Absolutely Beautiful pair of Original Marantz HD77's! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely Beautiful pair of Original Marantz HD77's!

Charlie04SiR
07-15-2009, 09:11 PM
These HD77's are unlike anything I have seen, and probably will ever see in my lifetime, or anyone else's for that matter! These literally look like the day they were new out of box! Genuine time capsules from 1976. They appear to have been "cocooned" from day one. All original foam, from the wonderfully beautiful sculpted foam grills, the original woofer surrounds, to the original Foam Vari-Q bass port damping plugs. No, and I mean NO degradation, deterioration or discoloration on any of the foam in either of these beautiful Marantz's. Absloutely incredible! I am also marveling at the "High Definition Series" badges on the upper part of the foam grills, never seen those before and the Brochure does not show that badge on any of the pics. All I can say is, wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow! :D

Feanor
07-16-2009, 07:30 AM
These HD77's are unlike anything I have seen, and probably will ever see in my lifetime, or anyone else's for that matter! These literally look like the day they were new out of box! Genuine time capsules from 1976. They appear to have been "cocooned" from day one. All original foam, from the wonderfully beautiful sculpted foam grills, the original woofer surrounds, to the original Foam Vari-Q bass port damping plugs. No, and I mean NO degradation, deterioration or discoloration on any of the foam in either of these beautiful Marantz's. Absloutely incredible! I am also marveling at the "High Definition Series" badges on the upper part of the foam grills, never seen those before and the Brochure does not show that badge on any of the pics. All I can say is, wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow! :D

They are handsome. Congrats.

Oddly maybe, one doesn't see the sculpted foam grills much if at all on current speakers. Perhaps the slim profile of most current designs doesn't really benefit. Of course the famous JBL L100 was an early, if not the first, speaker to adopt foam grills.

It remains to be seen how long the foam surrounds on the woofers will last despite their pristine appearance. With any luck, for a while, however as I understand, the degradation of foam is partly chemical not just physical, so it remains to be seen.

GMichael
07-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Nice pair..

TheHills44060
07-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Last pair of speakers i saw with a foam grill were my friend's Realistic's from 25+ years ago. They had the typical wood lattice front with fabric but they also came with a foam layer you could lay over top. Neither of us knew what the hell it was for but even as kids something told us not to destroy it.

Very nice find...definitely speakers you can dump in the corners of the room and just enjoy.

Daniel Christensen
08-19-2009, 08:48 AM
My Dad had those to. The speaker surrounds totally rotted away. I have experimented with them. Look at my YouTube videos. I blew the cone right out of one and it still works!!!!!!

bullittbob
01-04-2010, 02:00 PM
I have a pair of these but I had to have Grilles replaced with Stretched fabric 20 years ago.
The original grilles used a magnet system to hold grilles. I'm sure speakers need reconing, I just reconed my JBL XPL40's a few years ago and they were 15 years newer.

harley .guy07
01-04-2010, 05:00 PM
For the age of the speakers those look fantastic. I just hope my Paradigms look that good when they get that old.

dakatabg
01-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Take a picture without the covers!

Charlie04SiR
01-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Here's close up of one baffle with grill removed. I will say again, guys, these are ALL original in EVERY way, 100% intact.

blackraven
01-16-2010, 01:07 AM
My roommate in my freshman year of college had a pair of those speakers with a marantz receiver. Great sound, its what got me started in the audio hobby.

Kake
12-07-2012, 03:01 AM
Congratulations for the great find! I guess one reason for the disappearance of these foam grilles is they simply fade away (time spoils the stuff).

Since it's been almost impossible to find these HD77 speakers I'm doing a project to build up a pair from scratch. I have crossovers, mid ranges, one woofer and super tweeters.
I'd be grateful if anybody has idea where to find the measurements of the boxes. I'm gonna buy a replacement woofer (one) and tweeters to have everything built up. So the last missing part would be the drawing of the box.

JoeE SP9
12-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Ask Charlie to measure his!

E-Stat
12-08-2012, 06:41 AM
this story:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mMJ-0TjGADU?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" width="560" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>