Which Behringer Feedback Destroyer Should I get? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Which Behringer Feedback Destroyer Should I get?

Worf101
07-24-2009, 06:03 AM
Thinking of getting a Behringer Feedback Destroyer to tame the humps in my sub. Which one should I get and how do I go about using ti to calibrate a sub?

Da Worfster

E-Stat
07-24-2009, 06:24 AM
Thinking of getting a Behringer Feedback Destroyer to tame the humps in my sub.
There are a couple of approaches depending upon how finely you want to correct the room. I went the cheap way and spent $100 on the FBQ-3102 31 band EQ. At the top end is the DEQ-2490 real time analyzer which offers both 31 bands of std EQ and ten parametric bands for around $240.

Which one should I get and how do I go about using ti to calibrate a sub?
I used a Radio Shack SPL meter, a tripod, a couple of Stereophile Test CDs and some bass tones (at 1 hz intervals) downloaded from the Real Traps folks. My first step was trying to optimize the sound as best I could first through placement (although I was limited in this environment), sub crossover / output and high pass setting on the HT receiver. Then I tackled the remaining peaks and valleys with the EQ. It requires patience and LOTS of experimentation to optimize all the variables. I have probably run fifty trials of bass sweeps in order to get a baseline picture and many subsequent corrections. Should I have gotten the more expensive unit? Perhaps. In any event, I got significantly smoother response with my HT using the basic unit. Contrary to the common approach of rolling off the subs at a very low frequency, I went the other way running the subs "wide open" and rolling off the monitors at 200 hz. This I did to ensure that the subs could "participate" in the correction which went up to 160 hz. Naturally, that required the use of two subs to eliminate localization issues. It did, however, extend the headroom of the small monitors (6.5" woofers) used with them.

I emphasize, however, that I run the EQ strictly on the subs ONLY. Behringer offers great bang for the buck, but their use of less than perfect $.18 op amps take their toll on the full range signal. Highly recommended. Good luck on the project!

rw

kexodusc
07-24-2009, 06:47 AM
Thinking of getting a Behringer Feedback Destroyer to tame the humps in my sub. Which one should I get and how do I go about using ti to calibrate a sub?

Da Worfster
Can't add much to what E-stat said, but any BFD model will do. Get the unit, download some test tones, grab your SPL and check back, I'm sure we'll all be willing to help out.

Here's a link to the BFD Guide page...
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/bfdguide/

Biggest band for the buck in my system, for sure. I still can't get over how neutralizing one nasty bass peak can have such a profound difference on sound quality.

Woochifer
07-24-2009, 06:09 PM

Da Worfster

Worfster! :eek: You're finally joining the BFD brigade, congrats!

Go ahead and follow the link that Kex provided and you will be on your way. It will be the best $100 you've ever spent on your system. The DSP1124 is all you really need to do the job, and Musician's Friend sells it for $100. The functions built into the higher end FBQ2496 improve the BFD's "actual" function of live audio feedback suppression, but don't add much for use as a subwoofer EQ.

Believe me, you will think that you've upgraded your sub to much higher end model after you "tame the humps." For me, it made the difference between keeping my sub and getting rid of it. Without the BFD, my room acoustics made the sub unlistenable. With the BFD, it's amazingly tight, smooth, and FULL sounding bass. Equally adept with music and movies.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
07-31-2009, 05:54 PM

Da Worfster

Is your sub turning into a camel?