Wifey is becoming a citizen! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wifey is becoming a citizen!

GMichael
07-17-2009, 05:47 AM
It's been a long long, long road, but it's finally going to happen. Wifey is going to become a US citizen next Friday.
This road began way back in 2001. After years of filing paperwork, doing interviews, getting pictures and fingerprints taken, and lots of waiting, it's finally coming to an end. But it won't be an unceremonious end. Honey got a call from the INS this morning. It seems that she has been picked to give a speech on what it means to her to become an American citizen! OMG! The pore little thing is 8.759 months prego and is ready to pop at any second. It's a good thing that her best friend (a nurse) has already planned to come with us. I'll have to brush the dust off the old camcorder. It's time to make a DVD! Can't wait to see her waddle up to the mic and give her speech. Hope they have a box for her 4'7" frame to stand on or no one will be able to see her.
She's frightened as h.ll to get up there and talk, but I'm very excited about it. I told her to Google "what it means to me to become an American citizen." I'm sure she'll get so many ideas that she'll have no trouble putting something together. We'll have to go over many times before she feel comfortable with it. She is very shy and this may seem like torture to her now, but years from now she'll be proud of herself for doing it. (I'm already proud of her)

Feanor
07-17-2009, 05:58 AM
Congradulations to your wife, GM.

I'm sure she will have no problem with the speech if it comes from her heart, which doubtless it will.

ForeverAutumn
07-17-2009, 06:02 AM
GM that's fantastic news! I'm sure that you're both very happy about this, but now she'll be a citizen when little Sera is born which must make it even more special.

Public speaking can be terrifying, but there are lots of tips to help her relax. For starters, remind her that most people are afraid to speak in public. In fact, in surveys it is the number one fear...before a fear of dying! The people watching her will admire her for having the courage to do it. If her voice shakes at first, the folks listening will empathize.

Also, nobody knows what she is planning on saying. So no one will know if she makes a mistake. Just keep on talking and she'll be fine.

The best thing for her to do is to write out what she wants to say and then rehearse alone, in front of a mirror, until she is comfortable with her speaking points. Then do her speech to you. Then to a small group of friends. Then, if you have enough friends, to a larger group of friends. That will help to build her confidence before getting up in front of a large group of strangers. In fact, I often find it easier to speak in front of strangers than people I know. If I screw up, I never have to face them again!

I'm happy for you both!

bobsticks
07-17-2009, 01:30 PM
It's been a long long, long road, but it's finally going to happen...

When I read the title those were the exact words that came to mind...it has, indeed, been a long, long road. Congrats to both of you and I respect the way that y'all followed the rules and did things the right way despite the truly cumbersome system.

Sometimes good things do happen to good people.

GMichael
07-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Awww... Shucks.

Thanks guys.

Auricauricle
07-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Congratulations, GM! My wife is also from abroad, and this is a big step for sure! Is she going for US citizen only or dual citizenship? Anyway, this is big news and thank you for sharing this with us.

GMichael
07-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Congratulations, GM! My wife is also from abroad, and this is a big step for sure! Is she going for US citizen only or dual citizenship? Anyway, this is big news and thank you for sharing this with us.
She will be a US citizen only. She's very excited about it. A lot going on for us this summer.
How far along is your wife in the proccess?

Auricauricle
07-17-2009, 01:59 PM
She'll be going for dual. I'll certainly fill you in with the particulars when the time comes. Where is your fair lady from, if I may ask?

JohnMichael
07-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Congratulations to your wife and I know she is lucky to have your support. I am glad she is joining our wonderful country. We are proud to have her. You on the other hand....no, just kidding my friend. I hope you have something special planned for her.

Worf101
07-18-2009, 07:37 AM
As a veteran this is one of the things I'm proudest of and happiest to hear. When someone chooses to come here (the RIGHT way), stay and put down roots it makes me think that all the sacrifices were/are (nephew's in Iraq now) worth it. Roots are important. I welcome her and congratulate you both.

