Home Theater power any good [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Home Theater power any good

madmax123
07-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Any one see this power conditioner at compusa APC H10 AV 1000VA H Type Power Regulator - 120V on sale for $100.00 Is it worth it? Its on there web site and I also have a store near me. Just wondering if its a good deal?

pixelthis
07-10-2009, 08:11 PM
No.:1:

westcott
07-11-2009, 06:39 AM
No.:1:

I agree. Most quailty home theater equipment come with pretty good self regulating power supplies. No sense wasting your money on an external one.

I would suggest taking that money and investing in a quality surge protector with good insurance. I am a big fan of Tripp Lite and have not had a component struck in the 20+ years I have used them. I have them on all my equipment, including my refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, and microwave (seems everything now a days has electronics to get zapped).

pixelthis
07-11-2009, 10:14 PM
IThe best thing you can do is get a qualified electrician to come out and check out your HT room, and while hes' at it get an estimate on getting its own circuit breaker ,
or maybe even its own box.
Some stand-alone amps require your circuits to be able to handle a lot of current, for example.
Most modern electronics are very efficient (save plasma tv sets) but their drain adds up,
you need a decent electrical power supply, instead of wasting the money
on Hoodoo like a "power conditioner".
A lot of audio/HT nuts (myself included) would rather spend the money on gear,
but all of the links in the chain need to be looked at.:1:

westcott
07-12-2009, 08:45 AM
A lot of audio/HT nuts (myself included) would rather spend the money on gear,
but all of the links in the chain need to be looked at.:1:

Good advice. That is why my subwoofer is on a separate circuit. You really do need to look at your system as a whole and plan accordingly.