Latest DT Covers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Latest DT Covers

MasterCylinder
07-09-2009, 04:36 AM
The new BCSL offering from Dream Theater has 6 covers on disc # 2 of the special edition. To those of you that have become familiar with these songs and the DT arrangements, which are the standouts in your opinion ???
When I got the new release and read which songs were covered, I was convinced the Crimson would be the best one............I was wrong...........the two that jump out at me are the Zebra and the Dregs tunes.............both really well done.

Mr Peabody
07-09-2009, 05:23 AM
I don't have it yet, only heard samples and from that bit I wasn't impressed with the Rainbow cover. I missed the Zebra is it off the first album? I'm only aware they have two.

ForeverAutumn
07-09-2009, 05:39 AM
I haven't listened to the covers disk yet. I'm still totally enamoured with BCSL and haven't pulled it out of the player yet. This is a great album.

Which tune is the Zebra tune? I'd never heard of Zebra until about a week ago when it was recommended to me on PE in a thread about Triumph. Now I want to check them out.

kexodusc
07-09-2009, 06:31 AM
My favs are the Zebra and King Crimson tunes, I don't like the Rainbow cover much because I didn't like that song in its original form. The Queen song, meh. The Iron Maiden song is done well. The Dregs tune is good too.

MasterCylinder
07-09-2009, 08:20 AM
I don't have it yet, only heard samples and from that bit I wasn't impressed with the Rainbow cover. I missed the Zebra is it off the first album? I'm only aware they have two.

TAKE YOUR FINGERS FROM MY HAIR

3LB
07-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Zebra's music and lead singer should lend themselves well to DT/LaBrie, though I coulda thought of four or five other of Zebra's songs they coulda done instead. I guess Take Your Fingers From My Hairs is kinda proggy in structure.

If LaBrie's style of singing doesn't bug you, then Randy Jackson (no, not that Randy Jackson...or that Randy Jackson) should be OK. He was of the high pitched wail school of singing ala young Robert Plant or Geddy Lee, and Zebra was definitely a melodic metal band. They had a big hit in the early '80s with Who's Behind The Door and the video was also rather popular. They only had three albums that I know of, and I only own the first one on CD (had the second on tape)...I may have to whip it out now (the CD) and play it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKpVw458q6s

I don't think this is the official video but it ain't bad

I might add - I like Zebra way better than I do Triumph

Finch Platte
07-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Any chance we could open a Dream Theater forum?

plsthnx.

MasterCylinder
07-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Zebra's music and lead singer should lend themselves well to DT/LaBrie

LaBrie does a good job on the ZEBRA...........big range..........Petrucci / Myung / Portnoy make this song rock.
I assume since Rudess played with the DREGS foe a while, he was the one that suggested the Morse tune............Rudess smokes on this one.

MasterCylinder
07-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Any chance we could open a Dream Theater forum?

plsthnx.

Let's not........................................but if you have anything good to say about the DREGS or ZEBRA, then please chime in.

Mr Peabody
07-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Hey, don't go dissing the Triumph. They started to be not so consistent toward the end but they have several great albums, Just A Game, Allied Forces, Progressions Of Power..... you kids better back up :) I've got all of these bought as new releases on vinyl from when they were originally released.

Kex, I also really like that original Rainbow song. Do you not like any Rainbow? I got that Therion in today and gave it a spin. I don't see how you can like them so much and say Sirenia is boring. I like the Therion because I'm into that chorus thing but Sirenia certainly rocks more and has a heavier sound. But it's only one album and I will eventually try more.

My next order should have this DT album so I can get on the same page.

kexodusc
07-10-2009, 03:33 AM
Hey, don't go dissing the Triumph. They started to be not so consistent toward the end but they have several great albums, Just A Game, Allied Forces, Progressions Of Power..... you kids better back up :) I've got all of these bought as new releases on vinyl from when they were originally released.

Kex, I also really like that original Rainbow song. Do you not like any Rainbow? I got that Therion in today and gave it a spin. I don't see how you can like them so much and say Sirenia is boring. I like the Therion because I'm into that chorus thing but Sirenia certainly rocks more and has a heavier sound. But it's only one album and I will eventually try more.

My next order should have this DT album so I can get on the same page.
Rainbow's ok. Just not a big fan of Stargazer.

Therion - started listening to them over 12 years ago I think...and a slew of other similar bands from over there...by the time I discovered Sirenia my points of reference were different maybe. Nothing new to me. Maybe I'll give them another listen.