What do you know about the new Alice In Chains? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What do you know about the new Alice In Chains?

Mr Peabody
07-05-2009, 03:29 PM
I don't know much about the bands history but I thought their singer died. They do have a new album out or coming out. Who will be doing vocals? Any one excited about this release?

kexodusc
07-06-2009, 04:01 AM
Yeah they have a new singer, William DuVall.
Alice in Chains was pretty awesome back in the day, one of my favs from my teenage days. I didn't mind Cantrell's solo work. I'm not sure how this new album is gonna do, I suspect it won't be given a fair chance, and I have mixed feelings about the band carrying on without Layne Staley, even if Cantrell did most of the writing. Still, I guess the other guys have the right to play on.

I wonder how people would feel if Nirvana pulled some other singer out of the blue and released a new album?

Mr Peabody
07-06-2009, 05:26 AM
I hear you but from a business stand point people know the name Alice In Chains and a new name may be a harder sell. I guess it depends on how much radio support it received, a lot of times the jocks will explain who's behind the name of a project like this. For instance, they sure are quick to say who Chickenfoot is. There seems to be a bit of buzz about the AIC album though but that doesn't mean the fans will go for it.

kexodusc
07-06-2009, 05:43 AM
I hear you but from a business stand point people know the name Alice In Chains and a new name may be a harder sell. I guess it depends on how much radio support it received, a lot of times the jocks will explain who's behind the name of a project like this. For instance, they sure are quick to say who Chickenfoot is. There seems to be a bit of buzz about the AIC album though but that doesn't mean the fans will go for it.
Yeah, Cantrell usually puts out some interesting sounds either way, so I'll definitely give it a listen. I think the name-recognition is the biggest reason why they keep it...helps them sell tickets on the tours they've been on and probalby helped them get the album out.

Curiousity usually leads people to try the album out when a new singer is added. In some bands the vocalist doesn't get involved much in the songwriting or "signature sound" of the band so they can carry on. With AIC, Staley probably supplied around 25% of the creative juices but his voice, back then, was rather unique and played a big part in Alice's sound...to the point there's been hundreds of copy-cat singers that sing like Staley, many of which have gone on to make millions. It's kinda funny, because of that, a replacement singer should be easier to find, but at the same time the comparison will definitely be made and it's almost an unrealistic expectation. I've heard bootleg stuff with DuVall...I won't knock him at all, but I'm curious to hear what new AIC sounds like. A killer single would help....