Kim Mitchell just read my email on the air. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Kim Mitchell just read my email on the air.

ForeverAutumn
07-07-2009, 01:13 PM
I know it's silly, but it was kind of exciting too. :D I mean, it's Kim Mitchell!

He was playing a Triumph tune and I shot off an email asking whether he's heard anything more about a Triumph reunion show in Toronto. He's friends with all the members.

He read my email on the air and then proceeded to answer it.

(The short answer is "no, he hasn't heard anything new". There was supposed to be a tour, but it hasn't materialized...in case anyone cares)

But it was KIM MITCHELL reading it!!! It was almost like having a real conversation with him...only I wasn't in the room. LMAO!

I need to go home now. It's been a long day...

GMichael
07-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Sounds like you got your thrill of the day. Congrats.

Vanessa Carlton (Pop singer) is from the town I live in now. This summer she was part of the music festival that Altec Lansing throws in our town each year. Our friend's 17 year old daughter heard about the show and came out to see. Afterwards, Vanessa stuck around and talked with most everyone. She told us how she "used to wait in this very park for her school bus." Our friend's daughter almost fainted from the excitement of having a "star" talk directly to her. Was kinda funny to me.

bobsticks
07-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Who is Kim Mitchell?

No...seriously.

Luvin Da Blues
07-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Who is Kim Mitchell?

No...seriously.

Kim Mitchell is Max Webster...confused now???

Does Patio Lanterns help?

Luvin Da Blues
07-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Oh and that's cool FA, I just found out Buddy Guy is playin our local Blues Fest and as I was talking to the promoter, she said ther's a good chance of getting me into the green room.

Finch Platte
07-07-2009, 02:27 PM
What the hell does KM do anymore? Has he even written a good song in the last 20 years? Put out any albums?

Not putting him down, I like the guy, but... And does he still wear backwards cycling caps & spandex? :crazy:

And his live DVD slays! Never seen a band open with 3 drummers doing a huge solo.
:7: :7: :7:

Hyfi
07-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Who is Kim Mitchell?

No...seriously.

Gotta second that one. Never heard of him - her.

Luvin Da Blues
07-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Gotta second that one. Never heard of him - her.

I wish I could say that. :biggrin5:

ForeverAutumn
07-07-2009, 06:11 PM
I guess you gotta be Canadian.

Kim Mitchell was the frontman for 70's prog band Max Webster. We MW broke up he went on to have a successful solo career. He plays a wicked guitar. He was huge in Canada in the 80's and many of his songs are considered classics.

Currently, he has full-time gig as the drive time DJ on radio station Q107, but he still takes time off to tour. We've seen him perform several times and he always puts on a great show.

Finch, I don't know about the caps, but it's been a long time since I've seen him in spandex. Oh, and he's bald now.

:)

kexodusc
07-08-2009, 04:07 AM
Oh and that's cool FA, I just found out Buddy Guy is playin our local Blues Fest and as I was talking to the promoter, she said ther's a good chance of getting me into the green room.
That's cool...we had Buddy out east last year at ours, got to meet him. Very humble.
That little tea cup he has with him...he goes through a bottle of Courvoisier cognac faster than anyone I've seen.

nightflier
07-08-2009, 02:45 PM
So what's Kim Mitchell got to do with Triumph? Or did I misunderstand that too? We were talking about the same Canadian band of Fight the Good Fight and Magic Power fame, right?

Mr Peabody
07-09-2009, 05:38 AM
Kim didn't ask you to go for a soda? I had an email read once on the air but it was one of those talk jocks and I was giving him a ration of crap, he read my email to point out my spelling error :) I also spoke to Rick Metlock on the phone once when he was filling in for an Atlanta morning DJ, that was pretty exciting so I can relate some. I sure didn't realize you all considerred Max Webster Prog. Isn't that a stretch?

NF, pay attention Kim and Triumph, theys friends, post #1. :)

I met Lonnie Brooks and had him autograph a CD for me, does that count? I also met the guys from Gypsy at a CD signing. Yeah, I bought the CD with Dead and Gone on it. Any one familiar with Gypsy? Interesting sound.

nightflier
07-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Oh.

My parents sat next to Rod Stewart once in a restaurant in San Francisco. He was in a bit of a mood, so they didn't dare go up and say anything (it wasn't that kind of restaurant).

I saw Prince make an appearance (as a patron, not a performer) at a club in Amsterdam called IT. He had bad breath.

ForeverAutumn
07-09-2009, 01:20 PM
I met Lonnie Brooks and had him autograph a CD for me, does that count? I also met the guys from Gypsy at a CD signing. Yeah, I bought the CD with Dead and Gone on it. Any one familiar with Gypsy? Interesting sound.

If we're gonna include autograph sessions then I've met the member of Yes. Now THAT was exciting!!!

Swish
07-09-2009, 03:36 PM
He was huge in Canada in the 80's

That's why we don't know him/her.

Mr Peabody
07-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Here dude: http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B00000720H/ref=pd_krex_dp_a

Battle Scar is their best known song in U.S.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B000001YKP/192-6757950-0720313/ref=pd_krex_dp_a?refTagSuffix=&volume=4

ForeverAutumn
07-10-2009, 06:24 AM
Here dude: http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B00000720H/ref=pd_krex_dp_a

Battle Scar is their best known song in U.S.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B000001YKP/192-6757950-0720313/ref=pd_krex_dp_a?refTagSuffix=&volume=4

Ah, Battle Scar, with guest vocalist Geddy Lee. Amazing!

Swish, you've probably heard Kim Mitchell songs and not known it. But it's not your cup of tea. You'd probably hate him. His heyday was in the 80's. But he's still very well known in Canada.

