Need a cd player. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need a cd player.

seanolivares
07-14-2009, 09:41 PM
My cd player broke and it is difficult to find a single disc cd player. My best bet appears to be the entry level cd player from Cambridge or NAD for about $300. It is more than I want to spend right now but I will if I have no other options.

1. Can you recommend a good single disc player less expensive than those two models?

2. Can you recommend a DVD player that can function as a cd player i.e. does not need to be hooked up to a television to see the programming. Basically what I want is the direct access programming function that cd players had and inexpensive DVD players lack.

Thanks in advance.

blackraven
07-14-2009, 10:53 PM
Check out the Marantz SA5003 CDP. If you can swing $100 more look at this CDP

http://emotiva.com/erc1_feature.shtm It seems to be a steal at $399.

Also consider these oppo universal players by oppo. They are excellent DVD and Blu-Ray players and very good CD players.

The oppo 980H is a bargain at $169 and will give you very good CD play back, it will also play SACD's

http://www.oppodigital.com/

markw
07-15-2009, 03:36 AM
http://www.6ave.com/shop/SearchResults.aspx?kwd=denon 1940

shokhead
07-15-2009, 09:16 AM
Lots of good used ones on e-bay.

nightflier
07-15-2009, 10:11 AM
The OP said that one of the features he wants is programmability, something that most DVD players lack. So really, a dedicated CD player is the best option. While I wanted to also recommend the Emotiva, the truth is that I haven't heard it. Here are some second hand units that look pretty good:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1252632597&/California-Audio-Labs-icon-mk-

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1252610897&/Onkyo-DX-7555-Bargain-!

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1252163369&/Rega-Planet-

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1251931151&/NAD-C525BEE-CD-Player-for-sale

I used to have this changer, and for a changer, it's actually one of the best around, IMO:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1252649035&/Adcom-GCD-700-5-Disc-Changer

seanolivares
07-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Yeah guys. The program and edit function is the deal breaker. I double checked with Denon and Oppo just to be sure so hopefully they do.

Thanks for the replies so far.

pixelthis
07-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Just puzzled as to why you dont want a 5 disc changer.
They have come to dominate the lower end of the market, and if anything their programibility is very good.
I have a 300 disc I use for storage, but I set it to random and it will play for hours,
never the same thing twice.:1:

shokhead
07-17-2009, 05:44 AM
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/home-video/dvd-players/sony/dvp-nc555es/PRD_289339_1587crx.aspx

I just got one of these last month for under 100 bucks in perfect condition. It's a heck of a cd/DVD/SACD changer. I only got it for a cd changer.

pixelthis
07-20-2009, 12:22 AM
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/home-video/dvd-players/sony/dvp-nc555es/PRD_289339_1587crx.aspx

I just got one of these last month for under 100 bucks in perfect condition. It's a heck of a cd/DVD/SACD changer. I only got it for a cd changer.

I had that player.
Plays SACD really well, also.:1:

Flavio Dias
07-20-2009, 08:01 AM
Cambridge 740C is the answer. If you donīt need balanced outputs you donīt need the 840C. The 740C is at the same level of my Wadia. I love the sound of Cambridge.

pixelthis
07-20-2009, 10:41 PM
Cambridge 740C is the answer. If you donīt need balanced outputs you donīt need the 840C. The 740C is at the same level of my Wadia. I love the sound of Cambridge.

AN 1100$ answer.
How about the 340 for 349$?:1:

frahengeo
08-04-2009, 08:55 AM
AN 1100$ answer.
How about the 340 for 349$?:1:

I feel obliged to at least offer other options that are above your budget.

The $999.00 option: Denon DVD-5910CI. (Its one of the best DVD players out there and a great CD, SACD player as well. Besides the price, its size may be a downside to some. Its ~40 lbs and about the size of most mid-line receivers.

The $749.00 option: Denon DVD-3930CI

or

An Oppo player.

Hyfi
08-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Just puzzled as to why you dont want a 5 disc changer.
They have come to dominate the lower end of the market, and if anything their programibility is very good.

Yeah but you give up too much to have a cheap changer. I have seen people go thru changers like underwear. A $300 single CDP will almost always outperform a $300 changer. You have to give up something to get a big flimsy drawer and changer mechanism and where do you think they will skimp out to give it to you.

I doubt I will ever own a changer.

RGA
08-04-2009, 11:16 AM
The 300 disc mega changers are built - where it counts - quite fine - the Sony CDP 355 is quite fine.

The reality is that $300 single disc players are not that great - it's not like you're getting superior transport mechanisms or superior DA conversion. A Sony 300 Disc player or their 400 disc DVD/CD/SACD player are within and under your budget.

