Did Large Advents Have Different Woofer Sizes? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Did Large Advents Have Different Woofer Sizes?

mrspike
07-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Hi All
I have a set of Large Advents circa 1976. First thing I bought with my first "real" job paycheque in 1977. As you can imagine, they need a re surround. Most of the kits on the net are for the 10" Masonite ring woofer. I measured mine as closely as possible and come up with measurements of 7 1/8 in for the cone, 9in ID for the masonite ring and 10 7/8 OD for the ring. Did Advent use two different Masonite ring woofers? I don't want to wind up with the wrong kit. Thanks in advance for any replies.

basite
07-20-2009, 01:57 AM
could you post a picture?

if you're sure that they are the LARGE advent models, then the woofers are '10 inch', however, they were supposed to be, due to the mansonite ring, and the later introduced steel "bucket", the woofers were actually smaller...

if they are small advents, they are 8" woofers...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

basite
07-20-2009, 02:06 AM
this might be an interesting thread, so you're sure that you have the correct advent in mind :)

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126376

When I refoamed my new large advents, I used a kit from www.simplyspeakers.com btw, good service...

keep them spinning,
Bert.

thekid
07-20-2009, 02:36 PM
I would agree with Basite's assement. I am not aware of different masonite woofers just those with the ring and those without. My OLA's had both woofers replaced at some point with apparently some Jensen's that were designed to match Advent specs. Here is some additional info on the "other" site that you might find useful.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=212694

mrspike
07-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the replies. 10" it is. Now to order the kits so I can have my great Advent sound again. While I've got things apart do you think I should replace the caps? Is there a way to test them or is it safe to assume that 32 year old caps need replacement.
Thanks again.

JoeE SP9
07-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Replace them. After 32 years they surely need replacing.

mrspike
07-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the advice. Ordered a surround kit from Vintage AR parts and some caps from Solen in Montreal. Now I have a project for my upcoming vacation!