2-Channel Reciever Help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 2-Channel Reciever Help

FlashGordon
07-15-2009, 06:40 AM
I need to replace my 2-Channel Family Room Receiver. I want to stay around $250 and I am trying to decide between the following two units:

Harman Kardon HK-3390 2x80W Stereo Receiver
or
Onkyo TX-8555 2x100W Stereo Receiver

Options and recommendations appreciated.

nightflier
07-15-2009, 11:10 AM
I've had a HK 3480 (the predecessor to the 3490) for a few years and while the sound is OK, there's been issues with the remote ever since I got it. I even sent it back to HK for service and they "found nothing wrong with it" and just sent it back with a second (new) remote, which also has the same problem. QC at HK isn't all that good, IMO. On the positive side, it has some cool features like speaker A/B selection from the remote, plenty of power (HK typically rates their amps rather conservatively), and sounds pretty good.

The Onkyo may be the better option, but not by much. It's a jack of all trades, master of none. I've owned many Onkyo receivers over the years and I have never had a technical problem with them. On the other hand, I don't particularly care for the sound as much, a bit less than exciting, is probably a good way to put it. Onlyo also tends to exaggerate their power ratings somewhat, so that 100w, may actually be for driving a single pair of of very efficient speakers in ideal conditions. My guess is that the HK at 20w less, will actually be able to play louder with less distortion.

And if you're going to drive difficult speakers (>6 ohm, > 89dB/w/m), then neither of these will really do. In that case, I would recommend these instead:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html (http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html)

http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-receivers/C-725BEE-Stereo-Receiver

They should be around $400 used, if you can find them (owners don't particularly want to let them go). Yes, you'll be giving up video switching, but you'll get much better sound out of the receiver.

markw
07-15-2009, 11:41 AM
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR4021/Marantz/SR4021-receiver-80W-X-2ch-stereo-with-video-switching/1.html

FlashGordon
07-15-2009, 02:01 PM
I just purchased the Marantz SR4021 receiver 80W X 2ch Stereo from Accessories4Less.

I know this unit is no longer available new, but it looked like a great deal. It comes with a one year Marantz Warranty.

I hope it lasts as long as my last receiver, it would be 20 years old on July 29th!

tigerguy
01-06-2010, 05:39 PM
FlashGorgan,
I am considering the Marantz SR-4023 from Accessories4Less. I am finding it very difficult to find any reviews on the 4023, professional or personal experience. How do you like the sound of your 4021? I am very interested to hear your thoughts.

blackraven
01-06-2010, 06:08 PM
I would go with the HK. I've read a bunch of disappointing reviews on Onkyo's 2ch receivers. HK is trying to improve their image and quality lately. Plus it has preamp outs and bass management.

FlashGordon
01-06-2010, 06:26 PM
FlashGorgan,
I am considering the Marantz SR-4023 from Accessories4Less. I am finding it very difficult to find any reviews on the 4023, professional or personal experience. How do you like the sound of your 4021? I am very interested to hear your thoughts.

I am by no means an Audiophite, but about five years ago I build a pair of Ed Frias Two-way speakers from his DYI design. When my old receiver stopped putting out one of the two channels I decided to try to replace it, and found almost everything available was 5.1 or 7.1 channel.

I posted asking about HK and Onkyo, and "markw" pointed me to the Marantz SR4021. I had never thought I would be able to afford a Marantz Receiver, and this one was just what I needed. I believe I remember the SR4023 was the replacement and an upgrade form the SR4021. I was able to pickup the SR4021 for $200 back in July.

I have been extremely happy with this receiver, and it includes a one-year factory warranty which is equal to many other companies brand new units. I could not even tell that this unit had been used, it was very well packaged and Accessories4Less was quick to ship.

I hope that helps

PS: I noticed the Accessories4Less still has a few SR4021 for $220 if you were interested.

tigerguy
01-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Thank you for your comments. I am leaning heavily towards the Marantz. Thanks again.