Blood: The Last Vampire (remake & anime in general) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Blood: The Last Vampire (remake & anime in general)

dean_martin
07-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Anyone seen this live action remake yet? I understand it's in limited release.

The anime version came in at under an hour (48min). I remember enjoying the cool look of the film. When it comes to anime, I tend to see things in two categories: 1) a jerky, very busy-like style that makes me fidgety, or 2) a hypnotic style - even the fight/action scenes have a trance-inducing ambiance. The anime version of Blood fell in the latter category.

What's new in anime? We haven't had a related thread in quite some time. Since the last one here years ago, I've seen Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away (and Blood as mentioned above).

Kam
07-07-2009, 06:45 AM
Anyone seen this live action remake yet? I understand it's in limited release.

The anime version came in at under an hour (48min). I remember enjoying the cool look of the film. When it comes to anime, I tend to see things in two categories: 1) a jerky, very busy-like style that makes me fidgety, or 2) a hypnotic style - even the fight/action scenes have a trance-inducing ambiance. The anime version of Blood fell in the latter category.

What's new in anime? We haven't had a related thread in quite some time. Since the last one here years ago, I've seen Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away (and Blood as mentioned above).

i have the anime version on my netflix queue. i didn't know there was a live action version out, but i'll keep my eye open for it.

i think the biggest news (on this very limited side) of anime are the upcoming movies from them, M. Knight is doing a live-action anime cover, and James Cameron's Avatar and Battleangel are supposed to be groundbreaking.

Edit: It opens this Friday, July 10th. I'll see if i can check it out this weekend and report back!

Kam
07-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Saw this on Sunday! I still have to watch all of the anime, but the opening, at least, is very faithful to the cartoon. (the train sequence) and her conversation to go undercover at the school.

It drags a little in the middle, and the fight sequences are a touch choppy, but it was good entertainment. I liked it with a major caveat being the special effects at one point become ludicrous. When the vamps take on their full demon form, it is a little comical. Scratch that, it's totally comical. But still entertaining. :)

dean_martin
07-20-2009, 07:24 AM
Saw this on Sunday! I still have to watch all of the anime, but the opening, at least, is very faithful to the cartoon. (the train sequence) and her conversation to go undercover at the school.

It drags a little in the middle, and the fight sequences are a touch choppy, but it was good entertainment. I liked it with a major caveat being the special effects at one point become ludicrous. When the vamps take on their full demon form, it is a little comical. Scratch that, it's totally comical. But still entertaining. :)

Thanks for the report, Kam. I'll probably have to wait 'til it hits dvd unless it gets a wider release. Sounds like good fun.

Kam
07-20-2009, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the report, Kam. I'll probably have to wait 'til it hits dvd unless it gets a wider release. Sounds like good fun.

and she does look awefully cute in her sailor-school girl outfit fighting with the samurai sword! :D

dean_martin
07-20-2009, 10:00 AM
and she does look awefully cute in her sailor-school girl outfit fighting with the samurai sword! :D

ahhh...then you might like the Sukeban Deka movies. I have one on vhs. Unfortunately, I can't tell which one without a translator. It's time to update my sailor-school girl collection to dvd.

Yes, that's a deadly yo-yo in her hand.

jrhymeammo
07-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Man, that's classic. I used to watch the TV episodes and begged my parents to buy me a Sukeban Deka Yo-Yo. Thanks for the memories, I'd forgotten about that.

JRA

dean_martin
07-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Man, that's classic. I used to watch the TV episodes and begged my parents to buy me a Sukeban Deka Yo-Yo. Thanks for the memories, I'd forgotten about that.

JRA

cool! where did you watch the tv episodes? I think I have the first movie on vhs. I ordered it from Video Search of Miami many years ago and they weren't too clear on whether they had tv episodes or one of the movies.

jrhymeammo
07-24-2009, 04:51 PM
I was born in Japan and the Sukeban Deka was one of the "hottest" thing during the 80's.
I'm not sure how they would hold against today's modern shows or movies, but wouldn't mind finding out. I think I'll browse around and see if I can get my hands on one of them.

JRA