Broken Stylus [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Broken Stylus

03-22-2004, 03:26 PM
Hey everyone,
I have a broken stylus. Its from a stock cart that is part of a 25 year old TT.
Most places have stopped selling them, but I found an internet site that sells it for 21 USD + applicable shipping (which they did not mention how much) + any duty I might have to pay when it comes to Canada.
You think its better to buy a new cheap cartridge or get a new needle?

markw
03-23-2004, 04:11 AM
After 25 years, it's probably time to replace the whole cartridge, particularly in light of the cost of a modern stylus alone in relation to the price of the cartridge/stylus combination.

skeptic
03-23-2004, 06:58 AM
That depends on what cartridge it is. If it's say a Shure M91ED, I'd probably replace the stylus. What kind of cartridge would you get for $21? OTOH, if you intend to upgrade, that's a different story. It's also a different story if you are using it as a DJ or have a lot of drunkard roomates you can't keep away from your sound system. Then something much more rugged is called for.

03-23-2004, 10:37 AM
I'm not sure what brand it is because it came with the TT
My dad bought it 25 years ago before I was born.
Just says Technics 270C on the front.

What's a cheap cartridge I can get? or...best bang for the buck

markw
03-24-2004, 12:06 AM
The "standard" type is mounted by two screws, set 1/2" inch apart, usually on a removable headpiece. To replace these you would remove the screws and unhook 4 wires from the cartridge itself. You then would replace the cartridge by using two screws and replacing the 4 wires in the proper order, the usual color codes are:

Red = Right Hot
Green = Right Ground
White = Left Hot
Blue (or Black) = Left Ground

Once the cartridge is mounted, you might have to rebalance the arm because not all of these cartridges weigh the same.

Grado is a pretty good cartridge and the prestiege series starts somewhere in the mid thirties and up. Check out www.audioadvisor.com or the needle doctor for these

The other is called a "P" mount. This is a more modern easy to mount type which can be determined by it's single screw, going sideways thru the rear of the cartridge. Once this single screw is removed, the entire cartridge pulls out for removal. You simply slide the new one in and replace the screw and you're in business. All "P" mount cartridges should bete same weight and relative size so it's truly a one size fits all proposition.

Check the needle doctor for these. Likewise, Radio Shack ususlly has some cartridges available at their local stores. ...or at least they used to.

03-25-2004, 04:49 PM
Hey is it ok to buy a used cartridge?
The guy claims that it has only been used a few times.

Grado silver for $100 CDN.
good deal? bad deal? I should spend less?

skeptic
03-25-2004, 07:29 PM
While I often buy used equipment, a used phonograph cartridge is something I would be very cautious about. You have no way to know how much wear and abuse it's actually seen. Personally I'd pass.

markw
03-26-2004, 03:14 AM
Some things are simply better purchased new unless you really, really know the seller. Grado is a good cartridge and you can't loose with any of 'em. Step down a model or two and go new.

Mash
03-27-2004, 10:59 PM
Hi, Digits
I have bought Grado Gold NEW for $115 and Shure V15-5 NEW for $225, so a USED Grado silver for $100 CDN does not sound like a gift. Used could be OK but for 1/2 of new price, or less. This means $57 for an excellent used Grado Gold and $112 for a used V15-5.

I trashed two Sonus Blue years back. Sheared the tip off of one and buckled the cantilever on another. A third Sonus Blue simply developed a tired suspension. That was when a Shure V15-3 cost $69.

03-27-2004, 11:32 PM
hahaha digits... thats a new one.
Mash you in canada too?
Where you get your carts for that price?
lowest price i have found so far is 79 for grado black, which is a ripoff i think

03-30-2004, 12:33 AM
So at the end I settled for a Ortofon OM10
Don't know if its any good though...45 bux cdn seemed like a good deal at the time.
Maybe I made a mistake, but thats ok...I guess...