Do you hear Tom Cochrane's music in the US?

ForeverAutumn
07-10-2009, 06:36 AM
Hey Finch, Here's what Kim looks like today...

I don't know what the deal is with the dead crowd in this clip. Everytime we've seen him everyone's been on their feet and dancing.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H4rHW9HHfTQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H4rHW9HHfTQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ForeverAutumn
07-10-2009, 06:43 AM
The Max Webster Band (lol) on Top of the Pops circa 1979...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WUhc8-vUp8o&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WUhc8-vUp8o&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Swish
07-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Hey Finch, Here's what Kim looks like today...

I don't know what the deal is with the dead crowd in this clip. Everytime we've seen him everyone's been on their feet and dancing.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H4rHW9HHfTQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H4rHW9HHfTQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Well, let's say almost since I've heard times of crap in my lifetime. I think I'd rather stay home and stick pins in my eyes. :)

nightflier
07-10-2009, 01:06 PM
I don't know what the deal is with the dead crowd in this clip. Everytime we've seen him everyone's been on their feet...

...because they were leaving?

Just kidding. Although his music isn't exactly the kind of music that would make me want to get up an dance, but YMMV.

ForeverAutumn
07-10-2009, 02:04 PM
See Swishy? I knew you'd hate him!

nightflier, that's not his best performance. He's actually very dynamic on stage and puts on a great show. Most of his music is much more upbeat than those two videos would lead you to believe. Even that version of Patio Lanterns is very low key from it's usual tempo.

nightflier
07-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I would have gone with this video instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMacBJy5EII

Still has to work to get the crowd to sing along, but at least he looks like he's having a good time on stage.

Mr Peabody
07-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Tom Cocran..... wouldn't recognize it if I did hear it. Is he the guy from Red Rider? Lunatic Fringe gets a pretty regular spin on our home town R&R station.

I posted those links and ended up buying that disc with Go For A Soda, Kimbo. Some vendor had one for $5.35.

Which side of the border was Mahogany Rush from? There's some R&R but you don't hear it any more unless you're like me and have the old slabs of wax. I'd love to get What's Next on CD. Something's Coming Our Way had my amps cranked to 11 for, a long time.

Any April Wine still on Canadian air waves? Those guys are a big St.L fav. I really like April Wine, they're one of those bands whose sound changed over the years, and also couldn't make up their mind if they were Pop or Hard Rock. They did both pretty well. As well as make some killer songs like Wings Of Love.

Moxie's, Sail On, Sail Away is a monster St.L classic.

ForeverAutumn
07-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Tom Cocran..... wouldn't recognize it if I did hear it. Is he the guy from Red Rider? Lunatic Fringe gets a pretty regular spin on our home town R&R station.

I posted those links and ended up buying that disc with Go For A Soda, Kimbo. Some vendor had one for $5.35.

Which side of the border was Mahogany Rush from? There's some R&R but you don't hear it any more unless you're like me and have the old slabs of wax. I'd love to get What's Next on CD. Something's Coming Our Way had my amps cranked to 11 for, a long time.

Any April Wine still on Canadian air waves? Those guys are a big St.L fav. I really like April Wine, they're one of those bands whose sound changed over the years, and also couldn't make up their mind if they were Pop or Hard Rock. They did both pretty well. As well as make some killer songs like Wings Of Love.

Moxie's, Sail On, Sail Away is a monster St.L classic.

Yeah, Tom Cochrane is the Red Rider guy. He had a huge hit a few years back with Life Is A Highway.

April Wine still get a fair bit of airplay on the classic rock station. They still tour frequently and play a lot of bars and festivals. But I don't know how many of the members from the 80's version of the band are still involved.

As a matter of fact, we saw April Wine and Kim Mitchell at the same show a few years ago. The line-up was April Wine, Kim Mitchell, and David Wilcox. Unfortunately, halfway through Wilcox's set a couple of fights broke out in the crowd and we decided that it was time to leave.

Mr Peabody
07-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Oh yeah, Life Is A Highway was huge. Made popular again as covered by Rascal Flatts. I think it was RF's version that made onto the Cars soundtrack.

Swish
07-11-2009, 09:48 AM
See Swishy? I knew you'd hate him!

nightflier, that's not his best performance. He's actually very dynamic on stage and puts on a great show. Most of his music is much more upbeat than those two videos would lead you to believe. Even that version of Patio Lanterns is very low key from it's usual tempo.

Accurate, but strong. :p He's not going to convince me on that song. I really did mean it when I said the lyrics sound contrived. They don't always have to rhyme, but could he at least make some attempt? Rappers get away with it and could find a way to rhyme something with silver, orange or purple.

bobsticks
07-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Rappers get away with it and could find a way to rhyme something with silver, orange or purple.

...cuz ahm down with the milver, mout lika porange...wit a big muth****** erkl durple

...see, easy enough.

When I was in college we locked our pledges in a trophy room with an elevated ceiling. We then proceeded to drop a boombox speaker down an airvent and played "Lunatic Fringe" on repeat for eighteen hours straight. Many were never the same....

Mr Peabody
07-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Actually, isn't purple one of the few words that don't rhyme with anything? Maybe orange as well. Of course, you can add to purple, like, purplr haze... all in my brain.... or, use it twice, like, lemon lemon, orange orange...... but I'm pretty sure they don't rhyme with any actual word. Somebody have a dictionary :)

nightflier
07-12-2009, 12:20 AM
Sticks a frat-boy? It's amazing the ironies you find out about people if you hang around here long enough.

"Thank you sir, may I have another?" Now Sticks, don't start telling us about the virtues of song fest or how that elephant-walk brought you all so much closer together....