PSB Imagine Ts [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : PSB Imagine Ts

ForeverAutumn
07-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Hey guys, can anyone comment on the PSB Imagine Ts? How do they compare to the PSB GT-1s?

I spent some time listening to the GT-1s last night and they were okay but didn't wow me. I'm still leaning towards the Paradigm Studio 60s. I was talking to another dealer on the phone this morning and he suggested that I listen to the Imagine series. Whereas the dealer who I've been talking to about the Paradigms was steering me away from the Imagine series.

I'm going to go listen to them later today but was wondering if anyone had any experience with them already.

Feanor
07-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Hey guys, can anyone comment on the PSB Imagine Ts? How do they compare to the PSB GT-1s?

I spent some time listening to the GT-1s last night and they were okay but didn't wow me. I'm still leaning towards the Paradigm Studio 60s. I was talking to another dealer on the phone this morning and he suggested that I listen to the Imagine series. Whereas the dealer who I've been talking to about the Paradigms was steering me away from the Imagine series.

I'm going to go listen to them later today but was wondering if anyone had any experience with them already.

Haven't heard 'em, but in principle the Imagine T is step up from the GT1, (although latter has bigger mid/bass drivers and a lower bass). Both are "two-and-a-half way" speakers. The Paradigm Studio 60 on the other hand is a true three speaker which ought to confer some advantages in principle, such as better dispersion, power handling, and possibly smoother, cleaner response -- but this isn't necessarily the case.

Remember best test is always to try the speaker in you own system in your own home. The next best thing is to listen to each speaker a the dealers in the same location and an otherwise identical system, (assuming a decent listening area there).

Hyfi
07-22-2009, 09:47 AM
Still curious as to how you are listening to these speakers you are considering. What equipment are they using and did you have them play through both a receiver and a separate system?

ForeverAutumn
07-23-2009, 05:26 AM
Still curious as to how you are listening to these speakers you are considering. What equipment are they using and did you have them play through both a receiver and a separate system?

Hey Hyfi,
I don't know what equipment they are using. What I can tell you is that when we listen to speakers to compare against each other, I make sure that the speakers are hooked up to the same system. When we compared the Studio 60s to the PSB GT-1s, the sales guy carried the GT-1s to the Paradigm room so that he could just change the connecters for head to head listening from the same set-up. I realize that one system might favour the Paradigms and another the PSBs but I just don't have the energy to get that scientific. Since we need to replace our whole system over time, we will match the system to the speakers that we end up with.

BTW, the contenders are now the Studio 60s and B&W CM-7s.

ForeverAutumn
07-23-2009, 05:28 AM
Remember best test is always to try the speaker in you own system in your own home. The next best thing is to listen to each speaker a the dealers in the same location and an otherwise identical system, (assuming a decent listening area there).

Since we'll be replacing our whole system over time, I'm not sure that testing them at home on our current system will provide much benefit.

I do believe, however, that we're going to need to move some furniture around to get the best speaker placement.

GMichael
07-23-2009, 06:57 AM
Since we'll be replacing our whole system over time, I'm not sure that testing them at home on our current system will provide much benefit.

I do believe, however, that we're going to need to move some furniture around to get the best speaker placement.

I think that what Feanor means is that the acoustics in the store will be different than in your home. Even worse is that the acoustics in one store will be different than the next.

Hyfi
07-23-2009, 07:09 AM
Hey Hyfi,
I don't know what equipment they are using. What I can tell you is that when we listen to speakers to compare against each other, I make sure that the speakers are hooked up to the same system. When we compared the Studio 60s to the PSB GT-1s, the sales guy carried the GT-1s to the Paradigm room so that he could just change the connecters for head to head listening from the same set-up. I realize that one system might favour the Paradigms and another the PSBs but I just don't have the energy to get that scientific. Since we need to replace our whole system over time, we will match the system to the speakers that we end up with.

BTW, the contenders are now the Studio 60s and B&W CM-7s.

Both of those speakers will sound great with some good gear. Make sure you listen to both for a half hour or so at a reasonably loud volume to decide which tweeter you prefer. If after a little time, one gets irritating, that may not be the one for you.

Also, zero in on the midrange items such as voice and acoustic guitar to see if they sound real and lifelike or if they are mushed together. Again, all those items can change due to front end gear.

Good luck, it's almost as daunting as buying a house.

ForeverAutumn
07-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Both of those speakers will sound great with some good gear. Make sure you listen to both for a half hour or so at a reasonably loud volume to decide which tweeter you prefer. If after a little time, one gets irritating, that may not be the one for you.

Also, zero in on the midrange items such as voice and acoustic guitar to see if they sound real and lifelike or if they are mushed together. Again, all those items can change due to front end gear.

Good luck, it's almost as daunting as buying a house.

I think that buying a house was easier. It's much easier to remember what something looked like than what something sounded like.

ForeverAutumn
07-23-2009, 08:04 AM
I think that what Feanor means is that the acoustics in the store will be different than in your home. Even worse is that the acoustics in one store will be different than the next.

Oh, yes, thanks. What makes it even more difficult is that since we are still decorating, how the speakers sound today will be different than how they will sound a year from now when we have more furniture, rugs and pictures on the walls. :confused:

GMichael
07-23-2009, 08:34 AM
Oh, yes, thanks. What makes it even more difficult is that since we are still decorating, how the speakers sound today will be different than how they will sound a year from now when we have more furniture, rugs and pictures on the walls. :confused:

Don't forget to make sure that the colous match the new furniture, rugs and pictures that are, and will be on the walls.
:ciappa:

Luvin Da Blues
07-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Don't forget to make sure that the colous match the new furniture, rugs and pictures that are, and will be on the walls.

Whatcha thinkin' GM, Paisley grill cothes?

GMichael
07-23-2009, 09:17 AM
Whatcha thinkin' GM, Paisley grill cothes?

Plaid.

ForeverAutumn
07-23-2009, 09:29 AM

We thought that these would work no matter what our colour scheme might end up being...

GMichael
07-23-2009, 09:46 AM
Nice. Throw a few rubix cubes around the room for effect and you're in.

Luvin Da Blues
07-23-2009, 11:22 AM
We thought that these would work no matter what our colour scheme might end up being...

Dems shur is SHVEET speakers.