Stanton Phono Pre-amps? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Stanton Phono Pre-amps?

daveobieone
07-25-2009, 09:49 AM
Just wondering if one of the Stanton / Pickering insiders here could give us some inside info on the Stanton phono pre-amps.

I installed quite a lot of them in radio stations...mostly the 310b. Still have some of them. One 310 (with mods) is still in service here in my livingroom system. I had a 210 also...but don't have that one anymore.

Were those designed in-house? How did folks inside view them?

(Hope this isn't the wrong place to ask this question)

Dave O.

hifitommy
07-25-2009, 07:49 PM
try posting at: http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/bbs.html

lots of knowledgeable guys there.

emaidel
07-27-2009, 03:42 AM
As a former Stanton/ Pickering "insider," I'm afraid I can't offer you much help. I knew nothing at all about the Stanton preamp, and remember that Pickering had one in the mid 70's that sold for $19.95 - twice that of those offered at the time by either Lafayette Radio or Radio Shack. As the Pickering preamp was designed to be used by people purchasing turntables with magnetic phono cartridges that they plugged into their cheapo Panasonic 8-track "stereos," the use of low noise transistors in the Pickering preamp (the reason for its high price) was ridiculous, as its end-users would never hear the difference between the Pickering preamp and its cheaper counterparts.

It should come as no surprise that the individual at the company responsible for having the preamp made for Pickering was the same person responsible for the awful Stanton/Pickering turntables.

daveobieone
07-29-2009, 08:32 AM
Not exactly where I was going...I was refering to the pro preamps Stanton had (210, 310 and 310b)...not $19.95, more like $170. I saw (and installed) a lot of these in the 80's.

Thanks,
Dave O.