Subwoofer connection using 18 guage speaker wire [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer connection using 18 guage speaker wire

mycatamine
07-29-2009, 07:36 PM
Hello All,

I routed 14 gauge speaker wire in my wall and ceiling to connect my receiver to a Klipsch RW-12d. I was told by a local hi-fi shop that this (speaker wire) would be acceptable as I only needed to carry the "single". How do I finish the connection with RCA connectors? Please advise.Thank you!!!

markw
07-30-2009, 04:30 AM
Actually, that should be a coaxial cable, not speaker cable.

Luvin Da Blues
07-30-2009, 05:00 AM
This sub accepts both hi and low level inputs. If you ran speaker cable then your stuck with using the hi level inputs, no RCA connectors required.

Oh, and BTW, the term is "signal" not "single".

bfalls
07-30-2009, 05:08 AM
From your email I'm guessing you were confused by what the hifi shop told you. There are two ways you can connect your sub, RCA line level connections and speaker connections. It sounds like you are trying to do both.

If you want to use the RCA connection, run an RCA cable between the sub-out on the receiver to the RCA input of the powered sub.

If this isn't convenient and you want to use the speaker level inputs, run the speaker wires to the sub and connect to the R/L input satellite speaker connections on the sub, then run speaker wires from the sub's speaker level outputs back to the satellite speakers. The sub will take the input from the receiver, filter out the mid/highs and amplify the sub frequencies.

mycatamine
07-31-2009, 05:56 AM
Thank you all for your responses!

Hi Bfalls, At the time I was planning the runs for the speakers, including the sub, I had asked the store if I could use the 14 gauge speaker wire to make the RCA connection and they said that it would be OK and all I needed to do was to solder the RCA connecters on either end. The sub run is 45' and all wiring is in wall/ceiling. Running 14 gauge (CL2) would be easier as I had 500' of 14 gauge that I had purchased and it saved me from buying a cable/wire specific to the operation of the sub. I have a SONY str da3400es and thought I could still use the sub signal from the preamp section out to sub woofer. I have a 7.1 set-up so not sure if I could run "satellite". Please advise and thank you for your response.

markw
07-31-2009, 11:46 AM
Well then, since RCA plugs aren't made to go on to that cable. you're gonna have to jury-rig them onto the ends.

Just make sure that wire you use for the center pin on one end is the same one you use on the other end.

Once you get that worked out, solder the RCA plugs onto the ends of the wire. Again, since they aren't made for this, it may be messy.

Good luck, and I hope you don't pick up any noise by not using shielded cable.

PS, Your store did you no favors here. They should have known better. Are you sure you didn't cajole them into "approving" this?

RoadRunner6
07-31-2009, 08:33 PM
Why not use this. They also have longer lengths.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2684&seq=1&format=2

JoeE SP9
08-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Thank you all for your responses!

Hi Bfalls, At the time I was planning the runs for the speakers, including the sub, I had asked the store if I could use the 14 gauge speaker wire to make the RCA connection and they said that it would be OK and all I needed to do was to solder the RCA connecters on either end. The sub run is 45' and all wiring is in wall/ceiling. Running 14 gauge (CL2) would be easier as I had 500' of 14 gauge that I had purchased and it saved me from buying a cable/wire specific to the operation of the sub. I have a SONY str da3400es and thought I could still use the sub signal from the preamp section out to sub woofer. I have a 7.1 set-up so not sure if I could run "satellite". Please advise and thank you for your response.

14 gauge wire may work. Although soldering RCA's to it will be a real pain. You could try some bulk Belden or TRS RG-6. Yes the RG is 75 Ohm but it will work just fine.

mycatamine
08-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Hello All, Sounds like the coax cable should have been installed. Now, I have another idea in resolving the dilemma of the wrong speaker wire installed and prevent ripping finished/painted drywall down. What is your opinion in going wireless: soundcast systems subcast receiver. Does anyone have experience with this receiver? This appears to be an ideal solution to my dilemma. Please advise. I know now my discussion might be more appropriate for another forum topic but would appreciate your help. Thank you all!