XM Radio Newbie [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : XM Radio Newbie

Jack in Wilmington
07-04-2009, 05:08 AM
My new car came with XM radio (free for 3 months) and when we went on vacation we realized how nice it is not to be searching for stations all the time. So long story short, we will be keeping it when the three months are up. My question is, if I get an XM receiver for the house, is that a seperate fee from the car one? My Onkyo receiver has connections for an XM receiver.

Also you guys with XM, what are some of your favorite stations?

Woochifer
07-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Yep, you have to buy a separate subscription for each unit. I don't know what plan options are available, but I know that each XM receiver has to be authorized separately.

If you like XM's programming and want to use it at home, you could also look into Dish or Directv. Both of them use XM to provide their music channels. They don't include the talk stations, sports programs, or special programs (e.g., Howard Stern), so if that's what you listen to, you're obviously best off sticking with using the XM tuner on your receiver.

Jack in Wilmington
07-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Yep, you have to buy a separate subscription for each unit. I don't know what plan options are available, but I know that each XM receiver has to be authorized separately.

If you like XM's programming and want to use it at home, you could also look into Dish or Directv. Both of them use XM to provide their music channels. They don't include the talk stations, sports programs, or special programs (e.g., Howard Stern), so if that's what you listen to, you're obviously best off sticking with using the XM tuner on your receiver.

Thanks, that's what I figured. I have Verizon Fios and it has about 80 all music channels. I guess we're going to just have to enjoy XM in the car. We really like the 40's and 50's music on XM. Most of it was before our time, but it's the music our parents grew up with. So we can sort of see what it was like when they were young.