Da Worfster

Mr Peabody
07-18-2009, 05:36 PM
Auric, not many of us like our mother-in-law either but did you have to call her a broad? Well, I guess it's not the worst you could have called her.

GM, you all made it through the Bush years, why bother now? :)

Seriously, and sincerely, congradulations and well wishes for your wife. Maybe you can tell her the entire AR gang is behind her. It's like the force.

If I may ask, now that you all have suffered the process. How would you feel if the government decided to give amnesty to illegals?

markw
07-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Auric, not many of us like our mother-in-law either but did you have to call her a broad? Well, I guess it's not the worst you could have called her.

GM, you all made it through the Bush years, why bother now? :)

Seriously, and sincerely, congradulations and well wishes for your wife. Maybe you can tell her the entire AR gang is behind her. It's like the force.

If I may ask, now that you all have suffered the process. How would you feel if the government decided to give amnesty to illegals?Nothing like throwing a wet blanket on what otherwise was a great love-fest.

Start another thread if you want to turn this into a political discussion.

Mr Peabody
07-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Markw, the operative word there is "discussion". If he don't want to answer so be it, it's his choice. So go blow.

JohnMichael
07-18-2009, 06:12 PM
Markw, the operative word there is "discussion". If he don't want to answer so be it, it's his choice. So go blow.

Love the talk and the bible link. They go together.

thekid
07-19-2009, 02:21 AM
Congrats to your wife G!

If I call correctly,isn't another big event just around the corner?????

Hope all is going well in that department as well and that another new citizen will be joining the ranks in your household.

kexodusc
07-19-2009, 03:09 AM
Hey congrats GM! 2009 is shaping up to be a pretty good year for you guys. Glad to hear it.

Feanor
07-19-2009, 03:19 AM

Have you actually looked at that bible link? I have, and from my perspective it has a great deal too much condemnation of other religions, (e.g. Islam) and various Christian denominations, (Catholic, Calvinist, Jehovah's Witnesses), to have much to do with love.

But enough about that is this happy context.

JohnMichael
07-19-2009, 05:11 AM
Have you actually looked at that bible link? I have, and from my perspective it has a great deal too much condemnation of other religions, (e.g. Islam) and various Christian denominations, (Catholic, Calvinist, Jehovah's Witnesses), to have much to do with love.

But enough about that is this happy context.

Feanor I wish we had a sarcasm smilie. My words were meant to be sarcastic. I felt his post was negative in an other wise positive thread. Yes that link is offensive to me and my faith. When I return I will prune this thread leaving only the positive.

Feanor
07-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Feanor I wish we had a sarcasm smilie. My words were meant to be sarcastic. I felt his post was negative in an other wise positive thread. Yes that link is offensive to me and my faith. When I return I will prune this thread leaving only the positive.

Good idea, JM.

JohnMichael
07-20-2009, 03:16 AM
I decided not to prune. After all GM will not be that surprised by his AR family.

Auricauricle
07-20-2009, 05:17 AM
Okay, everybody: GROUP HUG!!!

(Yeah, yeah...I know...I could barf, too....Whatt're ya gonna do, eh?)

GMichael
07-20-2009, 05:50 AM
Good morning everyone. Happy Monday.

Auricauricle,
She's from the Philippines. We never considered dual. How much harder is that?

JM,
Thanks buddy. Several friends are coming with us. We'll probably all go out to dinner on the way home. Not sure if we could stand one more party at this point. We just had the baby shower Saturday. We are planning another party for after the baby day. Then another for my dad's visit with his new fiancé, then my birthday the next week. Can't we just squeeze in an extra congratulations onto one of the many cakes?

Thanks Worf,
It means a lot to us too. It was a hard road, but worth every bump.

Mr. P,
Thanks for your well wishes and support.
The government wanting to give amnesty to illegals is a pet peeve of ours. Just the thought of it, makes my wife very upset. Doesn't do much for my mood either. A while back, I started a thread on that very subject. One of the few times you'd get to see me actually pissed off. I'll try to hunt it down for you and post a link if I can.