They also have a digital output so that you can add an external DA converter should you wish to upgrade. The 300 disc players sonically hang with any single disc players I have heard in the $500 - $800 range.

The fact is CD player differences are not that great - most of them use the same limited DA converter circuits cheap power supplies, and low grade transports. When you get up into the Philips pro L1210 transports used in the Bryston BCD 1 or Audio Note or Sim Audio then it begins to make any kind of difference and all of these are int he $2k+ range.

And even there it can be argued that it's more about sturdy build than sonics.

And if we're talking about big and heavy being a support to the player then a fully loaded 300 or 400 disc player is not going to succumb to vibration :-)

And hey the Sony doesn't sound that bad - it's not the most exciting player or "alive" but it's not irritating either. I think they go for under $200.

atomicAdam
08-04-2009, 02:01 PM
What about CD players by style or sound?

What are some of the best:

Flat Response CD Players
Warm Sounding Players
Players that are great for Classic/Jazz/Acoustic
Players for Rock/Techno/Electronic/
Or Player for Blues/R&B

Best all around player.

I'm going to be in the market soon myself. I have two at home right now. A Sony PS1 and Toshiba DVD/SACD/CD player.

The PS1 is great on most blues and jazz CDs I have because it rolls of the highs and really have a warm sound. It gets a little muddy in the lows though, probably not helped by my set up. The Toshiba has very good sound stage and a much great freq response range, but it can sound tinny or harsh on some CD.

pixelthis
08-04-2009, 10:40 PM
The 300 disc mega changers are built - where it counts - quite fine - the Sony CDP 355 is quite fine.

The reality is that $300 single disc players are not that great - it's not like you're getting superior transport mechanisms or superior DA conversion. A Sony 300 Disc player or their 400 disc DVD/CD/SACD player are within and under your budget.

They also have a digital output so that you can add an external DA converter should you wish to upgrade. The 300 disc players sonically hang with any single disc players I have heard in the $500 - $800 range.

The fact is CD player differences are not that great - most of them use the same limited DA converter circuits cheap power supplies, and low grade transports. When you get up into the Philips pro L1210 transports used in the Bryston BCD 1 or Audio Note or Sim Audio then it begins to make any kind of difference and all of these are int he $2k+ range.

And even there it can be argued that it's more about sturdy build than sonics.

And if we're talking about big and heavy being a support to the player then a fully loaded 300 or 400 disc player is not going to succumb to vibration :-)

And hey the Sony doesn't sound that bad - it's not the most exciting player or "alive" but it's not irritating either. I think they go for under $200.

What you say has been my general experience.
My Sony has never so much as burped, works great , and since I use the optical out
its mostly a transport, although I now mostly use the computer and a higher grade DVD player, and mostly use the Sony 300 disc for storage, something it excels at.:1:

VintageTurntable
08-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Try ebay for a Kenwood single disc CD player Kenwood is one of the best brands

Luvin Da Blues
08-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Try ebay for a Kenwood single disc CD player Kenwood is one of the best brands

OK then.

sachs
10-10-2009, 07:57 AM
This precise one and all the others NAD in the local store here in Santiago, Chile, cannot play tracked continuous music (opera, for example), randomly stopping for an instant, between some track to track transitions. I will return mine moving towards Rotel CD06 that seems to be a real good issue at just the double of NAD price. Greetings and good choice...

My cd player broke and it is difficult to find a single disc cd player. My best bet appears to be the entry level cd player from Cambridge or NAD for about $300. It is more than I want to spend right now but I will if I have no other options.

1. Can you recommend a good single disc player less expensive than those two models?

2. Can you recommend a DVD player that can function as a cd player i.e. does not need to be hooked up to a television to see the programming. Basically what I want is the direct access programming function that cd players had and inexpensive DVD players lack.

Thanks in advance.

hifitommy
10-10-2009, 09:51 AM
is many times very good at regular CDs. i started my sacd experience with a budget priced sony ns500v ($300+ at list, $169 delivered) and was stunned at the sound of rbcd on this player. the ns500v was discontinued by the time i got it though i cant see why except that is how that business is run, new models sell better in their eyes. subsequently i read that it was because of the upsampling feature and i am inclined to believe that.

i wanted dvda capability so i also got a marantz 6001 and that also sounds good on sll three formats. the marantz is available at music direct for $249 these days. that they both play dvd is a bonus.

my rbcd collection became more valuable with this higher level of sound.

poppachubby
10-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Rotel RCD-971 is killer and should fit into your budget.