Can someone direct me to some info on Banana Plugs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can someone direct me to some info on Banana Plugs

kexodusc
03-22-2004, 06:40 AM
When (if ever) is it beneficial to use banana plugs? What are these (possible) advantages? Can anyone direct me to a decent link on the subject? I've been unsuccessful. Thanks

okiemax
03-22-2004, 06:51 AM
When (if ever) is it beneficial to use banana plugs? What are these (possible) advantages? Can anyone direct me to a decent link on the subject? I've been unsuccessful. Thanks

You may find some information on the following link:

http://www.goodsound.com/howto/2002_03_01.htm

E-Stat
03-22-2004, 09:16 AM
When (if ever) is it beneficial to use banana plugs?
While okiemax's link provided most of the arguments, I find banana plugs especially useful in tight spaces as found on my AV receiver. Unlike my mono tube amps with acres of nearby real estate to use big fat spades, there are a gillion connections on the back of the receiver in a comparatively small space.

rw

markw
03-22-2004, 10:39 AM
While okiemax's link provided most of the arguments, I find banana plugs especially useful in tight spaces as found on my AV receiver. Unlike my mono tube amps with acres of nearby real estate to use big fat spades, there are a gillion connections on the back of the receiver in a comparatively small space.

rw

Convenience is the most important benefit as far as I can see. There's lotsa plugs on the back of these monsters and the less time I spend behind then, the more time I have to play with 'em. That, plus short circuits are a thing of the past.

kexodusc
03-22-2004, 11:03 AM
Thanks guys...Any audible disadvantages to these things?
Oh, I've always wondered this too: how does a short circuit happen with bare wire? What damage or side effects does this cause?

markw
03-22-2004, 11:32 AM
Thanks guys...Any audible disadvantages to these things?
Although some may claim otherwise , there's none that I can hear.

how does a short circuit happen with bare wire?
When a wire, even one single strand, from the "+" side of the amp touches a wire from the "-" side of the amp anywhere in the path, a short circuit occurs. This will, at best, stop the speakers from getting a signal and, at worst, may cause expensive damage to your amplifier.

What damage or side effects does this cause?

If you're very very lucky, your amp's protective circuit will kick in and the amp will be silent. Generally, some kind of indicator light or some such will notify you of this. When you remove the short and restart the system it should go back to normal. Don't count on this though.

If you're not lucky, your amp will simply cease to work ...until you send it out for repair.

It's not wise to experiment with this to see how your amp handles this situation. Take every possible precaution to avoid shorts. Two rules I recommend when kerfutzing with wires.

1) Always power down all equipment when doing so.

2) Always check your speaker connections very, very carefully, particularly when working with unterminated (bare) wires. One single strand may be hard to see by eye back there but your amp will have no trouble dectecting it.

Rockwell
03-22-2004, 11:41 AM
1) Always power down all equipment when doing so.

2) Always check your speaker connections very, very carefully, particularly when working with unterminated (bare) wires. One single strand may be hard to see by eye back there but your amp will have no trouble dectecting it.

Where's the excitement in that! Live on the edge, I say. :D

kexodusc
03-22-2004, 12:12 PM
Geez, I've owned decent audio equipment for over 10 years and never really thought of that. I can't imagine anyone who loves their equipment to allow loose strands to stick out. I think I'll take the plunge and switch to banana plugs, things are getting a bit crowded back there.