Mark,
Thanks for coming to the rescue. It's OK though. I always joke around with Mr P. He's welcome to make any comments he wants to me. But if he says anything about Mrs GM, I'll have to call my cousin Gweedo.

Hey kid,
Yeah, several big days on the way. Thanks for the hope.

Kex,
Yeah. So far 2009 has been very good to us. (knock on my wood) Maybe that's why 2007 and 2008 had to be so rough. It makes this year that much better for us. Thanks.

Feanor,
Thanks for your input. I'm not so big on religion. In some ways it can be very good though. It helps to teach kids to be nice to each other, but it comes with too much other crap for me. Too many wars fought over who's idea of God is the "right one." It does mean a lot to wifey though.

No pruning needed. I'm happy to have everyone say anything they want.

Mr Peabody
07-20-2009, 05:57 AM
GM, did you all let the doctor tell you, girl or boy?

GMichael
07-20-2009, 06:07 AM
GM, did you all let the doctor tell you, girl or boy?

Yes we did. Her room is all pink and ready for her to show up. Now that we had the shower, we have all kinds of baby things all over the house. A crib here, a playpen there, etc etc... All that's missing is the baby.

GMichael
07-20-2009, 06:13 AM
Mr P.,

Found it http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=17112&highlight=magic

Auricauricle
07-20-2009, 06:54 AM
Not sure how much this will help, but at least look it over. As pleased as I am for anyone desirous for becoming a US citizen, I think it should proceed with respect for the person's lineage and place of origin which should be considered and maintained if so desired.

Anybody whuppin' up some lumpia?

http://www.philippineconsulate-sf.org/dualcitizenship_faq.htm

GMichael
07-20-2009, 07:03 AM

http://www.philippineconsulate-sf.org/dualcitizenship_faq.htm

OMG, those things are sooooooooooo good. But they take so much work. We make them up 100 or so at a time and freeze them.

Auricauricle
07-20-2009, 07:55 AM
Thanks, man! Now you got my mouth waterin'!

Feanor
07-20-2009, 08:04 AM

Feanor,
Thanks for your input. I'm not so big on religion. In some ways it can be very good though. It helps to teach kids to be nice to each other, but it comes with too much other crap for me. Too many wars fought over who's idea of God is the "right one." It does mean a lot to wifey though.

No pruning needed. I'm happy to have everyone say anything they want.

Now that it's soon to become an issue for you and wifey, let me say that it is up to you guys to teach the kids to be nice to each other. Don't count on religion to do; it's far too often counter productive in that regard.

Once again, congrats on all points. :16:

Mr Peabody
07-20-2009, 08:16 AM
GM, after visiting that thread and seeing what you all went through you deserve all the parties they will give you. I have a new respect for immigrants who become a citizen legally, to go through all that to become a citizen shows a person would really want it.

There were some good points and I can't think of anything to add at this point.

GMichael
07-20-2009, 08:57 AM
it is up to you guys to teach the kids to be nice to each other. . :16:

I couldn't agree more. We have several friends who have young children that seem to be completely out of control. Their parents don't even try to control them. They just let them run amuck with no rules to temper their actions. I guess they are counting on the schools to teach them how to act.:crazy:
Good luck with that.

JSE
07-20-2009, 11:35 AM

Ahhh, that's good stuff. A buddy/coworker of mine is from the philippines (sp?) and brings it over to my house when we have parties.

That and big arse fried bananas! Not so sure about the fried bananas. :confused5:

ForeverAutumn
07-20-2009, 11:37 AM

What is that?

GMichael
07-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Ahhh, that's good stuff. A buddy/coworker of mine is from the philippines (sp?) and brings it over to my house when we have parties.

That and big arse fried bananas! Not so sure about the fried bananas. :confused5:

I bet they were fried plantines.

GMichael
07-20-2009, 12:00 PM
What is that?

They are a fried egg roll. But not the type most people are used to. The wrap is very thin. Inside they are filled with eggs, ground pork, bean sprouts, carrots, string beans and a few assorted things I've forgotten.

