What's at the Library [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What's at the Library

atomicAdam
08-01-2009, 11:03 AM
So not be able to spend like a drunken sailor any longer, actually trying to pay off and save up for bigger better things (wifie wants braces, I want new speakers) I've taken up a new hobby of going to the Oakland Public Library, main branch, blindly grabbing CDs from the blues and jazz section and listening.

So far the experiment has been pretty interesting. I've listened to a lot of musicians I would have never picked up on my own. Some good, some bad. I've made a pact with myself that I would listen to each CD in entirety no matter how bad I think it is. This is going to be really hard when I get to the cheesy stuff, like cheesy Latin jazz. But I figure, someone thinks the music is beautiful enough to spend the time, money, and effort playing and recording, so I would at least try to find what others appreciate in the music.

So far though the best CD have been from well known/famous musicians. It is just of like, oh yeah, no wonder they are famous, it's good.

Anyone else ever try this?

02audionoob
08-01-2009, 12:00 PM
I do this at the Dallas library, so I'd be interested to know what you come up with. I do jazz, classical and the standards. I've found some good stuff that way over the years. That's how I learned about Melody Gardot and Jane Monheit.

atomicAdam
08-01-2009, 12:46 PM
well I suppose I could just start posting what I come home with and my quick opinions in this thread - seems like that is what forums are for.

3LB
08-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Lots of jazz at the library for some reason, classical too. Must be one of those clubs people got mixed up in and then just donate every bit of it to their local library. I've come acrossed some interesting CDs at the library - its how I came into Dvorak. But I haven't done a serious library crawl in some time.

nightflier
08-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Library? What's that?