

its best to us a big power amp on this setup. i heard a phase linear 700 driving them to great effect, and i am sure an adcom 555II or 5500 would do nicely.

JoeE SP9
08-02-2009, 08:33 AM
All the double Advent stacks I've seen were tweeter to tweeter. In some cases the lower tweeter was disconnected. Woofer to woofer probably would increase bass. I don't know which is better.

hifitommy
08-02-2009, 09:46 AM
its worth trying woof/woof. its the way i have heard the most effective implementation and disconnecting the lower tweeter isnt necessary. the advents arent the last word in soundstaging to begin with.

i did the same with my a25s (horizontally stacked, tweets to the inside) and added a dome tweeter above 10k with wonderful results. the dynas werent great at imaging either but the freq extension of the tweet was gorgeous. it also extended the lows, whether that was subjective or real it doesnt matter.