So what would you buy wth unlimited budget... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So what would you buy wth unlimited budget...

Swish
07-10-2009, 12:47 PM
...in HDTV right now? We're moving soon and I'm selling my somewhat old 67" rear projection Toshiba that was in our smallish HT room. I'm looking for something in the 42-45" range and I just haven't kept up with the most recent technology. Do I go with DLP or plasma? What brand, etc?

I guess I shouldn't say my budget is unlimited, but I can be flexible if it's worth it. This will not be in my future HT room but our living room, so there will be times with daylight in the room, so that needs to be considered I suppose.

Regards,
Swish

elapsed
07-10-2009, 01:46 PM
If it were me I would have my eyes on a Samsung Series 8 LCD set. 46" 1080p, LED backlighting, 240Hz, 5,000,000:1 dynamic contrast, 4 x HDMI 1.3, only 1.2" deep, energy efficient, retails for around $2,700. Pricey as you're paying for new technology, but man oh man are these beautiful.

As for plasma, great picture and the price is right, however the technology is quickly disappearing and being replaced by LCD. Fujitsu/Hitachi and NEC/Pioneer backed out of the market this past year, only Samsung and LG really remain. This topic is highly debated on this forum, so I'm not intending to start a flamewar on LCD vs plasma, however there is no question that the future for plasma is grim regardless of the better technology

cheers,
elapsed

Jack in Wilmington
07-10-2009, 03:01 PM
The Samsung is probably a good set, but I think it's sort of over kill for what won't be your primary set. You can pick up a very nice 46" Panasonic plasma for half that price and be quite satisfied.

moves
07-10-2009, 03:19 PM
projectorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Mr Peabody
07-10-2009, 08:09 PM
In general picture quality still goes to Plasma. I would have loved to get a Pioneer before they all disappeared. LCD is improving but still has some PQ short comings, however, it gets the nod if the set will be used for gaming or in circumstances where the room gets bright light. DLP is still a viable option but some don't like having to replace the bulb and still not as thin as the other two. I'm not totally up on the latest TV info either, I believe they are using LED in DLP that may have done away with the bulb.

pixelthis
07-10-2009, 08:10 PM
...in HDTV right now? We're moving soon and I'm selling my somewhat old 67" rear projection Toshiba that was in our smallish HT room. I'm looking for something in the 42-45" range and I just haven't kept up with the most recent technology. Do I go with DLP or plasma? What brand, etc?

I guess I shouldn't say my budget is unlimited, but I can be flexible if it's worth it. This will not be in my future HT room but our living room, so there will be times with daylight in the room, so that needs to be considered I suppose.

Regards,
Swish

An LCD with LED backlight is the way to go.
I saw a Sharp, only 1" and 1/2 thick, with the best black level I have seen since the demise of tubes.
If its real estate you want the best bargain is DLP

westcott
07-11-2009, 06:44 AM
In general picture quality still goes to Plasma. I would have loved to get a Pioneer before they all disappeared. LCD is improving but still has some PQ short comings, however, it gets the nod if the set will be used for gaming or in circumstances where the room gets bright light. DLP is still a viable option but some don't like having to replace the bulb and still not as thin as the other two. I'm not totally up on the latest TV info either, I believe they are using LED in DLP that may have done away with the bulb.

I agree. Plasma is the way to go unless you really need that little extra brightness from an LCD. A Panasonic or Samsung would be my first choice. I have seen 50" Panasonic Plasmas at Best Buy for US$900. Won't be 1080i/p but it is argueable you could tell much of a difference, if any at normal seating distances with a display of this size. Compare yourself although be warned, you wont find many 720p on display. Everyone preferes to sell the 1080 displays.

P.S. If money is not a concern, go front projection (Panasonic AE3000) and deck out your viewing area with quality light control.

Swish
07-11-2009, 09:51 AM
If it were me I would have my eyes on a Samsung Series 8 LCD set. 46" 1080p, LED backlighting, 240Hz, 5,000,000:1 dynamic contrast, 4 x HDMI 1.3, only 1.2" deep, energy efficient, retails for around $2,700. Pricey as you're paying for new technology, but man oh man are these beautiful.

As for plasma, great picture and the price is right, however the technology is quickly disappearing and being replaced by LCD. Fujitsu/Hitachi and NEC/Pioneer backed out of the market this past year, only Samsung and LG really remain. This topic is highly debated on this forum, so I'm not intending to start a flamewar on LCD vs plasma, however there is no question that the future for plasma is grim regardless of the better technology

cheers,
elapsed

But $2700 smackers! Yikes! Just kidding. I know they get pricey, so thanks for the input. I would really have to think about spending that much for a living room TV.

Swish
07-11-2009, 10:03 AM
First of all, my new HT room will have a projector without a doubt, but we are going to be renting for a year before we buy again. Our house sold in 1 day and we have to be out by the end of July, so there was no time to find a home that will be our residence for years to come. Secondly, I think I'm going to go with a plasma and try to keep it in the $1500 range and save some money for now. If I can get a few years out of it, then get an organic LED once the product life cycle has brought the price down from the sky. :smile5: How cool would a flexible screen be? Fold the sucker up and take it along on vacation. Ha!

Best regards gentlemen.

bobsticks
07-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Hey Swishy, congrats at making outta the confines of Rave Recs. That musta been a bite in the ass...

