JM Labs Micron Carat [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : JM Labs Micron Carat

Geoffcin
07-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Hi Guys,

Bought my first pair of box speakers in a long time. I got tired of my computer setup and decided to try something new. I've always been impressed by quality small monitors, My favorite being the ProAc's and the Totem Rainmakers. However, an opportunity presented itself and I took it. I watch Ebay on a regular basis, and a speaker, the JM Labs Micron Carat, was being sold in my area. Only on other person bid so I absolutely STOLE these speakers on Ebay!

I just had them hand delivered and they do not disappoint. The thing that attracted them to me was the Tioxd tweeter. Similar to what you would find in a Wilson Watt, this tweeter is sweet, FLAT, and because of it's inverted dome topology, disperses in a near perfect and WIDE stage. (reminiscent of the old EPI inverted domes) The small 5.25" woofers play like a 7" units because of the dual voice coil design, although this does drop the impedance into the 4 ohm range. The bass is tight and well behaved, if not of the depth of the Rain Makers. However they are FLATTER across the lower band than the Rain Makers, and as such will blend with a sub that much better. Right now I'm playing them full range and enjoying hearing things that my old Cambridge Soundworks 211d system didn't show me. Right now I'm driving them with a modest Music Hall a25.2 amp. They synergy of this pair is forward, punchy, and tight. I might not be able to wake the dead with this combo, but I'm sure I could set their bones dancing! Oh no, now with great weather outside, I want to spend my time in front of the computer?!

kexodusc
07-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Nice find, ol' chap. Glad to see you're alive and, hopefully, well.

I haven't heard this particular model but if they are meeting and exceeding the Rain Makers performance for a small monitor than you are well served.

Got any pics?

Geoffcin
07-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Nice find, ol' chap. Glad to see you're alive and, hopefully, well.

I haven't heard this particular model but if they are meeting and exceeding the Rain Makers performance for a small monitor than you are well served.

Got any pics?

Hi Kexo, Thanks! Yeah, I've been AWOL on Audioreview ever since my buddy Eric left.

As to the JM Labs Carats, they do NOT exceed the Rain Makers. However they are of the same cloth. The Rain Makers would make a better stand alone speaker (especially of you had 200 watts or so to throw at them). The Carats excel at not nailing you with high frequency at 3- 4 ft. Blame the invert dome for that. Most speakers are designed to be heard from 6ft+, so as a computer speaker they would have to be attenuated and exactly on center to sound good. These Carats seem a bit more forgiving. Also the Rain Makers would boom at this distance, they have a big 80hz hump. Great to fill a room with bass, bad from 3-4 feet.

Really the Carats are like open-air headphones from 4 feet. Quite remarkable, and very similar to what I got from some mega-buck Genelec monitors I listened to.

http://f.hatena.ne.jp/images/fotolife/g/gun_s80/20080918/20080918205100.jpg

kexodusc
07-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Very nice, I like the 45 degree chamfer, I do that to my baffles just to be different (and because sanding a round-over is a pain).

Got a little sub for them?

Geoffcin
07-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Kexo, I think you would like the way these are built. looks like 1" MDF with the front baffle being miter jointed. I think the Totems are made better though, (especially the finish) but these are pretty good.

I'm going to post a pic of the computer setup soon. Still enjoying them as a stand alone right now, can't wait to pair them with a sub! (The Music Hall amp has a pre-amp/sub-out).