JSE
07-20-2009, 12:33 PM
They are a fried egg roll. But not the type most people are used to. The wrap is very thin. Inside they are filled with eggs, ground pork, bean sprouts, carrots, string beans and a few assorted things I've forgotten.

I prefer to call them little rolled up bundles of heavenly goodness!

FA, get yer butt to a philippino restaurant and get some. Drive far if needed. :p

GMichael
07-20-2009, 12:42 PM
I prefer to call them little rolled up bundles of heavenly goodness!

FA, get yer butt to a philippino restaurant and get some. Drive far if needed. :p

I can not argue with this advise. :thumbsup:

CaptnJJ
07-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Auricauricle, when I saw the header I thought it was maybe one near and dear to us that was getting a citizenship!!

markw
07-20-2009, 04:43 PM
Auricauricle, when I saw the header I thought it was maybe one near and dear to us that was getting a citizenship!!So you're not too far from the truth.

GMichael
07-21-2009, 05:32 AM
Auricauricle, when I saw the header I thought it was maybe one near and dear to us that was getting a citizenship!!

It is.....:ihih:

Auricauricle
07-21-2009, 06:50 AM
Cap'n JJ! Howthehellareya???!!!

JohnMichael
07-24-2009, 02:59 AM

Mr. P gave me a red one for this comment.

Mr Peabody
07-24-2009, 04:54 AM
I had thought this thread was behind us but I lost 7 rep points in the matter of a day. Unfortunately, I don't have the mod power to see who did that or why, so I can only assume it came from all the friendlys on this thread since this is the only grief I had here in the past few days and how can a member lose that many points? So JM, either you took them without notice or 7 members got together and all post negative rep points. So with your mod power are you able to explain this? Maybe it was a system glitch and I owe you a big apology.

Feanor
07-24-2009, 05:23 AM
I had thought this thread was behind us but I lost 7 rep points in the matter of a day. Unfortunately, I don't have the mod power to see who did that or why, so I can only assume it came from all the friendlys on this thread since this is the only grief I had here in the past few days and how can a member lose that many points? So JM, either you took them without notice or 7 members got together and all post negative rep points. So with your mod power are you able to explain this? Maybe it was a system glitch and I owe you a big apology.

Mr. P, I don't know who gave you the Reds, but I know one person who didn't.

Maybe JM is to blame in the sense that he drew attention to your erstwhile link. Sorry, but that had too much ill-informed religious bias to just let pass.

markw
07-24-2009, 06:16 AM
I wonder who did that?

Auricauricle
07-24-2009, 06:48 AM
Hellifiknow who did it....Hey, if you can't play don't stay, I say!

kexodusc
07-24-2009, 07:14 AM
Yes we did. Her room is all pink and ready for her to show up. Now that we had the shower, we have all kinds of baby things all over the house. A crib here, a playpen there, etc etc... All that's missing is the baby.
Can't wait for the doctor's big "PSYCH" on his birthday :lol:

Auricauricle
07-24-2009, 07:53 AM
Gee, GM, you don't have to be so explicit, y'know...

JohnMichael
07-24-2009, 04:15 PM

First I can not edit rep points for you or me. I am able to see who gave me green or red rep. I would have more points if I could remove all the red from PSkies that he was kind to send. One person can send you negative reputaion and reduce you by seven points. The more the rep points they have the more they can help or hurt. I do not know how many points you took off of my rep because I do not pay that close of attention. You did not sign the neg points you gave me so I would not have known it was you if I was not a mod. That is my only benefit I receive regarding rep points. It was not a system glitch but a well thought out response to a negative first strike.

Mr Peabody
07-24-2009, 07:16 PM
I did not realize that a red could drop a person more than one point. I'm sorry for jumping before knowing all the facts. I'm also sorry that I thought 7 here would do that, I should have had more faith in those who are my friends. Of course, those who actually gave me the red, I'm not sorry, go blow! :) I mean that in the most kindest way.

