Playing with 2 channel surround sound [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Playing with 2 channel surround sound

yogo
07-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Accidentally hooked up the hot from each front channel to a speaker.

Noticed no front center channel input ( bass, lead vocal, etc ) only left or right channel input.

Say organ from the left and guitar from the the right came through this speaker.
I put this speaker behind and was quite surprised at the surround sound I was hearing.

This is 30 years ago way before surround sound other than quad.

This sound was so good that I had this system ripped off. Twas coveted by many.
Will admit the rear speaker was two SRO 12 guitar speakers in a nice cab that sat behind the couch. Very efficient, very mid range.Robin Trower never sounded so good.
Thirty years ago but the concept remains the same as long as there is 2 channel.

Hook up front speakers normally and run a wire from each hot to your rear speaker. I've run it in in cars, at home and everywhere else, no problem. Found out later based on Dolby principles. Potential difference from the front left and right to the rears.

Whatcha think?

Feanor
07-22-2009, 06:42 AM
Accidentally hooked up the hot from each front channel to a speaker.

Noticed no front center channel input ( bass, lead vocal, etc ) only left or right channel input.

Say organ from the left and guitar from the the right came through this speaker.
I put this speaker behind and was quite surprised at the surround sound I was hearing.

This is 30 years ago way before surround sound other than quad.

This sound was so good that I had this system ripped off. Twas coveted by many.
Will admit the rear speaker was two SRO 12 guitar speakers in a nice cab that sat behind the couch. Very efficient, very mid range.Robin Trower never sounded so good.
Thirty years ago but the concept remains the same as long as there is 2 channel.

Hook up front speakers normally and run a wire from each hot to your rear speaker. I've run it in in cars, at home and everywhere else, no problem. Found out later based on Dolby principles. Potential difference from the front left and right to the rears.

Whatcha think?

Yes, I've heard of this. In fact, I tried it myself about 35 years ago: worked OK as I recall, though I didn't continue to use if for very long. I think used a variable resistor to control the rear volume.

Dynaco soon after came up with a passive device that used left/right signal phase to derive an ambience effect for a pair of rear speakers. This worked very will with most recordings. Dolby ProLogic was really just an extension of the same principle using some active components. I believe there is somebody around here, (hifitommy?), who is still using and enjoying the Dynaco device today (or until recently).