I think you have to ask yourself a question: Am I going to go hi-def? Meaning, are you going to do the hi-def cable thing and embrace Blu-Ray?

I guess I would be considered a former plasma guy...played around with a Pioneer for years. Recently I replaced it with a Sony Bravia series LCD and I'm very happy but there are a few things to consider. I plan on integrating my computer into the setup, plus I'm definetely a music-first character. The Sony does a superlative job on hi-def material but I'd actually give the edge in PQ to plasma on low rez sources.

I agree that plasma has an overall edge in picture quality but, as has been said, LCD has made some strides as a whole and the Sony specifically did enough things right for my decidedly non-videophile self...

blackraven
07-11-2009, 07:40 PM
If your living room is going to be bright then by all means get an LCD because they reflect very little light. Most Plasma TV's have a high glare screen and the reflections will drive you crazy.

I favor Sony XBR's. I like Samsung as well but many of the higher end Samsung LCD's also use a high glare screen.

Swish
07-12-2009, 01:40 PM
If your living room is going to be bright then by all means get an LCD because they reflect very little light. Most Plasma TV's have a high glare screen and the reflections will drive you crazy.

I favor Sony XBR's. I like Samsung as well but many of the higher end Samsung LCD's also use a high glare screen.

...there would be some bright light. What I really meant to say is that it would be in a typical living room so there would be some sunshine at times, although I don't often watch TV during the day. I just won't have the controlled environment like I do with my current HT room. Again, thanks for the comments and opinion as I will consider each of them before making a decision.

zepman1
07-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Really depends how much you want to spend, you say unlimited and then back off from that a bit.

In a light controlled environment (pull shades during day?) I would go with a plasma, either Samsung or Panasonic for best picture quality. If there is ambient lighting that is an issue, LCD with LED backlighting would be the way to go but this won't come cheaply ($2500?). Sony or Samsung make great LED backlit tv's. If that was prohibitively expensive the choices get tougher when light is an issue.

With DLP you can get a big screen, and very good picture for the money, but they take up a lot of space. Not an option if you want it up on the wall.

BadAssJazz
07-13-2009, 08:15 AM
Oh man!!! I read the topic and I thought you truly meant "unlimited budget." With that I was going to suggest combining a state of the art multiplex + Hooters girls to bring the snacks + Vegas Showgirls in lieu of previews + Playboy Mansion-type grotto...although the splashing around might be annoying to some = the best home theater experience ever!!!

Mr Peabody
07-13-2009, 03:28 PM
BAJ, I wish you had saw my SVS thread. How do you like yours and did you compare it to anything else? I just pulled the trigger on a PC13 Ultra. I really hated to pay shipping on that thing. I was teettering between the 12 Plus and the 13 Ultra but I've got a double wide door in back of room that empties into another good size room so I think they were steering me toward the 13 to be sure I was impressed. I hope I am, I've got high expectations from all I've read and heard. I was satisfied with my SPL1200 and supposedly either SVS I was looking at was superior by a good margin.

Mr Peabody
07-13-2009, 09:19 PM
Costco is running a Samsung 1080p 40" at $799.00 with coupon.

Oh, and purchase of a 75 lb. barrel of tuna. :)

Swish
07-19-2009, 10:28 AM
.....50" Panasonic plasma that set me back $1299. The model number is TC-50PS14 and it's from their 2009 lineup. I checked out a big bunch at Best Buy before making my decision, and I just couldn't see spending another $700-800 for LCD. The picture on this think is beautiful and will serve me well for years to come I believe. It's 1080p, of course, with 600Hx sub-field drive, and a 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio.

I think I did pretty well and your advice and comments really helped me make an informed decision.

Thanks again dudes.

Mr Peabody
07-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Thanks Swish, for sharing your decision, enjoy.

Swish
07-19-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks Swish, for sharing your decision, enjoy.

I would never ask for advice and have everyone taking time to write and then just walk away. That would would be just plain rude and I'm sure I would get a tepid response in the future if I asked for help with something.

As for spending more $, I have to ship my Rotel RSP 1098 to the factory for the HDMI upgrade now that I'm getting rid of my old rear production HDTV. They will also update all the softward and the $300 cost seems reasonable. A friend of mine just paid $500 to have this done on his Denon processor, so I'm not getting hurt so much.

I may need to buy a new 2 channel amp as my older Adcom just doesn't cut it with my new Studio 100s. I'll have to think about that one though. Maybe I should just wait until I build out my HT room to do that.

Thanks again all,
Swish

zepman1
07-20-2009, 05:17 AM
.....50" Panasonic plasma that set me back $1299. The model number is TC-50PS14 and it's from their 2009 lineup. I checked out a big bunch at Best Buy before making my decision, and I just couldn't see spending another $700-800 for LCD. The picture on this think is beautiful and will serve me well for years to come I believe. It's 1080p, of course, with 600Hx sub-field drive, and a 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio.

I think I did pretty well and your advice and comments really helped me make an informed decision.

Thanks again dudes.

Good choice. I was deciding between this model and a Samsung B550. Got the Samsung because I preferred its color accuracy and more advanced picture options, but Panny is known for deeper blacks and better screens. So hard to compare in the store though. Always a trade off, but I really liked both of these sets.