Feanor, we are all entitled our opinion but I think if you would have taken the time to read the references you might have found the link is not off base. Regardless, it was not an audio related link and more thought should have been given before placing it here.

Kex, thank you, you are a big man, one who truly deserves his "glorious beacon of light"..

ForeverAutumn
07-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Well? How did it go on Friday? Did your wife survive her speech? I'll bet she was great and everyone loved her!

Congrats again on her new citizenship.

markw
07-27-2009, 08:23 AM
Well? How did it go on Friday? Did your wife survive her speech? I'll bet she was great and everyone loved her!

Congrats again on her new citizenship.Everbody to Mike's house for lumpias!

GMichael
07-27-2009, 08:24 AM

Congrats again on her new citizenship.

Thanks FA,

Yeah, it went great. She did a wonderful job and everybody loved it. A few people even cried. Two of the judges quoted parts of her speech several times in their own speeches.

GMichael
07-27-2009, 08:29 AM
Everbody to Mike's house for lumpias!

Hahahahaha... Works for me, but it might not be fair to put the lady of honor to work like that though.

GMichael
07-27-2009, 08:30 AM
To whoever fired the reddie at me for this thread (without signing it I may add), shame on you.

JohnMichael
07-27-2009, 08:47 AM
To whoever fired the reddie at me for this thread (without signing it I may add), shame on you.

Gmichael, his gun must be stuck on red. Join the elite crowd.

GMichael
07-27-2009, 08:59 AM

Bummer man.:shocked:

Auricauricle
07-27-2009, 09:05 AM
Who wants a beer?! (San Miguel, of course!)

Feanor
07-27-2009, 09:43 AM

Hey, me too. But in my case, I propably deserved it.

markw
07-27-2009, 10:24 AM
Who wants a beer?! (San Miguel, of course!)I had my fill of San Miguel in '69 and '70. I'l take a Guinness, though.

GMichael
07-27-2009, 10:34 AM
I had my fill of San Miguel in '69 and '70. I'l take a Guinness, though.

I don't get to drink it much these days, but Guinness does give an extra zip to my chilli.
:1: :1: :1: :1:

Auricauricle
07-27-2009, 10:45 AM
I remember drinkin' it in '81-'82. Seemed like playin' Russian Roulette: Sometimes you'd drink one and you were down and done. Then, at times, you'd go through four or five and it was like water...!

kexodusc
08-05-2009, 04:08 AM
Geez, I got a reddie in this thread too...WTF did I do?

Would the annonymous red chickleting bastard kindly show his face so we can settle this like men - by getting real drunk and taking turns breaking beer bottles over each others heads instead of resorting to drive by reddies.

Obviously this ass-clown doesn't know who he's dealing with. Not only is my name "known to all" but I have ceased to exist in the crude matter form you mortals occupy, and am now purely a being of radiant energy. After the transubstantiation I will leave this limited 3 dimensional plane of existance and ascend to a higher realm. And then I will use my powers for awesome...

JohnMichael
08-05-2009, 05:04 AM
Geez, I got a reddie in this thread too...WTF did I do?

Would the annonymous red chickleting bastard kindly show his face so we can settle this like men - by getting real drunk and taking turns breaking beer bottles over each others heads instead of resorting to drive by reddies.

Obviously this ass-clown doesn't know who he's dealing with. Not only is my name "known to all" but I have ceased to exist in the crude matter form you mortals occupy, and am now purely a being of radiant energy. After the transubstantiation I will leave this limited 3 dimensional plane of existance and ascend to a higher realm. And then I will use my powers for awesome...

No good deed goes unpunished.

kexodusc
08-05-2009, 06:32 AM
No good deed goes unpunished.
Yeah, I guess so...there really is too much hate in this world. :crazy:

bobsticks
08-05-2009, 05:16 PM
...I'm here, unkown huckleberry...

JohnMichael
08-05-2009, 06:35 PM
...I'm here, unkown huckleberry...

He is known and on his own Crusade.