Samsung LED TV - Holy Mother of God! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Samsung LED TV - Holy Mother of God!

Hairsonfire
07-21-2009, 09:19 AM
I just picked up the Samsung UB556000 Series LED TV last Friday - I can not get over the picture quality in Blu Ray and HD Cable. I am just gobsmacked (dumfounded). I had been using an LG 62SX4d for the last four years (bulb still going strong) and was reluctant to go to a smaller size but when I saw one displaying the opening scene from "Dark Knight" in a local Best Buy I could not believe the depth and detail. Apparently it is not really an LED TV but actually an LCD that employs LCD's as the backlighting. It is not perfect as off axis viewing in less than optimal and you can detect the LEDs around the borders in very dark scenes but wow, wow, wow, wow. I guess I sound like I am marketing this product. It also has some of the most comprehensive adjustments that usuall are only accessible through the secret squirell Service Menu Codes that the tecchies use when professionally calibrating. I guess my question is after all this shameless gushing is - Are there many comparable tv's that look this good? Any comments welcome.

pixelthis
07-21-2009, 11:35 AM
There are adaptive backlights made of LED that go across the entire screen,
and cut off light from black areas, these are better than edge lit sets.
But the edge lit sets are very good.
I have seen these sets and they are a major advance, creating black levels
we havent seen in awhile, color is supposed to be better also, since they always had trouble getting all of the green out of flourescents.
I am TV poor, having bought two in the last three years or so, but if I COULD GET 500$
FOR MY vizio.....:1:

Hairsonfire
07-21-2009, 02:56 PM
I will be happy to get a grand for my LG. Movie watching is something I truly enjoy and I am more than willing to spend the dollars. I hate the idea of being so dependent on technology for entertainment but it is wonderful. Now, if the studios just get off their rear ends and start releasing movies like Gladiator and Lord of the Rings and about a gazillion other award winning movies on Bluray!

Smokey
07-21-2009, 06:45 PM
It also has some of the most comprehensive adjustments that usuall are only accessible through the secret squirell Service Menu Codes that the tecchies use when professionally calibrating.

That is what I like about Samsung LCD TVs. It give user more options to calibrate the TV. Other wise one have to buy the service manual to have more options for picture adjustment.

pixelthis
07-21-2009, 09:58 PM
That is what I like about Samsung LCD TVs. It give user more options to calibrate the TV. Other wise one have to buy the service manual to have more options for picture adjustment.

Have you broken down and bought an HDTV yet smokey?
I saw a Panny 32" at, of all places... KMART for less than 400 bucks.
I'm talkin bout Panny.
And a 37" for six c-notes.
A good time to buy now.
And when LED takes off and flouresents get discounted, an even better time to buy.:1:

Worf101
07-22-2009, 04:46 AM
I just picked up the Samsung UB556000 Series LED TV last Friday - I can not get over the picture quality in Blu Ray and HD Cable. I am just gobsmacked (dumfounded). I had been using an LG 62SX4d for the last four years (bulb still going strong) and was reluctant to go to a smaller size but when I saw one displaying the opening scene from "Dark Knight" in a local Best Buy I could not believe the depth and detail. Apparently it is not really an LED TV but actually an LCD that employs LCD's as the backlighting. It is not perfect as off axis viewing in less than optimal and you can detect the LEDs around the borders in very dark scenes but wow, wow, wow, wow. I guess I sound like I am marketing this product. It also has some of the most comprehensive adjustments that usuall are only accessible through the secret squirell Service Menu Codes that the tecchies use when professionally calibrating. I guess my question is after all this shameless gushing is - Are there many comparable tv's that look this good? Any comments welcome.
Talk about an unequivocable "gear crush". Wipe da drool up before you post again!!! LOL, No thanks loads Hair. I was wondering about this tech, couldn't find a set to look at in Best Buy so... I'll have to take your word for it. Thanks for the information and review.

Da Worfster

Hairsonfire
07-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Hey man! Thanks a lot. And, also thanks for all the helpful posts I see that you leave. I remember having an online conversation with you once about the Platinum Audio products. I think you have the, well, now I don't remember. But I have the Quatro's and they have been awesome in my music only system. Keep on keeping on Big Daddy!

Worf101
07-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Hey man! Thanks a lot. And, also thanks for all the helpful posts I see that you leave. I remember having an online conversation with you once about the Platinum Audio products. I think you have the, well, now I don't remember. But I have the Quatro's and they have been awesome in my music only system. Keep on keeping on Big Daddy!
Good to have you back posting regular I've Platinum Audio Studio 3's, 2's and ones. Don't see em around much only. Wish I had room for a dedicated 2 channel room. :nonod:

Da Worfster

Smokey
07-22-2009, 06:54 PM
Have you broken down and bought an HDTV yet smokey?
I saw a Panny 32" at, of all places... KMART for less than 400 bucks. I'm talkin bout Panny.

No, still hanging on to my regular CRT TV. If it wasn't for free cable I'm getting (Comcast forgot to disconnect me), I probably be watching a blank screen.

Some of prices on 32/37 LCD are really tempting (Sears had Proscan 37 inch LCD for underr $400), but most are 720p which in my opinion is passe. But 1080 LCD prices seem to be coming down also.

pixelthis
07-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Talk about an unequivocable "gear crush". Wipe da drool up before you post again!!! LOL, No thanks loads Hair. I was wondering about this tech, couldn't find a set to look at in Best Buy so... I'll have to take your word for it. Thanks for the information and review.

Da Worfster

Not a unreasonable reaction.
Its that good.
BUT best thang bout it, gonna put a stake through the heart of plasma for good.
Panny is gonna be making toaster ovens in that plasma factory of theirs.:1:

frahengeo
08-04-2009, 09:21 AM
I will be happy to get a grand for my LG. Movie watching is something I truly enjoy and I am more than willing to spend the dollars. I hate the idea of being so dependent on technology for entertainment but it is wonderful. Now, if the studios just get off their rear ends and start releasing movies like Gladiator and Lord of the Rings and about a gazillion other award winning movies on Bluray!

In case you weren't aware, those titles you mentioned will be coming this fall/winter. The LOTR will be the theatrical version (waiting for the extended version myself).

The Samsung LEDs do put out a gorgeous picture and it supposedly utilizes less electricity also. I've been wanting one myself, but I am waiting..

pixelthis
08-04-2009, 10:18 PM
In case you weren't aware, those titles you mentioned will be coming this fall/winter. The LOTR will be the theatrical version (waiting for the extended version myself).

The Samsung LEDs do put out a gorgeous picture and it supposedly utilizes less electricity also. I've been wanting one myself, but I am waiting..

I can live with the theater version.
Probably what will fit on a disc at this time.
The theater versions were long enough.:1:

Ed_in_Tx
08-19-2009, 06:15 AM
I have both a Sony and a Samsung LCD set, and I much prefer the picture tweaks of the Sony. Also prefer the tuner in the Sony, and even the much more detailed signal strength indicator of the Sony vs the color-coded almost cartoonish signal strength indicator of the Samsung. The Sony has user picture adjustments for White Bal R-G-B Gain and R-G-B Bias, Samsung doesn't, you have to go into the service menu to find where those are buried. Sony's tuner will let you directly enter a channel that wasn't found during a scan, Samsung tuner has to be re-scanned every time to get a new channel, which also wipes out all your deleted channels so you have to go back through and re-do all those. The Sony also has variable or fixed audio output which I use the variable out to feed a single subwoofer along with the TVs built-in speakers for most TV viewing so I don't have to run the AV receiver all day and night just to get a little bass response, the Samsung has fixed level only audio outputs.