Polk Audio LSi25 vs Klipsch RF-83 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Polk Audio LSi25 vs Klipsch RF-83

Beta
07-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Which would you recommend to one who prefers a "brighter" or "crisper" sound? I realize speaker sound preference is subjective. Therefore, consider this is a "generally speaking" type of question.

Just trying to obtain some unbiased opinions in an effort to further narrow in on a purchase.

Power source is a Parasound Halo A-21 250 watt 2 channel amp and Parasound Halo P-3 pre amp.

Thanks in advance.

Mr Peabody
07-09-2009, 05:19 AM
If you want bright and crisp you described Klipsch. However, it's been my experience that they tend to distort with good clean power like you have. I auditioned a pair of Klipsch towers in my home and hooked them to a Krell integrated and they sounded like hell at high volume. Despite the power rating the horns became just a mass of loud noise. If any access I'd suggest giving Paradigm a listen. Of course, Klipsch get loud with out much power so you don't necessarily have to use all you have :) With that system if you had the budget the Dynaudio Excite series would be a good option. They are extended in the high end but I wouldn't say overly bright, they still have a nice balance including great bass response and good detail. I haven't heard them but some here have described Monitor Audio as having an emphasis in the highs. From what you've said I don't think Polk is your speaker.

nightflier
07-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Not to take anything away from Mr.P.'s very complete post, but the LSi15 is a very detailed and over-achieving speaker. Not necessarily bright, but one heck of a performer. I would rate it much higher than the Klipsch and it can handle all that power easily. I think they would be a very good match for the Parasound amp.

audio amateur
07-09-2009, 12:43 PM
I'll second the Polks

Beta
07-09-2009, 12:45 PM
This kind of feedback is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you so much.

By the way, I should have articlated in my original post that I am currently using a pair of Polk Audio RT2000i speakers.

No offense to Polk fans, but I have always regretted my purchase of the RT2000i's. I fully realize that speaker sound preference is subjective. However, I find my Polks to be way too heavy on the base. The highs, to my ears, sorley lack "crispness" and seem to be "muted".

Would if be a safe assumtion that my ears would experience the same with the LSi25?

Lastly, I am open to any brand. I do like Klipsch, but do not want to purchase speakers whose sound might fall apart at higher levels.

Thanks again for your thoughts......

nightflier
07-09-2009, 02:50 PM
I've owned several Polks over the years, and the LSi15 (as well as the other LSi models) are a significant improvement over the rest.

BallinWithNash
07-09-2009, 02:59 PM
I have owned some Polks and I would have to favor the Polk's to. haha ... but Dynaudio is still a much better speaker but a bit more expensive haha