Multi disk Blu Ray? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Multi disk Blu Ray?

Worf101
07-21-2009, 05:57 AM
Will anyone, anywhere at any time make a multi-disk Blu Ray player? I know they're biig, expensive and more complicated but it doesn't HAVE to be 5 disk, 3 disks would do quite nicely.

Da Worfster

pixelthis
07-21-2009, 11:41 AM
I dont see why not, they have made a multidisc of everything else.
The coming thing is putting Blu in computers, especially laptops.
Just about every laptop I saw yesterday had a HDMI output,
and half had BLU players, a lap with a blu drive would be very cost effective.:1:

AVMASTER
07-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Sony BDPCX960
400 disc Blu-ray changer
BD Live
internet support for cover art
MSRP $900.00 ????
release late Oct.

Worf101
07-24-2009, 04:17 AM
Sony BDPCX960
400 disc Blu-ray changer
BD Live
internet support for cover art
MSRP $900.00 ????
release late Oct.
I don't have 300 DVD's of any stripe. I don't make enough money to own 300 BluRays, Thanks for the heads up though.

Da Worfster

AVMASTER
07-24-2009, 10:49 AM
I know how you feel, the only blu-ray discs I own are demo discs from the manufacturers!

Woochifer
07-24-2009, 06:00 PM
Kinda bizarre that the first multidisc BD player would be one of Sony's 300-disc Megachangers. Then again, I get the impression that the five-disc carousel DVD players did not sell very well, since I hardly see them on display anymore.

I would guess that's because most DVDs are authored to revert back to the menu screen at the end of a disc. Even if you had five DVDs cued up, you basically remain stuck on the Disc One menu screen. And even if the carousel could advance to the next disc, you're still stuck on the menu screen until you select the play option.

Sony's Megachangers are used more for storing entire music and movie collections than for cueing up movie playlists.

N. Abstentia
07-25-2009, 06:56 AM
Are there even 300 BluRay titles in existance? :)

AVMASTER
07-25-2009, 08:13 AM
Kinda bizarre that the first multidisc BD player would be one of Sony's 300-disc Megachangers. Then again, I get the impression that the five-disc carousel DVD players did not sell very well, since I hardly see them on display anymore.

I would guess that's because most DVDs are authored to revert back to the menu screen at the end of a disc. Even if you had five DVDs cued up, you basically remain stuck on the Disc One menu screen. And even if the carousel could advance to the next disc, you're still stuck on the menu screen until you select the play option.

Sony's Megachangers are used more for storing entire music and movie collections than for cueing up movie playlists.

Sony did have a 200 disc blu-ray server which basically was a computer with a megachanger added; unfortunately it didn't do very well, cost prohibited and poor interface.Back in the day we would only use the big megachangers as storage devices before the harddrives and I-pods came around. They took up way too much space and they had a very poor interface. The DVD carousel players were sold to do double duty but that didn't work too well; seems that some customers just didn't get that it plays your CDs too! Now you got Kaleidescape, VUDU, music servers from just about everybody, and of course, I-pods

Mr Peabody
07-25-2009, 08:48 PM
From what I understand the 960 will store and play BD/DVD/CD.

And, there are definitely more than 300 BD titles. A lot of what comes out leaves me scratching my head but I guess it's maybe due to Blu being in so many countries. Either that or I'm not in tune with the normal viewer. There's a lot of Japanese animation and what I'd call movies that stretch to become a "B" movie.

pixelthis
07-25-2009, 10:48 PM

I never had that problem with my 5 disc Sony SACD/DVD player, when ever a disc finished it just went to the next.
I currently have a 300 disc changer, and the sound is quite good, if not audiophile,
and perfectly acceptable for casual listening.
One more thing about 5 disc DVD players, you never have to get up except for teh call of nature.:1: