Anyone hear the new Wilco yet? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear the new Wilco yet?

3LB
07-08-2009, 01:56 PM
I heard a couple of tracks. I went down to the sacred store, where I'd heard the music play before, and they had a promo copy playing. Similar to the last one. One song in particular, a rather upbeat melody (not upbeat lyrics) reminded me of a George Harrison tune, what with its wha-wha guitar effect...pretty cool.

Slosh
07-08-2009, 03:38 PM
It's excellent. Every song is good (although it doesn't have much experimental aspects to it; not a problem for me when the song writing is this exceptional). Way more upbeat than their last. Get it! My album of the year thus far, and by a wide margin.

3LB
07-08-2009, 06:09 PM
What about the new Son Volt?

Slosh
07-08-2009, 11:35 PM
What about the new Son Volt?Kinda average IMO. I mean there isn't anything here to differentiate it from their other albums. Stuck in a rut in an AC/DC sorta way.

Mr MidFi
07-09-2009, 05:44 AM
I'm digging the new Wilco, too. As Slosh mentions, it is more upbeat and (I would say) more interesting from the first listen than their last effort. It'll make my YIR top 10 easily.

Then again, if you don't already have Summerteeth or YHF... you might want to start there.

Swish
07-09-2009, 03:39 PM
I really wish I hadn't heard it in a car first, but my buddy had the cd and I didn't, until today that is since my package arrived from DeepDiscount. I liked it pretty much but I'm not ready to heap the praise like Slosh did. I really need to hear it through my new speakers. Oh, did I mention that I got Paradigm Studio 100s? :14:

Mr MidFi
07-10-2009, 05:26 AM
I really wish I hadn't heard it in a car first, but my buddy had the cd and I didn't, until today that is since my package arrived from DeepDiscount. I liked it pretty much but I'm not ready to heap the praise like Slosh did. I really need to hear it through my new speakers. Oh, did I mention that I got Paradigm Studio 100s? :14:

Yeah, it's gonna sound better on the Paradigms...no doubt. There's some interesting things going on beneath the deceptive minimalism of "Bull Black Nova," for example.