11,013 hours on original lamp: Time to replace? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 11,013 hours on original lamp: Time to replace?

jamison162
07-09-2009, 07:44 AM
I have a 60" Sony LCD RP. Model KDF-60WF655. It still has the original lamp/bulb assembly. I purchased this tv new back in 2005. The lamp timer reads 11,013 hrs and the on/off cycles 5,627.

The picture still looks good but not as good as it was new. I have noticed my HD channels look good but they don't "pop" like I once noticed.

Do bulbs degrade over time or is it either "working or not". Should I replace at this time...a new original lamp assembly is only $149. I also just bought a Panny Blu-Ray and wan't to take full advantage of my setup.

Lastly, I have been having issues with a bluish/purple looking area all over the screen. I have found out there was a recall on the light engine by Sony but it has expired. I've also read this could be anything from dust, melted LCD panels, optical engine problem....but wonder if a new bulb would address this.

Any advice?

Edit: With 11,000 hrs, I obviously want to use the same brand of bulb but some sources say the OEM is Phillips while others say they are Osram. Is there anyway I can remove the housing to see for sure?

noddin0ff
07-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Disclaimer: I obviously spend several hours per day in useless activities such as calculating these numbers. I don't know anything about bulbs. Just goofing around.

Congratulations! You're above average!

So...If we assume that you personally watched half of those hours on your bulb, and you're male, you watch 126% more TV than the national average based on 2008 numbers.

You owned TV for 4 years. 11013 hours/4 years = 458 days total watching.

11013hours/(365days/yearx4years) = 7.5 hours per day

In 2008, the average male (over 15) watched 2.77 hours television.
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/atus.t01.htm

If you watched half of the hours (7.5/2=3.5) then 3.5/2.77 X 100 = 126%

This is actually a pretty interesting read if you're into these things...
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/atus.nr0.htm

jamison162
07-09-2009, 10:46 AM
My wife stays home during the day and I'm sure the TV is on a lot. With a daycare, lots of kids programming as well. I actually don't watch much tv. But I do fall asleep on the couch and so from 10-12 sometime 2am the tv will be on, hahahahaha.